Question

Home internet gateway has no router functions?

• 10 March 2022
  • 1 reply

Badge

I just received the latest gateway and as far as I can tell, it has NO router functions.
Specifically, there is no way to change its IP address. Which means unless your local addresses are 192.168.12.x,
you must change all of them to ..12.x!

On the admin page, there is NO advanced tab where you could do whole bunch of router-related parameters
including disable wifi radios and importantly, change its local IP address to match your LAN setup.

Unless I learn otherwise, this brick (actually black tall tower, not cylinder) is going back home.
Please advise...

1 reply

Badge

Well, I will volunteer an answer:
instead of not accepting gateway’s lack of router functions, I decided to turn Orbi router into that mode.
Previously, it was set up as Access Point (AP) with the old LTE gateway. Orbi was smart enough to change its IP address different from the gateway since it would conflict. So, it now shows as 192.168.1.1 whereas gateway is set in concrete as 192.168.12.1.  And the best news? Internet speed has at least doubled to 340 mbps.

So, I’m glad to be keeping this brick after all. Just so it happens, this morning it updated itself to even LESS functions, just one page of status and no way to mess with wifi settings. T-Mo really wants things simple for themselves or is it customers? They really need to provide Advanced options for those customers that need and want it!