Home internet speeds and latency unstable, used to be good

• 14 December 2021
  • 5 replies

Badge

Service was great when I first got it, any time of the day I was able to use it for normal purposes and gaming was great.

Over time the service just seems to be getting worse and worse, ping unstable and constantly going up and down, sometimes speeds have a severe drop also. Gaming is almost not even worth it with how bad it is most of the time which is the main thing I use internet for.

Went from ecstatic to have decent internet to constantly disappointed at the performance, the tower I’m connected to is less than a mile from my house and there is not a big population in my area at all so I don’t see it being more people using the network.

Really wish I could get a more stable connection like it used to be.

5 replies

Badge

So bad that I can’t even be in Discord with people without their voices lagging severely and sounding robotic, this NEVER EVER used to happen. It just keeps getting worse and worse.

Badge

Getting 2 MBPS download and 35 upload at certain times of the day

Normally get about 50 down 50 up this 2mbps is unacceptable….

The internet that they say it’s stable home internet , is truly a lie and they just keep lying when I call , and we’ll I’m really close to just getting a hotspot with Verizon it’s crap , and if it would be stable , I would not be getting 100mbps at six am and less than 5mBpsAfter 5 pm when I’m back from work 

Same here. If you take speed tests in couple of time, each time provide different speed from 20 Mbps to 80 Mbps download speed. That means it is very unstable. Sometimes even 0 speed that cannot open the website page. You can restart the modern to reflash the speed, to gain the stability about hours, but that is not the solution. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Just curious. Which gateway do you have? Is it the Nokia, lovingly referred to as the trash can, or do you have the Arcadyan GW? With either if you use the mobile application you should be able to get the cellular metrics reporting and post those values. RSRP, RSRQ, SINR/SNR and that would show how the signals are for the 4G LTE and 5G NR cellular signals. Understanding the quality of the cellular bands is very helpful when fine tuning the gateway location. If you are only a mile from the tower and it is sending the n71 band it should do much better than that. Part of the equation as well is how clear the path is to the tower from your location. If there are multiple obstructions the signal will be degraded upon arrival so the metrics can help explain things. 

It is just as likely, based upon the behavior you report, that they don’t have the equipment at the tower spot on and might be still working on it. We are also in a rural area and 5.3 miles from the tower with the n71 band. I have seen periods when T-Mobile engineers were working on the equipment for the tower and it was highly unstable for several days before they resolved the issues. 

If you post some data and more information then others that see the thread can also respond and possibly help get some traction on the problem. I just add the “suggestions” below but I am sure you have been considering and trying different things. Ignore what you have tried or the lot. The more details you do post will probably get better responses. 

When you run speed testing with speedtest.net or fast.com or whatever utility you prefer you should post the statistics including latency and jitter. Jitter reflects how erratic the ping utility behavior reveals. Ping latency and Jitter are both helpful indicators. 

If you are 100% sure that is the tower great. If not then you can can look for the PCI, physical cell identifier, value from the gateway reporting and use cellmapper.net to confirm the source of the cellular signals do indeed originate from that tower. Cellmapper.net is free to use and pretty simple. It is ~80% complete information. 4G LTE cells are well documented. Some 5G NR cells are not recorded so mileage may vary. You can filter for 4G or 5G cell signals and that helps reduce the clutter of the finding. If your area has few towers then clutter might not be an issue.

Suggestions to improve cellular reception:

• Contact support & determine if work/maintenance is being done on the tower. 
  • Evaluate the location of the router with respect to the tower. 
  • Make sure the router is located at the most optimal location in the home.
  • Determine the location of the cellular tower & distance from the home
  • Evaluate the terrain between the home & cell tower (clear view, trees, hills, buildings etc.. between home and tower)
  • Relocate the router/gateway if possible to a better location in the home.
  • Locate close to a window, with no metal screen

Post specific router information to the community conversation:

• Primary & Secondary internet connection information (RSRP, SNR, RSRQ values)
  • Primary & Secondary cellular network information (PCI, Band, EARFCN/NR-ARFCN values)
  • Router Model & software version in operation (Nokia or Arcadyan)