Question

Home Internet and wifi extender

• 28 October 2020
  • 44 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Is there any reason I cannot use a wifi extender with my home internet service?

44 replies

Userlevel 1

Just curious I have the new t mobile home internet gateway is there a good cheap booster to make the signal  distance long and better 

Just curious I have the new t mobile home internet gateway is there a good cheap booster to make the signal  distance long and better 

I am wondering the same and hoping for an answer in plain, non-tech-expert language. Thanks!

Did you ever get an answer? I’m wondering the same thing. Thanks

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

The extender doesn’t reduce speed by 50% or very much at all. 

I use a separate EAP1250 access point nowhere near the router and it works fine. I just hooked it up to an ethernet connection via a switch on the same LAN as the router. I configured it with a static IP address which works with the router’s fixed subnet and basically ignore the Wifi that came with it. This seems to work well and has a much better signal in my home and garage (for the wifi enabled sprinkler control). It isn’t mounted to the roof, just next to the switch.

EAP1250 - Wi-Fi 5 Wave 2 AC1300 Compact Indoor Wireless AP

I expect this will work with any standalone access point which doesn’t just retransmit another signal.

I don’t know what you just said but I want it if it works. I have no clue about networking,subnets,static IP’s etc, will this work for dummies? Lol I’ve gotten a Linksys, TP Link and net gear extenders and none work. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I can’t get Netgear or TP-Link extenders to work. Blocks main 2.4 connection until I turn off extender. Tried the factory reset twice on each one. Probably some tiny simple but can figure it out. Any suggestions?

Userlevel 1

I split my home internet into 2 networks, 2.4 and 5G. I had to for Roku to work. Now what extender works to get better signal in a farther off room? Will an over-electric-circuit work better than wifi? Will either the former connected to gateway with Ethernet or latter pick up both networks?

Greetings all,

I just wanted to share what I did to get the hub to work with other devices, and why I had to do it this way in the first place. I recently switched internet providers, and went full on T-Mobile, as I have been with them for almost 20 years.

What happened to me was that when I switched providers and gave up my old provider equipment, my MyQ Smart Garage hub stopped working with my security system. I searched around to see if anyone else had this problem(which it seems no one does), but I could not find an answer. But, what I see is many others having similar issues with other devices. When I attempted to connect the MyQ Smart Hub to T-Mobile’s Internet Hub, I see a device compatibility issue. 

So the work around I used, which I imagine most people here with legacy devices could use is this:

1.) Get a router with 2.4/5Ghz capabilities

2.) Take one of the ethernet ports on the back of T-Mobile Hub, and plug directly into the router

3.) Go into the admin portion of the router and select “Bridge mode”, and leave the settings as default. What this does, is allows the T-mobile hub to act as a gateway, and pass internet traffic through the router to legacy devices. It turns the router into a “Core router”, and the hub acts as a “WAN Edge”, which is the gateway to the internet.

4.) Create a wifi SSID inside the router, with passphrase and security. This is for all of your legacy devices to connect to.

5.) Once the connection is established between the hub and the router, reboot both. 

6.) Connect to router SSID and test internet. If it works, then you are good. This also helps you avoid the 10 device limit on your T-Mobile hub. If you have guests over, or excessive devices exceeding 10, then connect through the router and it ignores that limit.

Sorry its a little lengthy, but I hope this helps some

of you. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

I’ve tested with success using my two Apple AirPort Extreme routers. First test was a short ethernet cable to the first AIrPort and wireless to the second AriPort. That worked fine. Then I set it up connecting one AirPort to the Gateway with a long Ethernet cable (in the walls in my house already). That works fine too. No noticeable signal loss. I don’t see anyway to connect any router or extender to the Gateway without an ethernet cable.

I was very interested in this discussion as I have an “old” (2015) Netgear AC1200 (EX6150) WIFI Range Extender which I had been using with my AT&T “Internet 24” (24 MBPS) service.  For quite awhile now I’ve wanted (a) faster internet and (b) to get away from AT&T’s email service due to the large amount of spam and junk mail I receive on a daily basis.  Of course, I’m in no way obligated to use AT&T’s email but, for me the two are inexplicably linked. 

Anyways, my search led me to find T-Mobile’s Home Internet service.  Thus far, my speed tests show the T-Mobile service is running between 5 and 10 times faster than AT&T’s advertised rate but, the real test, for me at least, was whether I could connect all my devices.  AT&T’s router had 4 Ethernet connections, three of which I used, one for my Tablo TV setup, one for the DVR that my home security cameras are connected to and, the third, my shop.  The Netgear extender is located in my shop about 50 yards (more or less) away from the router and, has always provided reliable Internet service to the shop.  The Extender is connected to the router via an Ethernet cord and using the Extender “Access Point” feature.  So, I wanted to be able to do the same thing with the T-Mobile Gateway.

But, we only have 2 Ethernet ports rather than 3.  Ah, but, we also have a USB-C port beneath the two Ethernet ports.  So, I purchased a Belkin USB-C to Network adapter  https://www.bestbuy.com/site/belkin-usb-c-network-adapter-black/6409320.p?skuId=6409320 and there we go, a 3rd Ethernet port.  Initially, I did have some problems getting the Extender to connect to the T-Mobile Gateway.  I also can no longer longer log-in to the Extender itself for some reason.  So, I brought the Extender into the same room as the Gateway got it to connect and then took it back to the shop, plugged it in and sure enough, Success!!!  Reliable Internet service has been restored.  I don’t have the cameras working yet so I can’t be absolutely sure the Belkin adapter works but, I can confirm that a WIFI Extender will indeed work with the T-Mobile Gateway if it’s connected with an Ethernet cable.

Did you ever get an answer? I’m wondering the same thing. Thanks

Did you ever find anything out? I also have the new TMobile internet and due to the my upload speed being less than 2mbps (absolutely ridiculous) I am unable to my security system being that cameras required at least a 10 upload speed. I have spoke with CS for hours and got nowhere? I was told that it should be at least 15 but I have never seen it above 6 in my house. I'm so disappointed being that I had Cox Gigablast before switching and was told that it would match or exceed them...

Userlevel 1

Nothing yet. I have an extender coming from Amazon next week. It will be trial error I guess.

I have been trying for 6 weeks to set up my Netgear AC1750/6250 mesh extender with my T-Mobile gateway and finally found the way to do it since the T-Mobile gateway doesn’t have a WPS button. I connected the extender to my PC with an ethernet cable, used 192.168.1.250  to locate the Netgear account, logged in, then went through the steps to set up extender.  It is now working!! I’m sure that all of the other manufacturers have a similar login to set up extenders.  

Hope this helps :-)

Userlevel 1
Badge

I use a separate EAP1250 access point nowhere near the router and it works fine. I just hooked it up to an ethernet connection via a switch on the same LAN as the router. I configured it with a static IP address which works with the router’s fixed subnet and basically ignore the Wifi that came with it. This seems to work well and has a much better signal in my home and garage (for the wifi enabled sprinkler control). It isn’t mounted to the roof, just next to the switch.

EAP1250 - Wi-Fi 5 Wave 2 AC1300 Compact Indoor Wireless AP

I expect this will work with any standalone access point which doesn’t just retransmit another signal.

There is no reason why a wifi extender cannot work with the home internet service.  If you’re looking to buy an extender I would suggest confirming that it will work with an existing wifi router (the home internet box essentially contains a wifi router).

Don’t waste your money. It does not help with T-Mobile Internet, we’ve tried several. 

I see a lot of people talking about a 10 device limit on their T-Mobile home Internet gateway.I see a lot of people talking about a 10 device limit on their T-Mobile home Internet gateway. I think this is long gone now. We have had our service for over a year now, with this gateway shown. We have done a lot of Wi-Fi home automation this year, where every lightbulb switch and receptacle is its own Wi-Fi device, and have over 55 devices online, at least, right now, and will be adding quite a few more in the future, probably around 75 to 100 devices. Our Gateway is a Nokia 5G 21 gateway kit hardware version 3TG007398.

Badge

There is no reason why a wifi extender cannot work with the home internet service.  If you’re looking to buy an extender I would suggest confirming that it will work with an existing wifi router (the home internet box essentially contains a wifi router).

Badge

Don’t forget, the signal from the extender will cut speed in half.  And, normally will not have an identical name to the main router.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

The issue may have been the 10 device limit on each band. That’s a real bummer for an otherwise great experience. Wondering if if the extender counts as one 1/10 devices the I can connect more to that extender to essentially loophole the ten device limit. 

I tried 3 different high-end extenders, including a wifi 6.  I got all 3 to work easily with the 2.4G range, but none of them would see the 5G range and that is because of the fixed channels that the new Arcadyan KVD21 Gateway uses are not seen by any of the wifi extenders I tried and very unfortunately the Arcadyan KVD21 Gateway has very limited admin functions available within the UI page.  I would like to see an official response from T-Mobile on this and would actually like to see more control given to us in the Admin config UI.  The range on the 5G from the Gateway is extremely short and poor, even for 5G, which I know is much shorter than 2.4G.

Thank you.

Badge

Nothing yet. I have an extender coming from Amazon next week. It will be trial error I guess.

I tried two different tp-link extenders and neither one would see the five GHz band, they only saw the lower 2.4 band, I would like to find an extender compatible with the T-Mobile gateway, if anyone has an answer please help! Thanks

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

My Apple AirPort Extreme sends out the 5GHz network from my gateway.

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

I will be very interested to hear if and how the extender works. There’s no dedicated gateway WiFi 6 extender (that I know of) to wirelessly extend the gateway. That means a router would need to be hardwired to the gateway, and then an extender/beacon/node needs to be used to extend from the router. It’s unfortunate that the WiFi extender feature on the gateway is such a mystery.

See this. Somehow we are supposed to be able to connect a mesh network (system), but there’s no documentation on how to do that.

I’ve tested with success using my two Apple AirPort Extreme routers. First test was a short ethernet cable to the first AIrPort and wireless to the second AriPort. That worked fine. Then I set it up connecting one AirPort to the Gateway with a long Ethernet cable (in the walls in my house already). That works fine too. No noticeable signal loss. I don’t see anyway to connect any router or extender to the Gateway without an ethernet cable.

Please, please, please tell me how you did this. I have been trying to connect my two Apple Airport Extremes to Tmobile internet for two Days!!!

Please, please, please tell me how you did this. I have been trying to connect my two Apple Airport Extremes to Tmobile internet for two Days!!!