Question

Home Internet and wifi extender

• 28 October 2020
  • 7 replies

Badge +1

Is there any reason I cannot use a wifi extender with my home internet service?

7 replies

There is no reason why a wifi extender cannot work with the home internet service.  If you’re looking to buy an extender I would suggest confirming that it will work with an existing wifi router (the home internet box essentially contains a wifi router).

Badge +1

I can’t get Netgear or TP-Link extenders to work. Blocks main 2.4 connection until I turn off extender. Tried the factory reset twice on each one. Probably some tiny simple but can figure it out. Any suggestions?

Badge

Don’t forget, the signal from the extender will cut speed in half.  And, normally will not have an identical name to the main router.

Badge +1

The extender doesn’t reduce speed by 50% or very much at all. 

Badge

My one experience was w. a Netgear extender.  Not only was speed cut almost in half - but the signal emanating therefrom had a slightly diff. name.  Couldn’t set up a whole home speaker system because of lack of similar name.  Got the mesh system at that point.

Badge +1

The issue may have been the 10 device limit on each band. That’s a real bummer for an otherwise great experience. Wondering if if the extender counts as one 1/10 devices the I can connect more to that extender to essentially loophole the ten device limit. 

Badge +1

I can’t get Netgear or TP-Link extenders to work. Blocks main 2.4 connection until I turn off extender. Tried the factory reset twice on each one. Probably some tiny simple but can figure it out. Any suggestions?

Still having issues with this. Cannot get three different extenders to work. It’s not related to the 10 device limit either. I can get the extender to work with TMobile Hotspot though. Just not Home Internet. Any suggestions?