Question

Home Internet slow speed anyway to force b12?

• 4 February 2021
  • 8 replies

Badge

Hi everybody new to the community hope everyone is doing well 🙂 I'm currently on my 2nd Nokia 5g21 gateway which seems to connect to b12 temporarily kick over to b2 primary n71 secondary which creates a miserable experience about 3 down and about the same up I was if there is anyway I can or someone can force b12 on this device it would seem to be the only way at this point I could have a meaningful internet connection with this service thanks everyone for their time

8 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi everybody new to the community hope everyone is doing well 🙂 I'm currently on my 2nd Nokia 5g21 gateway which seems to connect to b12 temporarily kick over to b2 primary n71 secondary which creates a miserable experience about 3 down and about the same up I was if there is anyway I can or someone can force b12 on this device it would seem to be the only way at this point I could have a meaningful internet connection with this service thanks everyone for their time

I understand, Sometimes the LTE B2 shows up as the primary and things crawl, I restart/reset until I get the b12 back but my main issue now is the secondary n71 5g band no longer connects and I have horrible speeds. They too sent me a second unit just yesterday, hooked it up, all excited and …  same issue, its like the cell tower, one mile from my house just gave up sending the N71 5g signal. 

Miserable is correct, The Nokia tower has way too many bugs and issues. can't entirely blame TMobile, after all Nokia made the darn thing, just horrible. Im having in there to see if Tmobile finds a solution, if not I will be forced back to Spectrum next month. 

Similar problem here. Acceptable performance with Primary connection on B66 and Secondary on N71 but the modem wouldn’t stick to those bands and seemed to settle on just single Primary B12 connection which typically gave me 20Mbs down and 5Mbs up. It would be nice to have some control or even a preference setting on the band being used.

I have cancelled the service and gone back to Spectrum and their creeping pricing for now. I’ll take another look in a year and see if T-Mobile/Nokia have added more functionality or if another router is being offered ideally with external antenna options and band control.

I like T-Mobile, this has the potential to be a good option but the hardware is just not quite there yet.

I've got this problem with B12 myself with b25 giving me those same speeds you get with B12 (31032 zip)

Phone support said there's nothing they can do to lock down the channel (an option in the firmware would do it but we don't even have the option to change firewall, dmz, upnp, or any other options outside of it's WiFi signal bands and name/passwords).

They wouldn't mention looking into the problem either. Just told to keep trying different locations in the house

I've got this problem with B12 myself with b25 giving me those same speeds you get with B12 (31032 zip)

Phone support said there's nothing they can do to lock down the channel (an option in the firmware would do it but we don't even have the option to change firewall, dmz, upnp, or any other options outside of it's WiFi signal bands and name/passwords).

They wouldn't mention looking into the problem either. Just told to keep trying different locations in the house

I got the same reply from support. Hopefully if enough people report the same issue it will drive the development of adding some channel control. I spent a lot of time finding the best place in the house using the signal strength and SNR information. I actually found a location that would give 4 bars on n71 but that still wouldn’t make it lock on as the B12 band was also usually 4 bars in that location. Maybe some of the T-Mobile engineers are scanning these communities from time to time and these comments will help drive feature improvements in the product.

We can only hope at this point

Userlevel 1
Badge

Phew, I thought it was just me. These Nokia gateways are crap. I’m on my second one too. The first one died within 45 minutes. No wifi, no Ethernet, reset button didn’t even work. The replacement hasn’t been much better, but its inability to stay on the n71 band as primary is almost a deal killer for me. When it does, I get 10-20Mbps. When it doesn't, we don’t usually break 1Mbps. 

Userlevel 3
Badge

^^^ Your issues are not going to go away anytime soon, so prepare and figure it will take about a year.
Some are lucky and dont have issues, but it will take TMobile a year or more to get every tower properly working. 

Been there, done that, Nokia tower, first few weeks around 100Mbps speeds but had to be reset every day, then 5 g died at my local tower, TMobile replaced my unit, still didnt work with 5 g, speeds were 8 to 30 mbps without 5g. Throttled down every evening, B12 band would switch to B2 and REALLY slow down. 

Went back to Spectrum, they met TMobile price of $49 but for one year only. Have a solid 117 Mbps service again and will try Tmobile again in Jan 2022 or sooner if they contacted me. I hate spectrum but Tmobile left me no choice.
You are kidding yourself if you think your issue is going to get fixed anytime soon. I worked on my issues for close to 6 weeks, I know the Nokia tower inside and out. Also for those who do not know, its not really all that hard to use another router with the Nokia Tower, just use the router that you want to use as an access point (another subject)

BTW, these are high quality Nokia Towers, the Wifi radio in them are as powerful as the most expensive routers on the market, the issue is, this is brand new technology and TMobile is still figuring out how to make it work with their brand new 5g network that is still being built, they will, sooner or later. As it does work for some right now.

Ps, No, you cant not “force B12” or any other band.

Alarmguy.. try to renegotiate a deal with spectrum. Fresh out of the box grey nok 5g21  my top speed is 10mbps on the down and 28mbps on the up. My average is <1mbps on the down.  11/29/21 customer service when I called acted like my call was the first of this nature ever.   2 hour wait time for a call. This thing is going back to t mobile and honestly because the service guy apparently lied to me acting like I was the only one who had this problem I think my family plan and tablet are moving to another service.    What really gets me is all my devices on a t mobile sim card are pulling 30+ mbps from this location I can't believe t mobile wants or expects users to pay 50 a month for speeds slower than dial-up  the correct way they should handle this @ point of sale, "some users have issues of limited speeds if you encounter this issue there will be a return shipping label in the package. Please return the device and do not cancel current ISP untill you are sure this is right for you."