Question

Home Internet Static IP

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Is it possible to get a static IP with the 5G Home Internet service?  Normally I wouldn’t need it but since my connection dies at least once a week I get a new IP every time my modem reboots.  I work from home and whenever my IP changes I have to update some of my clients’ firewalls.

92 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

As I understand it, no. All IPs are dynamic, firewalled and NATed.

Userlevel 3

Lets socalize this and get enough subscribers to post that they want this feature.  Post this question on Nextdoor, facebook, twitter, etc and ask fellow subscribers to post that they would like this feature and see if we can get their attention.

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

It is dynamic. I have to reboot my Gateway at least once a week, sometimes more often. That makes me very sad. The problem for me with dynamic IP is my DirectTV Stream service uses a static IP to determine my home location. Yep, I know that is stupid, but that is what they do. So every time I reboot the Gateway, DirectTV Stream thinks I have moved. At this point they must think I live in a bus.They allow four moves in a year, then they lock you out of the max streams allowed of 20 (again, a ridiculous limit), and then cap you at two streams for another year. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

There's no way to configure a static IP on the gateway. 

Userlevel 3

There's no way to configure a static IP on the gateway. 

That’s technically incorrect. Policy wise this may be correct if T-Mobile set up a policy that at lower levels the tech doesn’t have rights to change this. Now if T-Mobile created their own software for their routers and purposefully left out the capability to do this, then yes there wouldn’t be a way (without reprogramming). Which would mean that technically they can. ISP’s do this all the time and usually they do it for a small monthly fee, which would be smart from a business standpoint because then there would be more happy customers and they get more money. If they try to use the excuse that it would be too big of a headache, that would be a lie because then why would other companies offer this? It would only be an excuse so they wouldn’t have to offer it. Now don’t get me wrong, I love T-Mobile, but in this area for static IP’s, if they want to continue great customer service that I have had for the past 5 years, they would offer this.

Userlevel 2

I call Tmobile the other day, their representative told me their engineers are actively working on a solution to get static IP for tmobile 5G home internet, I dont know if that’s true or not, but I hope we can get static IP soon

Userlevel 1

The Hulu app has the same issue. It thinks you’ve moved and then won’t accept what it thinks is your new location. Had to chat with a Hulu rep. to resolve it, but it will undoubtedly happen again when the gateway IP changes.

Userlevel 2

Hulu app has same issue.

we joined T-Mobile home internet a bit over a month ago 

and I have had to text chat with them 5 times now re IP address change causing tv to not be allowed. It sees tv as a mobile device not a home internet.

also issues related that it drops your local stations.

while Hulu is helpful and resets it all this typically take 20 min to fix.

would be great if T-Mobile would set a static IP address per gateway to solve this issue. Thanks

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

@foxhoundvenom I invite you to RTFM and find the setting for configuring static IP on Nokia gateways. Perhaps it's available on the generic Nokia Fastmile, or on other carriers' variants. 

Userlevel 3

@ghostlee13 Please know what your talking about before assuming. Further education is as follows: ISP’s (Internet Service Providers) can hand out static IP addresses to their customers and depending on how secure they want to make it can utilize a modem’s MAC (Media Access Control) Address in combination with login details to do so. This is the static IP address that @jlillard is referring to, because your public IP address is the one that shows up when you remote into another device external to your intranet (hence internet). The static IP address that I am presuming you are referring to since you were telling me to look it up on the manual for the gateway router, is for internal network routing purposes, thereby being any device in the internal network. He works from home over the internet, he is not trying to access clients internally on is own network. So whereby you are correct in that you cannot setup internal static IP addresses, you are incorrect as to what the question was actually.

Userlevel 1

I, too, am having this problem. I have the small business internet. I have spent around 2 hours on the phone trying to fix this issue. I was told they could give me one, but the department was past hours. When I called back, I was told the same thing, then I was told that they could not do so for a small business account, only a corporate account. They said my IT could do it for me. I am my IT, as my business is just me. I was confident I would be able to do so, as I have configured for gaming in the past. Alas, I am not educated enough. I saw no advanced controls on this gateway to do anything like it. This is where I ended up. I will be calling them again tomorrow, as I am done for the day after 2 hours on the phone. Everyone has been excellent; however, I do wish I was able to get a static IP address easier.

Same issue. Hubby is paying a lot extra to have Hulu live. Gateway restarts with new IP address and I am working with a Hulu person that is on hold trying to make my home home again… Hulu sees TV as a mobile device. 

I shouldn’t have to do this once a week.

I have the same issue. I’m working from home and in the last two days IP was changed many times and every time I need to ask our Administrator to whitelist these IPs.

I work from home and need VPN access for my client.  They use my public IP address to validate the connection.  Frequent changes will be a big hassle and their IT department doesn’t have 7/24 support, but I may need access outside of their support hours. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

This post needs to stay on top, I also need a static IP addresses. My IP changes daily  without rebooting. My located is always right. T-Mobile are you listening.

Userlevel 1

My IP has changed multiple times this week. I work from home. Access to a particular server for my job requires the IP address and since it changes every other day I keep getting locked out. Contacting the IT department multiple times a week isn’t great. Please update this soon.

Same issue. Working from home and work has systems that require whitelisted IPs. Every time the IP  address changes, I’m sending an email and going through some hoops to get things working appropriately. Really needing a long-term solution to this issue, T-Mobile. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Same as ducktape, I’m working from home and have systems that always need my new IP every other day.  We need an option for static IPs!

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I went to what is my IP address, on the web it shows I have a IPv4 and IPv6. My IPv6 changes every day or two but the IPv4 has stay the same. I have been up for 14 days I have a home security system that uses the IPv4. Has T mobile fixed the IPv4??? 

One this I don’t understand is why I can’t ping the IPv4  it comes back “timeout, no answer” Anyone know why?

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

So long as their system behaves more like a free VPN service (potentially multiple clients using the same forward facing v4 address), this will be a challenge for them to address.

Some VPN services like WIndscribe offer it for a premium fee... can even pay extra to assign up to 10 ports to forward as well.

May be some proxies out there that can do a static IP as well... for a fee, of course.

Userlevel 1

Same issue.  Replying to keep this topic current and hopefully get it addressed by T-Mobile.

I would love to have static I.P. address and also ability to change more settings on router/gateway like there were on the previous model.  The 5G WiFi Gateway offers very little  in terms of customization or control.  I would like to be able to access remote desktop on my computer when I am away and I would need port forwarding to do that, but cannot.

Also I’ve had issues with trying to buy a state lottery ticket because my IP address says I’m in another state!

Please fix this, T-Mobile!!!

Userlevel 1
Badge

We are also having significant problems without a static IP.  Among other things, I am unable to access my Guild Wars 2 game.  One of the built in “Security Protocols” is that you have to access it from the same IP in order to log in.  So much for that! Every time I reboot the Gateway, they lock me out of my account.

Userlevel 2

Need static IP, cannot connect to work. Service becomes useless if I cannot connect to work.

Userlevel 1

We have problems with Hulu having to be reset every day or 2 . Wife can’t do it, I have to spend 20 minutes with them on the phone and then go to every tv in the house to reset. Also while watching program, invariably the internet goes away, I have to wait for it to come back, restart my Roku, refind the program, and restart. Sorry, but if this continues, I will go back to my old internet provider. At least it was reliable.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I must assume some users are talking about the external NAT interface IP address and maybe some are referring to the internal IP addresses. If the lease for the IP address were longer that would help reduce frequent disruptions. I really don’t see the need for short lease times unless the scope is not large enough to properly service the expected number of hosts provisioned on the segment. When a client/host is rebooted it will make a request for the same IP address from the server. If it is still available the DHCP server should respond with the offer. OK, so this makes the assumption that the host is not presenting a different MAC to IP mapping when it makes the request. If you can't set static IP addresses at least longer address lease times seems like a reasonable workaround.