Question

Home Internet & Wifi calling

Badge

just set up new Tmobile home internet in a rural area-all carriers are iffy here but the Tmobile speed and connection are ok at home (not so much in some communities near me).  That is the issue-I have my cell service on Verizon (best coverage all communities) and it will not connect a wifi calling attempt.  All other cell services work flawlessly and if I use a different sip the wifi calling works on the phone. I have tried a different router (actually 3 of them as well as mesh system all with the same results-internet traffic is good and no wifi calling)  I would like to resolve this and continue with Tmobile but without wifi calling its not helpful-any suggestions?

38 replies

I'm also glad that I found this thread. T-MHI, Pixel 6 Pro, Pixel 7 Pro, iPhone 12 Mini... WIFI calling won't work and we need it. TM has been covering towers in our area and the indoor phone service has dropped to nothing.

Two visits to stores and two very long customer support calls where the did vague things like remotely "resynchronized our phones" did nothing. Everyone I spoke with seemed to have zero knowledge of this issue. 

I asked about a cell-spot to boost my cell connectivity. They said that it wouldn't work because the cell booster they use actually connects to wifi to work and it isn't compatible with the TMHI. I said, "Maybe that is also why WIFI calling isn't working." He said, "We are kind of getting into the minutia of this, all I know is that won't work for you. Let's try some things I can do like Resynchronizing your phone to the network."

None of that worked. 

Side note that others have also mentioned... My work phone is a Samsung S22 FE and it WIFI Calls Just fine through my TMWI. ???

Yesterday, I moved two of my 4 lines off of T-Mobile and on to Verizon. Still no WIFI calling, but the cell service is a little better in the house.

Jeez. I was on the phone with home internet support and prepaid support for hours working on this tonight. The usual phone ping-pong. I installed the Sagemcom router yesterday and my GF couldn’t call me since when I was home and on Wi-Fi. Stumbled across this thread just as I was about to give up. My FW is 1.1.52, so hopefully the update will hit in the next few days. Otherwise a great service.

After spending half the day with the Sagemcom gateway 1.2.74 firmware and making several phone calls with WiFi calling enabled across multiple phones in my household, I can comfortably say that my WiFi calling issue has been resolved. I do hope the firmware update will resolve everyone else’s WiFi calling issues. I did not know how much I depended on this feature until I found myself without it. Good luck to everyone in the same situation!

Did you test receiving calls?

Yes, everything works as it should with the Sagemcom gateway 1.2.74 firmware. Initiating and receiving calls with WiFi calling is stable and reliable.

On a side note, my uptime without a WAN002 error (requiring reboot) is now 11 days and counting.

After spending half the day with the Sagemcom gateway 1.2.74 firmware and making several phone calls with WiFi calling enabled across multiple phones in my household, I can comfortably say that my WiFi calling issue has been resolved. I do hope the firmware update will resolve everyone else’s WiFi calling issues. I did not know how much I depended on this feature until I found myself without it. Good luck to everyone in the same situation!

Did you test receiving calls?

Hmmm I have the same issue, no Wifi calling over the sagecom home internet, well I can call out but not receive calls. I was going to call T-mo for the new firmware but then I read about the bricking issue so I guess I will wait for them to fix the firmware.

Can’t believe my luck…I guess I’m never getting WiFi calling 💀

https://www.tmonews.com/2023/02/modem-update-bricks-more-than-30k-t-mobile-home-internet-devices/?amp=1

We’ve had the 1.2.74 update now for a couple of days, and can happily report that the WiFi Calling feature is now working on our iOS phones. Thank you, T Mobile!  
Will continue to evaluate the new feature performance over time and report any issues here. But so far, so good. 

Well, I got it last night (in the wee hours) and it looks like the Sagemcom gateway 1.2.74 firmware update did the trick. WiFi calling seems to be working fine now. I hope everyone who needs it gets it soon.

Thanks for trying and for letting us know. I don’t know why they’re dragging this out. There can’t be that many of this new model out there to bog down their server….unless they want to make sure the update doesn’t break anything before pushing it out to everyone.

Sadly no dice on the factory reset...I even left it for a few hours while I went out to dinner before going through the setup on the app. Looks like the only way to get the update is to patiently wait or get on the phone and hope you get a rep that’s willing to manually push the update to your gateway.

I don't know but, it sounds logical. I read somewhere that upon powering up their Gateway for the first time, it immediately installed an update to the latest firmware. I don't know if that would happen on a factory reset. If you try it, let us know the results. Thanks.

So like most everyone else I’ve just been living with wifi calling disabled using the Sagemcom gateway, but seeing some hope show up here is amazing. If I factory reset my gateway and then let it do its normal set up any chance that would trigger the firmware upgrade? Trying to avoid calling in and spending that much time on the phone to get it updated but checking now I’m still on 1.1.52

Hello everyone, I was on the phone with TMHI support this morning to ask if the 1.2.74 firmware could be pushed to my Sagemcom gateway. I experience a WAN002 error every 1-2 weeks that causes me to power cycle the gateway to get internet back so I was hoping that this firmware fixes that issue. The TMHI expert was very nice and helped me through all the diagnostic procedures to figure out my problem. Ultimately, she was able to ask her supervisor to push the update to my gateway.

Although I cannot say for certain that it addressed my periodic WAN002 error, I can say that upon turning WiFi calling on, it stayed on and I was able to test it on a phone call and it remained on throughout. Only time will tell if it fixed the WiFi calling issue once and for all but I am happy to report that it looks hopeful that the issue has been addressed.

So, according to the TMO website, I see that a new Sagemcom Firmware version, 1.2.74 is available. They say it’s a stages rollout and I haven’t been updated yet. I’m hoping this addresses the problem. If any of you guys have it installed (check your app), please let us know if this Firmware update fixed the WiFi calling problem. Thanks.

Seems like we have an issue similar to the above.

We have T Mobile Home Internet and all our phones use T Mobile sim cards and were purchased at the T Mobile store.  Our T Mobile Home Internet gateway is the Sagemcom device.  When inside our home, our phones only have one bar of signal clarity.  So the WiFi Calling feature is something we desperately need.  I have tried countless ways to get WiFi calling to work.  I have reset our phones, and the Sagemcom.  But each time we try to make a WiFi call, we get the message “No Network Connection.  Connect to a WiFi network” even though it is clearly connected to the Sagemcom WiFi.  

I also switched out our Sagemcom with the Nokia gateway, after reading that the Nokia might be better.   I used the sim card from the Sagemcom and the Nokia gateway worked great.  But still had the exact same WiFi calling troubles.    

However, the one ray of hope I have is that WiFi calling somehow does work on one phone: a Samsung Galaxy S22.  When I set it to Airplane Mode and WiFi Calling On, it can send and receive calls with no issue.  Clear calls!  So nice!  It is the only Andriod phone we have.  The rest of our phones are iPhones from new to old.  So now am thinking this is an issue somewhere between iOS and T-Mobile Home Internet.  Has anyone seen something similar?  

I’ve called T-Mobile a number of times, each time getting a different response (ranging from apparently supportive to astonishingly uneducated).  So I’m not convinced T Mobile is taking this seriously or has an active project to study and resolve.  I appreciate all the comments above, which gives me a sense that we are not alone in this concern.  We love TMHI, but not having WiFi calling, something that should be basic, is causing us to think about other options.  

So, looks like TMO updated the firmware from 1.1.51 to 1.1.52. Still no WiFi calling. Does anyone know what they changed?

We’ve got the Arkadyan and have the same wifi calling problems. I’ve also had problems with Webex meetings… after a few minutes, noone can hear me on the call. I’ve resorted to disabling wifi calling on our phones, disabling wifi on our phones, and only using the webex app on my phone. Sounds like it’s happening across multiple different models of gateway, so I’d guess that firmware’s not going to solve it. 

We have the Nokia 5G Gateway N1 with iPhone 12s on T-Mobile. Just about every call will fail after 1-3 minutes, very frustrating as cell coverage is a couple bars LTE at best so we relay on the 5G home internet. Home internet is blazing fast by the way, no complaints there.

WiFi calling worked fine for about a year after install but has been failing since last part of 2022.

Thanks for your update. Much appreciated. Glad you got a straight answer. Your input appears to confirm that it’s a firmware issue. Hopefully they’ll get it fixed soon. For those of us with phones on TMO, it should be less of a problem since if the Gateway has a good signal, so should our phones. Nevertheless, it should work.

I have the same issue with Wi-Fi Calling and the Sagemcom gateway. I called TMHI support and the expert acknowledged that there was a problem with this gateway and Wi-Fi Calling. Regardless of how you connect to the gateway (its own wireless SSIDs or your own router), Wi-Fi Calling does not work. Suggestion for immediate workaround is to turn off Wi-Fi Calling until T-Mobile releases an updated firmware fix for this gateway. No ETA was provided.

Not sure if this helps those who have weak T-Mobile signal in most areas of their home but at least there is an acknowledgment of the problem with a promise that a solution is pending.

This is my 2nd time subscribing to TMHI and can confirm that Wi-Fi Calling did work the 1st time with the Nokia gateway.

If anyone finds a solution to this problem, please post it for the rest of us. Thanks.

My Pixel 6 on T-Mobile is unable to use Wi-Fi calling when connected to the newest Home Internet Gateway (Sagemcom Fast 5688W). I've been using Wi-Fi calling with multiple phones, on multiple Wi-Fi networks, all with TMo cell service since 2007. It worked perfectly on Spectrum. Since switching, I'm not able to receive calls using Wi-Fi calling. I had to "toggle off" Wi-Fi calling and then...all is right in the world again. It doesn't work when I use my personal router plugged into the Gateway either. A next level TMo customer service guy checked everything he could from his end and confirmed that "all was as it should be" and said they were unaware of this being an issue. I'm guessing this can be fixed with a Firmware update. Can I live without it? Sure, but shouldn't it just work? I wish TMo would pass this thread on to the responsible department. I've been with TMo since 2004 and I still think these guys are the best.

Badge

Same problem as everyone else. Just got a new T-Mobile gateway for home internet. Internet speed is great and has 4 bars in its current location. Wi-Fi calling will sporadically work but not reliably and it will drop calls. It worked perfectly fine with my Comcast router using the same phones. Both iPhone 11 and iPhone 13 Pro experiencing the exact same issue. I have turned off Wi-Fi calling because it is more reliable even with 1-2 bars in my house, but I wish this would be fixed. After a year of this issue being overlooked, my guess is we’ll live with it or move onto another service provider. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Yes does not work.  I have tmobile as a carrier on my phones and tmobile home internet… can’t call with wifi calling.  I called tech support and they were working with me but they did not get a setup and try it themselves. 

What did work is if i connect to the wifi with my old google pixel 4a then via hotspot attach to the pixel 4a then I can call over wifi.  I can use wifi calling with every other wifi I have tried…. Cox and Century link.  NO problems with either with the same phone (pixel 6A).  Also my kids cannot wifi call with tmobile home internet on apple 11’s and 14.

This is a big issue…. they need to first admit there is a problem then they need to fix.