Home Internet No 5G connection - Shunts me to poor 4G band

• 23 March 2021
  • 5 replies

Badge

I was sold this home internet based upon “Excellent 5G signal strength” where I live, and promise of 50+Mbps.  I’ve had the unit for a couple weeks.

Secondary connection (5G) never connects.  Is a special SIM card needed to get 5G?

Primary connection cant be locked, and it initially connects to band B12 (5 bars) when rebooted, then quickly changes to band B4/B66 which have terrible (2 bars).  

Tech support has been less than helpful.  I knew more than the first rep, then second rep said my tower was being upgraded and would be finished March 21.  The 21st came and no change.

My other provider uses the T-Mo network, and I can lock to 4G band B12 with excellent signal strength and get around 15Mbps.  Dont understand why T-Mo boots me to a band with poor signal strength and abysmal speed.

5 replies

I have the same problem. My gateway has locked onto the secondary connection a few times with good signal strength. It alway falls back to B12 which has slightly better strength. I wish there was a way to make 5G a priority. B12 and 15Mbps just isn’t worth it. 5G was running 60-100Mbps when it was connected.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Sorry to hear that. Check out this Home Internet troubleshooting page in case it can help you.

Badge

With all due respect tmo_stan, the troubleshooting page only deals with the most basic issues. I currently have another 4G service provider that uses the T-Mobile network.  I’m line of site from a T-Mobile tower.  On the legacy provider, my modem allows me to lock onto B12 where I get excellent 4G  on band B12, and average around 15Mbps.  I expected T-mobile service using their (same) network, and supposedly offering 5G to be vastly superior, not much worse. 

The T-Mobile tech support has also proven worthless.  After 2 very long calls, no one can explain why with “excellent 5G signal strength” (based on T-Mobile coverage map), that my gateway fails to connect to 5G.  Nor can they explain why rather than maintaining a connection to band B12 which has excellent signal strength, the gateway stays connected to B4/B66 which has poor signal strength and bad to non existent internet speed (see earlier speed test  screenshot.)

I honestly was hoping  that T-Mobile monitored this community and would offer a solution or at minimum an explanation.

I was sold this home internet based upon “Excellent 5G signal strength” where I live, and promise of 50+Mbps.  I’ve had the unit for a couple weeks.

Secondary connection (5G) never connects.  Is a special SIM card needed to get 5G?

Primary connection cant be locked, and it initially connects to band B12 (5 bars) when rebooted, then quickly changes to band B4/B66 which have terrible (2 bars).  

Tech support has been less than helpful.  I knew more than the first rep, then second rep said my tower was being upgraded and would be finished March 21.  The 21st came and no change.

My other provider uses the T-Mo network, and I can lock to 4G band B12 with excellent signal strength and get around 15Mbps.  Dont understand why T-Mo boots me to a band with poor signal strength and abysmal speed.

Exact same issue here. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Tmob Tech is not helpful. They said 3 weeks ago that my tower was being upgraded in a week. Week came and went. My download speed is 0.12 mbps. It isn't usable until midnight and be becoms useless again by 8am. These kinds of speeds are worth $9.99 a month, like AOL and Genie charged for dial-up 8nternet 30 years ago