Question

Home internet IP is showing different city

• 24 August 2021
  • 9 replies

Badge

We just received the T-Mobile Home Internet device and we could not get more than 2 bars on any spot in our house, even tried outside the house. We noticed that the IP location is showing Los Angeles, CA and we are in Phoenix, AZ. T-mobile stated “The T-Mobile High-Speed Internet Gateway is specific to your eligible address”.

We wonder whether this could be the culprit since we have a tower near us, the signal should be significantly more than 2 bars. Would factory reset / reboot the device helps? 

9 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Yeah, it is because of the way the network connects to the internet….not sure why they can’t get the right location but mine has been doing it for the entire time I have had it…. :(

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Unfortunately, that is how T-Mobile’s wireless internet works.  You can’t assign a static IP and because the IP is based on the routing of the cell towers to the nearest major where their towers connect to the ground for their service.  You unfortunately won’t get a local IP or anything close unless you are in a massive major metropolitan center.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

I have Cox internet in the Phoenix area and when Locast was still available it showed that I was in the LA area and set me up with their channels.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I have Cox internet in the Phoenix area and when Locast was still available it showed that I was in the LA area and set me up with their channels.

Yeah, I have a sort of similar problem with youtube tv...

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Yeah, I have a sort of similar problem with youtube tv...

It only happened on the TV’s that were using Cox wifi.

Badge

I’m also in Phoenix, and there’s a 5G tower 1000 ft from my house, which is where my HI router usually connects. When they were setting up the tower, I’d see it bounce between a Phx IP and an LA IP. I was told that once the 5G service was fully operational, then I’d see a Phx IP all the time. As far as I can tell, the 5G has been steady for months, but I haven’t seen a Phx IP since last summer.

Why did T-Mobile decide to break the internet?

Geo-IP simply does not work with T-Mo Home Internet connections, and it does not even register with them that it’s a problem.

I can see their argument about “privacy” in certain circumstances, but I’d prefer it if they’d let me choose rather than forcing things to look like I live in Compton, California.

Is there a way I can run a VPN that gets me a Phx-based public IP address that won’t slow down my service noticeably?

I’m also in Phoenix, and there’s a 5G tower 1000 ft from my house, which is where my HI router usually connects. When they were setting up the tower, I’d see it bounce between a Phx IP and an LA IP. I was told that once the 5G service was fully operational, then I’d see a Phx IP all the time. As far as I can tell, the 5G has been steady for months, but I haven’t seen a Phx IP since last summer.

Why did T-Mobile decide to break the internet?

Geo-IP simply does not work with T-Mo Home Internet connections, and it does not even register with them that it’s a problem.

I can see their argument about “privacy” in certain circumstances, but I’d prefer it if they’d let me choose rather than forcing things to look like I live in Compton, California.

Is there a way I can run a VPN that gets me a Phx-based public IP address that won’t slow down my service noticeably?

They didn’t break the internet. That’s just how ISPs work sometimes. With the crippling CGNAT that they use, the endpoint of that connection could be anywhere. Wireguard would be your best bet as it’s lightweight. Thats what I use to tunnel out of this paperweight of a router and still be able to access my Plex server and other services while I travel. It’s a pain in the ass but my only decent option for me. My apartment complex has their own cable internet service as the ONLY option and charges $60+/mo for 25Mbps. T-Mobile was the unfortunate answer. 

Badge

They didn’t break the internet. That’s just how ISPs work sometimes. 

Hmmm.  I thought TMobile was all IPv6.  Why would you NAT v6? This shouldn’t happen. Even if it was NATted v4, the router should be able to inform upstream.  I think the correct answer is they either use a very crappy modem, or they’ve hidden the settings from us dumb users.  But he bottom line is that it’s a royal pain, especially for websites that completely forget the address you just entered on the last page.  Grrrr.

I live in Phoenix but receive an LA ip address  on my TMobile home internet,which allows me to watch Diamondbacks games but not LA.

I use this setup to view the local games and use my phone (its LTE always has a local ip)  to send LA games to my tv via chromecast.