Solved

Home internet and gaming

• 11 January 2021
  • 40 replies

Badge

Hello. So I got T mobile home internet, due to the best available in my area being AT&T (which I despise).

After running a speedtest, I was thrilled to see the results. I’m a big gamer, and faster is better! Or so I thought. Trying to play PC games, I was constantly errored out and disconnected. Wondering why, and getting pretty upset, I hit google to find answers. Apparently its a port forwarding issue? I’m not that savvy when it comes to these things.

My question is, is there any kind of fix? Or should I just count my losses, stick with AT&T?

icon

Best answer by PinkMagenta 10 March 2021, 06:47

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

40 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Yeah, I was holding out for ATT to get fiber into my neighborhood as an alternative to $pectrum... but they stopped a few blocks short with the last round of expansion. Maybe they'll get to us in 2022.

At least I have been with TMO long enough to qualify for the $50 offer for a year IF I need to go back to a wired line.

I also have my own Asus router, so I have the option of trying router based VPN with someone like Surfshark or Proton that offers P2P support if I get back into more serious online games. They both have annual plans that make them pretty cheap, so may be worth trying if one is already using a VPN regularly on their phones/computers and such.

But so far, the ~50mbps or better I typically get from TMO is working for our current generic usage.

And that is the key right now... it is geared more for casual users.  They were not prepared for people who really push their internet to the next level.

I just got mine today. Couldn’t get hbo max to work on my tv, Xbox live shows moderate nat but goes away after retesting. Latency is much higher than lan when gaming (40ms higher even with full reception and 5g). Packet drops are obvious and latency spikes happen enough to cause problems. I really think this needs midband 5g to make a big change and they need to offer a modem only option. Not to mention the 2+ hour hold time to talk with support. Unfortunately I’m returning mine tomorrow because it doesn’t work for me.

One fix I found that works is changing the DNS server to google or cloudflare. Here’s a article to help you understand about DNS severs & which one to choose. https://www.techradar.com/news/best-dns-server

Hopefully with software updates this will be fixed so all streaming services will work properly. Also yeah the packet loss & latency is bad & needs to be fixed as well. Far as changing the NAT here’s how you fix that.

You’re welcome!  

I installed my home internet on Jan 7( grey tower). I have had issues with upnp when playing on my Xbox. Games play fine (destiny) I just can’t join or start a chat party. As others have said there are no settings on n this new gateway device. As a workaround I use my phone and the Xbox app to join or start chat parties and this has been working. Not ideal but until I can fix the nat issues it will do. Speed is great ~150 dn, -30up. Latency has been 60-120.

Here is what I said 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Yeah, I was holding out for ATT to get fiber into my neighborhood as an alternative to $pectrum... but they stopped a few blocks short with the last round of expansion. Maybe they'll get to us in 2022

….

Sorry to have to say this, but don’t hold your breath.. it ain’t gonna happen.  ATT stopped deploying fiber when they met the FCC requirements for their Dish acquisition back in 2019.  and haven’t expanded it since.

It would take another merger deal ‘deemed worthy’ by the FCC… or another massive tax payer cash infusion for them to do anything… as in $billions$  and  even then, they probably wouldn’t expand suburban areas (too much zoning and city requirements to deal with).. and would most likely only deploy to new areas in rural places.

ya i know,  I am literally surrounded by ATT fiber plants.. unfortunately they’re all about 2 blocks away, and it’s been like that for 3 years…. no changes since.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

ATT actually just ended an expansion phase here a few months back... wasn't tied to a larger corporate initiative, but a localized one.

Been a lot of localized infrustracture changes here... roads/bridges getting rebuilt/expanded, both residential and commercial expansion, new schools--all kinds of stuff going on and partnerships forming up to bring things more up to date.  It is all coming on the heels of a ~10 year downtown revitalization project that has branched outwards.

I live on the edge of the newer commercial sector, a 10 minute walk from a new school that had just opened that fall before Covid hit.  The last fiber lines ATT dropped here literally turn south from my neighborhood towards that school just 2 blocks away.  Homes on the other side of the Neighborhood Walmart that sits on the other side of the stoplight at the corner of our parking lot has fiber--12 blocks north of us, fiber is available again.  The country club homes on the other side of the creek that runs along the back of our neighborhood property also has fiber.

It is almost literally all around us, they just didn't build out tothe new switch assembly in the middle of our complex.

If we could get enough of the 88 households on board for a special assessment we could probably get a build out to one of the nearby nodes--but too many are content with their current DSL/Cable options atm (mostly an older crowd that don't use the web that heavily).  Been getting the younger couples to make some noise about it though... who knows what may come of it.

With TMO and now Verizon jumping into the fray (slowly seeing the black 5g mini towers popping up along some of these new fiber runs), who knows just what new options may present themselves over the next year or so.

That is something I feel lot of people need to be mindful of in general:

Every provider should be ramping things up to respond to the new technologies and the competition it will bring to their markets.

Keep your eyes and ears open for new offerings to appear. 

My white box unit has recently started dropping connections to my devices. Usually, the 5G connection stops working but, occasionally the 2.4 GHz connection goes out as well. The box seems to indicate everything is fine but, the connections to the device don’t work and require a power cycle of the box. Very annoying. 

I started experiencing the same thing a couple of weeks ago, and we can’t connect to Xbox live features (Chat, multiplayer modes). I’m guessing it’s an update thing, but I’ve been on hold with T-Mobile’s “Dedicated Customer Service” number for 53 minutes and counting so can’t get any answers. Anyone have any idea how to do this “port forwarding thing? I got suggested ports to use from Xbox, but I don’t know how to input them into the Virtual Servers area. I know it’s the T-Mobile internet connection because if I use my mobile hotspot, everything works. Any help on how the virtual server thing works would be GREATLY appreciated!

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

My white box unit has recently started dropping connections to my devices. Usually, the 5G connection stops working but, occasionally the 2.4 GHz connection goes out as well. The box seems to indicate everything is fine but, the connections to the device don’t work and require a power cycle of the box. Very annoying. 

I started experiencing the same thing a couple of weeks ago, and we can’t connect to Xbox live features (Chat, multiplayer modes). I’m guessing it’s an update thing, but I’ve been on hold with T-Mobile’s “Dedicated Customer Service” number for 53 minutes and counting so can’t get any answers. Anyone have any idea how to do this “port forwarding thing? I got suggested ports to use from Xbox, but I don’t know how to input them into the Virtual Servers area. I know it’s the T-Mobile internet connection because if I use my mobile hotspot, everything works. Any help on how the virtual server thing works would be GREATLY appreciated!

Port forwarding is broken on the T-Mobile side of the equation, so setting the rules either manually or automatically through UPnP will not work without a very specific type of VPN setup. 

The only things like this that work “properly” are stateful connections, and some of those still may require using a VPN to work properly--which in most cases restricts it to PC applications only.  IF you are able to get a VPN running on your router it MIGHT recover some partial functionality to the consoles, but not a guarantee.

Only solution I have found that “guarantees” to get around it all would cost an additional $16/month through a premium VPN with static IP that allows you to set custom forwarding rules (many supporting P2P only do so for certain known applications, like bit torrent and such--no guarantee it will work with game systems), and that is when signing up at an annual rate (costs more if you want to pay quarterly/monthly).  Which almost defeats the reason for moving to T-Mobile in the first place for me (the cost savings).

They need to revamp how they are handling the dual v4/v6 stack on their end for these things to work properly across the board.

Hello! I apologize that you are having issues with Home Internet. I personally use T-Mobile Home Internet for Gaming, and I can agree with you it can be a little frustrating getting it to work with Video Games if at all. The reason for this (confirmed by a Supervisor from Home Internet department) is because the High-Speed Gateway lacks the “UPnP” feature which in short terms is used to connect to certain aspects of a Video Game such as Chat Systems for example. Without UPnP, video gaming can be tough. T-Mobile is aware of the issue, and they are working on a fix, but don’t know when it will be released. I hope my answer has helped. Have a great week!

i hope they hurry up and fix it 

Userlevel 2
Badge

I just installed the grey version this week and haven’t had the problems described by others. I have an HP Omen laptop that I use for gaming and it works well with the T-Mobile 5G connection. My laptop reports a Wi-Fi 6 connection and running a speed test showed a download speed of up to 200. The ping of 42 was higher than I prefer, but so far, all of my MMO games are working with no significant lag problems.

I only have a xbox only

Userlevel 1
Badge

I have the new gray router.  It does NOT do well with streaming or gaming.

I haven’t had any problems with my PS4, PSN or even cross-play. I’m also able to stream to Twitch from my PS4 without issue. Just have the grey gateway and all devices connected wirelessly. I get 2-3 bars with a speed generally >/= 50Mbps down, 25+Mbps up, latency of 40-60ms and jitter of ~3-20ms. I’d urge you to create a ticket with T-Force to reach a home internet rep for troubleshooting.

On a general level and with the gateway plugged in, reset the gateway and allow it to fully reboot. During setup when you’re instructed to change the WiFi name and password, choose a name not used before. If a popup message asks if you want to join the newly named network, wait about 10-20 secs before tapping to do so. After completing setup, go back into the network settings via the home internet app and change the network name (and password if necessary) to the one you usually/really want. Again, if a popup messages asks to join the new network, wait for another 10-20secs before tapping to do so. With everything now to your liking, reboot the other devices that’ll “reconnect” to your WiFi network. Once reconnected, then test the network for appropriate access for streaming, etc. 

Hope this helps some. 

Hello! I apologize that you are having issues with Home Internet. I personally use T-Mobile Home Internet for Gaming, and I can agree with you it can be a little frustrating getting it to work with Video Games if at all. The reason for this (confirmed by a Supervisor from Home Internet department) is because the High-Speed Gateway lacks the “UPnP” feature which in short terms is used to connect to certain aspects of a Video Game such as Chat Systems for example. Without UPnP, video gaming can be tough. T-Mobile is aware of the issue, and they are working on a fix, but don’t know when it will be released. I hope my answer has helped. Have a great week!

This is a deal breaker for me then… I need to be able to access my games & gaming networks. Just setup my grey modem and I can’t access my entire Steam Library on my PC. PlayStation is choppy as well… c’mon T-Mobile, please fix this. I don’t want to call my cable company and go back to them. 

Yea they put a ticket in to fix it I hope they do because I mite have to go back to cox internet or satellite internet 

Hello. I’ve recently bought the gray model and so far I’ve had no issues with the service except when it comes down to Xbox live parties. For some reason my parties keep getting disconnected. This even happens when the NAT is open and the Universal plug and play port is successfully working. Not sure what to do now. I was on the phone with T-Mobile for hours and after their fixes failed, they are now running a diagnostics test on the tower the router is connecting to and also check all in depth connections. The technician told me that if they find any abnormality, they will assume the router is defective and send me a new router. Has anyone tried this and does it work? Has anyone been able to fix their Xbox live parties? I’m been so stressed and frustrated about this it’s rediculous.  

This is a deal breaker for me then… I need to be able to access my games & gaming networks. Just setup my grey modem and I can’t access my entire Steam Library on my PC. PlayStation is choppy as well… c’mon T-Mobile, please fix this. I don’t want to call my cable company and go back to them. 

Yea I hope soon