Question

Home Internet & Wifi calling

Badge

just set up new Tmobile home internet in a rural area-all carriers are iffy here but the Tmobile speed and connection are ok at home (not so much in some communities near me).  That is the issue-I have my cell service on Verizon (best coverage all communities) and it will not connect a wifi calling attempt.  All other cell services work flawlessly and if I use a different sip the wifi calling works on the phone. I have tried a different router (actually 3 of them as well as mesh system all with the same results-internet traffic is good and no wifi calling)  I would like to resolve this and continue with Tmobile but without wifi calling its not helpful-any suggestions?

38 replies

Badge

I see there are no feedback on this question. I have the same concerns even with T-mobile cellular service and the High Speed Home Internet gateway. I cannot set my phone to use WiFi preferred since I switched over. It does allow for the Default which is Cellular preferred.

While that is OK at home where I have decent cell coverage but I don’t know if WiFi calling works or not. When I go  back to work, WiFi Calling is necessary since T-Mobile Cell service does not penetrate buildings very well.

Any feedback from any other HI users? Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

WiFi Calling doesn’t work too well with mesh systems, because that established connected can’t be passed around so easily.  WiFi Calling also requires a reasonable amount of bandwidth, both up and down.  QoS doesn’t adequately handle WiFi Calling well.  If you have 20Mbit up and more down and there isnt’ anything sucking up the rest of the bandwidth of the network.  It should work.  I have never had any issues getting WiFi Calling working with Asus routers.  I have owned 2 Asus RT-AC66U’s, an RTAC68W, and am currently using 2 RT-AX86U’s without any issues.  

Badge

Thanks for the quick reply. BW is not my problem. I am getting excellent BW since I upgraded to the Nokia 5G gateway. I don’t this Mesh is also the problem since I don’t use the gateway WiFi. I have all bands SSID disabled. I don’t see any other way to turn off WiFi on that gateway. A single Ethernet cable connects the gateway to my old NetGear RS-7000 router WAN port that is running FreshTomato software.

On the Internet side, everything seems running OK. Both my work and personal VPNs are working. Roku, Amazon FireTV & Netflix are all streaming. Even PLEX from my home based Synology server are streaming fine. So far, so good.

The only issue so far is WiFi-Calling and Group MMS under Signal. I’m not even sure if the cause is Signal side or the recipient’s phones. Looking for more information to help me debug.

Thanks again.

Badge

Syaoran,

Could I ask your experience on how you are handling ipv6 on your Ausus routers? This is a concern to me that that the HS-Internet Gateway only deals with ipv6 and not combined ipv6/ipv4. I don’t have a lot of experience with setting ipv6 on my router side so I have it Disabled. Regardless, all my devices are working at this point.

I am still researching how to setup ipv6 handling on my FreshTomato router side.

Thanks for your advice.

Badge

Rookie,

I assume that you turned off the wifi on the T-Mobile router because the limited interface didn’t give you any way to secure it (disable uPnP, etc.)  This does not sound like a rookie to me.

PhilEsterhouse

Badge

A T-Mobile tech support rep told me they have some firmware issues on the 5G Home Gateway that is causing WiFi calling issues.

I am in the same boat - getting about 15Mbps on the 5G gateway 5Mbps on Verizon work phone. Calls not going through to work phone if WiFi calling is on.

If I turn off WiFi calling it somewhat works if I go outside - no fun in the rain.

That is because your phone uses Verizon.  And Verizon is a cdma carrier, and wifi calling does not work on cdma networks.  You must have a cellular service  that is a gsm network like T mobile is....

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

That is because your phone uses Verizon.  And Verizon is a cdma carrier, and wifi calling does not work on cdma networks.  You must have a cellular service  that is a gsm network like T mobile is....

Actually, Verizon and AT&T as examples, use their own implementations of WiFi Calling and VoLTE that differ from the stock Android imementation designed by Google.

I am in a rural area with the same issue, internet runs great with the Home Gateway, but cannot make wireless calls from my Verizon phone. Has anyone found a solution to this issue? 

I am experiencing the same issue with my AT&T iPhone 13 Pro Max.  I have the T-Mobile 5g home internet gateway, with “the latest” firmware for it.  When I do speed tests from my phone I Wi-Fi- I test at 300mbps download and 50mbps upload.  

When my Wi-Fi calling is on (since my AT&T phone signal is only 1 or 2 bars I my area), I can make and receive phone calls… but the calls ALWAYS drop randomly… and also- when attempting to send texts messages with AND without pictures…. I sometimes have to retry- because it fails the first couple of tries. 

It happens A LOT more frequently on my Wife’s AT&T iPhone XR… 

Any idea of a setting / fix for this? 

This thread has been going for a while!

I’ve googled this issue for hours.  Is there a fix?

The engineers were aware over a year ago and haven’t addressed it?

I am having this issue quite frequently and drop calls constantly with the t-mobile gateway router -- every day multiple times per day when I’m within our home.  Wifi calling is enabled on my phone, but appears to not functioning with our t-mobile internet.  Texting is also an issue when on wifi.  I have Verizon cellular service (rural midwest) and an iPhone 14 Max Pro.  Everything works perfectly outside the 4 walls of our home.  Oddly, other family members have Verizon service as well and seem to not be having the same issue. 

Happy to know it’s not just me but frustrated to hear it’s an ongoing issue with seemingly no fix.  We may just have to cancel our t-mobile internet service (which is sad as it has been performing perfectly for us in all other ways).  

Any updates on this? We just got the 5G home internet and it’s fantastic! But the Wi-Fi calling issue is just that… an issue. We use Cricket Wireless which runs off of AT&T 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Yes does not work.  I have tmobile as a carrier on my phones and tmobile home internet… can’t call with wifi calling.  I called tech support and they were working with me but they did not get a setup and try it themselves. 

What did work is if i connect to the wifi with my old google pixel 4a then via hotspot attach to the pixel 4a then I can call over wifi.  I can use wifi calling with every other wifi I have tried…. Cox and Century link.  NO problems with either with the same phone (pixel 6A).  Also my kids cannot wifi call with tmobile home internet on apple 11’s and 14.

This is a big issue…. they need to first admit there is a problem then they need to fix.

Badge

Same problem as everyone else. Just got a new T-Mobile gateway for home internet. Internet speed is great and has 4 bars in its current location. Wi-Fi calling will sporadically work but not reliably and it will drop calls. It worked perfectly fine with my Comcast router using the same phones. Both iPhone 11 and iPhone 13 Pro experiencing the exact same issue. I have turned off Wi-Fi calling because it is more reliable even with 1-2 bars in my house, but I wish this would be fixed. After a year of this issue being overlooked, my guess is we’ll live with it or move onto another service provider. 

My Pixel 6 on T-Mobile is unable to use Wi-Fi calling when connected to the newest Home Internet Gateway (Sagemcom Fast 5688W). I've been using Wi-Fi calling with multiple phones, on multiple Wi-Fi networks, all with TMo cell service since 2007. It worked perfectly on Spectrum. Since switching, I'm not able to receive calls using Wi-Fi calling. I had to "toggle off" Wi-Fi calling and then...all is right in the world again. It doesn't work when I use my personal router plugged into the Gateway either. A next level TMo customer service guy checked everything he could from his end and confirmed that "all was as it should be" and said they were unaware of this being an issue. I'm guessing this can be fixed with a Firmware update. Can I live without it? Sure, but shouldn't it just work? I wish TMo would pass this thread on to the responsible department. I've been with TMo since 2004 and I still think these guys are the best.

If anyone finds a solution to this problem, please post it for the rest of us. Thanks.

I have the same issue with Wi-Fi Calling and the Sagemcom gateway. I called TMHI support and the expert acknowledged that there was a problem with this gateway and Wi-Fi Calling. Regardless of how you connect to the gateway (its own wireless SSIDs or your own router), Wi-Fi Calling does not work. Suggestion for immediate workaround is to turn off Wi-Fi Calling until T-Mobile releases an updated firmware fix for this gateway. No ETA was provided.

Not sure if this helps those who have weak T-Mobile signal in most areas of their home but at least there is an acknowledgment of the problem with a promise that a solution is pending.

This is my 2nd time subscribing to TMHI and can confirm that Wi-Fi Calling did work the 1st time with the Nokia gateway.

Thanks for your update. Much appreciated. Glad you got a straight answer. Your input appears to confirm that it’s a firmware issue. Hopefully they’ll get it fixed soon. For those of us with phones on TMO, it should be less of a problem since if the Gateway has a good signal, so should our phones. Nevertheless, it should work.

We have the Nokia 5G Gateway N1 with iPhone 12s on T-Mobile. Just about every call will fail after 1-3 minutes, very frustrating as cell coverage is a couple bars LTE at best so we relay on the 5G home internet. Home internet is blazing fast by the way, no complaints there.

WiFi calling worked fine for about a year after install but has been failing since last part of 2022.

We’ve got the Arkadyan and have the same wifi calling problems. I’ve also had problems with Webex meetings… after a few minutes, noone can hear me on the call. I’ve resorted to disabling wifi calling on our phones, disabling wifi on our phones, and only using the webex app on my phone. Sounds like it’s happening across multiple different models of gateway, so I’d guess that firmware’s not going to solve it. 

So, looks like TMO updated the firmware from 1.1.51 to 1.1.52. Still no WiFi calling. Does anyone know what they changed?

Seems like we have an issue similar to the above.

We have T Mobile Home Internet and all our phones use T Mobile sim cards and were purchased at the T Mobile store.  Our T Mobile Home Internet gateway is the Sagemcom device.  When inside our home, our phones only have one bar of signal clarity.  So the WiFi Calling feature is something we desperately need.  I have tried countless ways to get WiFi calling to work.  I have reset our phones, and the Sagemcom.  But each time we try to make a WiFi call, we get the message “No Network Connection.  Connect to a WiFi network” even though it is clearly connected to the Sagemcom WiFi.  

I also switched out our Sagemcom with the Nokia gateway, after reading that the Nokia might be better.   I used the sim card from the Sagemcom and the Nokia gateway worked great.  But still had the exact same WiFi calling troubles.    

However, the one ray of hope I have is that WiFi calling somehow does work on one phone: a Samsung Galaxy S22.  When I set it to Airplane Mode and WiFi Calling On, it can send and receive calls with no issue.  Clear calls!  So nice!  It is the only Andriod phone we have.  The rest of our phones are iPhones from new to old.  So now am thinking this is an issue somewhere between iOS and T-Mobile Home Internet.  Has anyone seen something similar?  

I’ve called T-Mobile a number of times, each time getting a different response (ranging from apparently supportive to astonishingly uneducated).  So I’m not convinced T Mobile is taking this seriously or has an active project to study and resolve.  I appreciate all the comments above, which gives me a sense that we are not alone in this concern.  We love TMHI, but not having WiFi calling, something that should be basic, is causing us to think about other options.  

So, according to the TMO website, I see that a new Sagemcom Firmware version, 1.2.74 is available. They say it’s a stages rollout and I haven’t been updated yet. I’m hoping this addresses the problem. If any of you guys have it installed (check your app), please let us know if this Firmware update fixed the WiFi calling problem. Thanks.

Hello everyone, I was on the phone with TMHI support this morning to ask if the 1.2.74 firmware could be pushed to my Sagemcom gateway. I experience a WAN002 error every 1-2 weeks that causes me to power cycle the gateway to get internet back so I was hoping that this firmware fixes that issue. The TMHI expert was very nice and helped me through all the diagnostic procedures to figure out my problem. Ultimately, she was able to ask her supervisor to push the update to my gateway.

Although I cannot say for certain that it addressed my periodic WAN002 error, I can say that upon turning WiFi calling on, it stayed on and I was able to test it on a phone call and it remained on throughout. Only time will tell if it fixed the WiFi calling issue once and for all but I am happy to report that it looks hopeful that the issue has been addressed.