Question

Home Internet Gaming Problem

• 21 September 2022
  • 91 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

I recently started test driving T-Mobile home internet at my house, and it's worked great for everything except games, where I'm having a weird issue with some of them. When I try to play Apex Legends on PC, the game will connect and play really smooth for anywhere from 1-3 minutes, and then all communication will be lost, which will take 20 seconds for the game to kick me out to the main menu. If I go back into the game from the main menu, it'll work fine untill the 1-3 minutes elapses.

During all of this my PC never loses connection, and this issue occurs over wifi and ethernet. This issue probably does not lie with the game as this issue does not occur with other ISPs, and it did not coincide with an update.

A similar issue is happening with Splatoon 3 on the Nintendo Switch, where the game will play superb for 30 seconds to 2 minutes before dropping the connection. 

Is this a known issue with the service or gateway, is there anyway I can debug my connection, and does anyone know anyway that could possibly remedy the situation? I'd love to keep the home internet, but one of the main things I use the internet for is games, meaning this service wouldn't work for me.

91 replies

I used the t mobile home internet and it kind of sucks, i used it only for 3 days in month of August and i was charged twice on that part, i am too much tired of this billing issue, T home internet simply did not worked for me. I cancelled it on 3rd day but still got charged for the bill in sept also. this is too much .. They ask for pin everytime which they never set up me up for. simply their service is worst..

Userlevel 1

I’m seeing a similar situation.  My game of choice is World Of Tanks.  I can login to the game but within about 3 to 5 minutes I get kicked out due to a dropped connection.  I’m not actually losing connection to the gateway.  I can stream video for hours without issue.  My son is seeing similar results with the games he plays.

Have you tried contacting support?  If so, what kind of response have you gotten?

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Try to remember that T-Mobile Home Internet uses the same cell towers that your phone connects to for service.  There will be times when it will switch towers to provide a better connection or to balance out a high amount of traffic on a tower.  When the modem decides to switch towers, you are going to lose your connection momentarily.  

I am (well, my son is) experiencing the same thing. Streaming works OK, and speed tests look great, but he's getting booted from multiple games after a few minutes. Running through my personal Asus router also makes no difference. 

It has to do with your NAT type and your UPnP they get shut off for some reason and you need to have it manually reset but apparently it's a problem at T-Mobile is aware of and that they're trying to fix

Same issue with World of Tanks, after a couple of minutes I get disconnected, have to rejoin the server, good for a couple minutes, rinse and repeat.  I had no problems with Xfinity/Centurylink etc, so this is definitely a tmobile home internet issue.

Same issue with World of Tanks, after a couple of minutes I get disconnected, have to rejoin the server, good for a couple minutes, rinse and repeat.  I had no problems with Xfinity/Centurylink etc, so this is definitely a tmobile home internet issue.

Like you and another said above, I too have been trying to play WOT and it kicks after I click Battle,  several times while in a  battle OR it takes for ever to reconnect to the server and get back in, usually after the battle is over and back at the garage. .    World of Ships started doing that today as well.     Played on an ATT phone hot spot and Tanks worked flawlessly.     A month ago i was getting lower speeds, but didnt have any problem.   Recently Download speeds jumped, upload speeds went down, and the problem began.  Stinks because i will get into a fight, i can see the tanks around me shoot, but i am set course and cant do anything until it completely kicks me out.     Thought it may have been a WG update since ships worked there for a bit, but seeing more post like this one.   Hoping T-Mobile can get a fix ASAP.  

Like you and another said above, I too have been trying to play WOT and it kicks after I click Battle,  several times while in a  battle OR it takes for ever to reconnect to the server and get back in, usually after the battle is over and back at the garage. .    World of Ships started doing that today as well.     Played on an ATT phone hot spot and Tanks worked flawlessly.     A month ago i was getting lower speeds, but didnt have any problem.   Recently Download speeds jumped, upload speeds went down, and the problem began.  Stinks because i will get into a fight, i can see the tanks around me shoot, but i am set course and cant do anything until it completely kicks me out.     Thought it may have been a WG update since ships worked there for a bit, but seeing more post like this one.   Hoping T-Mobile can get a fix ASAP.  

As mentioned elsewhere, speedify software has fixed my issues.  It’s ridiculous that we have to go elsewhere to get support and its only free up to 2GB/mo but I can at least play WoT again without issue. You can see in older forums this issue has been ongoing for a couple years, so not likely it gets fixed anytime soon as clearly tmobile doesn’t care about it’s gaming users.

I have same issue with splatoon 3.

I’m having the same issue on Oculus Quest. I’m able to play online games for about 60 seconds then it kicks me out. Also tried connecting through a router that is connected to the TMobile modem and still didn’t work. 

Went over to a friends house to try just to verify it wasn’t my headset and it works fine. 

Very frustrating, I’ll probably have to drop T-Mobile. Good price but not worth it if I can’t use it. 

Badge

Try to remember that T-Mobile Home Internet uses the same cell towers that your phone connects to for service.  There will be times when it will switch towers to provide a better connection or to balance out a high amount of traffic on a tower.  When the modem decides to switch towers, you are going to lose your connection momentarily.  

On the placement app I live 1 1/2 miles from tower I get lousy for xbox games an laptop games . I only get good or weak signal . I'm lost if I am that close I figure very good or excellent.  Heck my radio in army and tac sat stuff and digital tropo . Worked better than this and that was like 1990 to 1997 wonder if Elon musk stuff works better. ??? 

Userlevel 1
Badge

I’m having the same issue. Has anyone found a fix for this? I was thinking maybe hooking the t mobile modem/router up to a different router that has more options like DMX, UPNP controls and port forwarding?

I’m having the same issue. Has anyone found a fix for this? I was thinking maybe hooking the t mobile modem/router up to a different router that has more options like DMX, UPNP controls and port forwarding?

i tried to use another wifi 6 router with no luck. i tried with/without cable , no luck.

I have the same issue with Oculus Quest,  I get kicked out 30 to 60 seconds into a game on average for the past week. Believe me I tried everything nothing works!  I have played just about every day for a year for exercise with zero issues.  Games are the only thing I get kicked out of.  I used my phone Verizon hot spot  and it works fine.  I was watching bars on internet tower and I noticed the bars drop out completely briefly then back to 4 oh and by the way my download speed is 150-200 mps.   Hopefully tmobile figures this out or I’ll be switching to Verizon.  I do see a lot of people with this issue. 

have you guys tried VPN? seems to work

have you guys tried VPN? seems to work

I am having similar issues over last few days with WOT.  I will try the VPN, but am thinking the ping will increase to where it will ruin the experience.   I’ll get back once I’ve tried.  thanks for the suggestion.  Agree with others in that this issue has cropped up recently in December ‘22 and it will not make for an ongoing relationship with T-mobile unless fixed soon.   

Userlevel 1

Same issue with me disconnecting with server for Minecraft and Star Wars Battlefront and Apex and probably others I haven't tried. Looking for other ISPs because when you call T-Mobile they have no clue what you are talking about and I don't know whether they are even monitong this forum. Feel kind of helpless.…

Userlevel 1

​​​​I talked with a T-mobile rep and they are aware of this issue but are still trying I troubleshooting. Related to a firmware update they pushed out to the routers. Much of the problem he thinks is traceable to how the Dynamic IP behaves that various gaming consoles and websites don't like. The tech agreed that much of the problem might be solved if T-Mobile gave consumers Static IP options (available only to Businesses right now). Fingers crossed that they'll get a fix out soon because everything else with T-mobile internet has been great for us!

Userlevel 2

My brother and I both use T-Mobile home internet on our PCs, we have great speeds, and everything has been wonderful so far, until whatever update they've pushed out in the last month. 

It's impossible for me to stay connected to any games, I've tried everything. I'll stay connected to discord just fine, able to browse the internet, yet in CSGO I'm getting disconnected from the server with errors, same goes with my brother, he's done the same things I have, with no help.

If they're aware it's from their latest update, it would be cool if they could roll it back until they get the bugs worked out, because it's almost unusable for gaming if it needs any kind of connection.

Userlevel 1

I’d recommend everyone calling 844-275-9310 and peppering them with support requests until they get the necessary resources and priority on this.

​​​​I talked with a T-mobile rep and they are aware of this issue but are still trying I troubleshooting. Related to a firmware update they pushed out to the routers. Much of the problem he thinks is traceable to how the Dynamic IP behaves that various gaming consoles and websites don't like. The tech agreed that much of the problem might be solved if T-Mobile gave consumers Static IP options (available only to Businesses right now). Fingers crossed that they'll get a fix out soon because everything else with T-mobile internet has been great for us!

I am experiencing the exact same issues with my T-Mobile home internet. While this is probably true, I have also tried playing off my cellphone hotspot and I experience the exact same random disconnects. 350 down and 30 up isn’t worth a $1 if it’s gonna disconnect every minute. Several friends and I going back to cable internet because of this one issue. It’s a complete deal breaker.

Everyone I know that is having this issue have the older grey cylinder modems. I’m guessing this is happening with all models, but just to confirm does anyone have one of the newer model towers, and are you also experiencing these issues? 

Userlevel 2

I am experiencing the exact same issues with my T-Mobile home internet. While this is probably true, I have also tried playing off my cellphone hotspot and I experience the exact same random disconnects. 350 down and 30 up isn’t worth a $1 if it’s gonna disconnect every minute. Several friends and I going back to cable internet because of this one issue. It’s a complete deal breaker.

Everyone I know that is having this issue have the older grey cylinder modems. I’m guessing this is happening with all models, but just to confirm does anyone have one of the newer model towers, and are you also experiencing these issues? 

By newer model, you mean the cylindrical Nokia gateway one? If so, then yeah. Problems started for my brother and I both at the same time. 

Userlevel 2

I’d recommend everyone calling 844-275-9310 and peppering them with support requests until they get the necessary resources and priority on this.

Agreed. Like, their service is insanely fast, and better than even hardwired options in my area (not available to me, though)

They would make a killing if they worked out all the bugs, or even did a rollback on the updates they've pushed recently until they're not causing connectivity issues. Adding more features like port forwarding would be cool too, but I just want it to stay connected to a game for longer than two minutes.

Exact same issue. I’ve been a customer for months and just started seeing this happen after about 30-40 minutes of any multiplayer game. I’ve tried 2 different Nokia modems, and even went in store to exchange for a different model with an LCD on the front, model FAST 5688W. Support confirmed this new unit is on the latest Firmware. 

We have tried running multiple streaming services, multiple security cameras, but as soon as a game connects the 30-40 minute countdown to loosing service starts. My first ticket into support was in November 2022 and I am still having this issue in January 2023 but they have not been able to connect this issue in the forms to my issue.

Going to try and use Express VPN or something to make a Static IP and see if that helps.

Userlevel 1

I’ve been seeing the exact same thing since the December update with online games.  Connect fine, start playing then disconnected after 10-30 minutes :(