Question

Home Internet with New Nokia 5G Failure after multiple service tickets

• 30 January 2021
  • 25 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

Very frustrating, even though this is the future and I commend TMobile for their efforts, so far it is a failure for us and many others. 

Ordered Home Internet Jan 1st 2021. 

Received Nokia Unit a few days later, WOW, it was great when we first plugged it in.
Over 100Mbps besting our Spectrum internet which we cancelled. However that was short lived. Even with good 4 bar signal the unit loses the secondary cell signal (Band N71) every 24 hours which means defaulting the Nokia Tower. 

Primary Cell is Band B12- B12 is a solid 3 bars and Secondary is N71 is a solid 4 bars but doesnt hold for more then 24 hours. Once I lose the N71 speed slows down. Now I can not get N71 back no matter how many factory resets I do. So I have no secondary signal anymore.

Here we are weeks later and two support tickets #51147292 and 51452604=(still open) with no resolution. Speed dropped down to 10 and less Mbps yesterday, at least half dozen times of resetting and defaulting the Nokia Modem/router back to factory specs only got me up to 10 to 20 and barely able to stream TV at times. 

Today Sat for the first time ever the unit stopped working, The unit was hot or maybe better said quite warm! I checked the LCD display at the top of the unit and for the first time it had a message “CPU Overload” !!!! (see photo below)
So ONCE AGAIN, I shut down the unit switched off the switch on the back and unplugged the power for 5 minutes plugged it back in and now I am back to getting 15 to 25 Mbps instead of the up to 120 Mbps we were getting when it was delivered just 3 weeks ago. 

Im trying REALLY hard to make this work, hate to go back to Spectrum even though their service was great, Spectrum price is stupid. 

25 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

@alarmguy - sorry to hear about your troubles, really sorry to see a German company behave is such an incompetent way….but if you are old enough, do you remember the perfume ad for Arpegge,

“Promise her anything, but give her Arpegge”...certainly feels like that is the bottom line...

Userlevel 3
Badge

TMobile sent me a new Nokia Gray Tower to replace my one month old one that stopped receiving the N71 band 5g signal. Hooked it up just yesterday 2-3-21 and same issue. 

No N71 band and only the b12 primary, Funny thing was the N71 had 4 bars and the B12 LTE 3 bars and I had 100 Mbps service at that time.

So once again anywhere from 10 to 40Mbps now, never any faster, sometimes its almost unusable in the evenings for streaming. 

Very frustrating, hanging in there for a week or two, then back to Spectrum as I will be left with no other choice. TMobile elevated my issue, we will see it if gets fixed. 

Its not my home, its not the Nokia its my tower which is only 1 mile away that is not working. Natural to lose faith that this will be fixed in a timely fashion. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

I had the same issue, fast for the first few days then speed really dropped, down to 3Mbps at times, and would loose connection altogether. I called TM about it and he said my tower was listed as under maintenance\upgrades and it wouldn't be done for 3 weeks.  And yes, about 2 1/2 weeks later speed came back and now it's getting an N71 band connection. It didn't have that 4 weeks ago. He said the tower upgrades were likely 5G related but it didn't show him the exact details. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

I have the same issue. Been on the service for almost one month now, I am constantly getting < 10Mbps/2Mbps DL/UL from 8-ish am to 7pm. The other time I sometimes see 130Mbps+ speed.

Opened a ticket and looks like no solution in my case, yet…. 

Userlevel 3
Badge

I am having problems connecting to 5G.  The first 3 weeks were fine, but since then it only connects to 4G.   One time I factory reset and it connected for about an hour and then changes over to 4G.   I also turned it off from about an hour and it connected for awhile.   Last night I moved it to another room and then this morning I moved it back and got connected to 5G for about 30 minutes.  I’m not sure what is going on, but it is frustrating.  

If you have another internet option return the unit and go to another company. Been there, done that. 

It will take them quite some time to get the issues worked out and you will continue to be frustrated to no end.

I went back to Spectrum, as much as I hate Spectrum for now. Spectrum met Tmobile price for 1 year @100 mbps service,  in one year I will try Tmobile again.

I have posts all over this Home Internet forum about my issues, no sense repeating them. I did become very proficient with the Nokia Tower until I returned it. 

I’m thinking the NOK5G21 has a cooling problem.  I’ve been having the same exact issue.  Decided last night to try and stick a fan on the top of the unit to cool it off…  Theory being this is a hot radio/hardware issue.  Within 5 minutes my secondary connection was back up on n71.  I’m not saying the fan fixed it…  But, worth a try.  ;) 

Userlevel 3
Badge

I had the same issue, fast for the first few days then speed really dropped, down to 3Mbps at times, and would loose connection altogether. I called TM about it and he said my tower was listed as under maintenance\upgrades and it wouldn't be done for 3 weeks.  And yes, about 2 1/2 weeks later speed came back and now it's getting an N71 band connection. It didn't have that 4 weeks ago. He said the tower upgrades were likely 5G related but it didn't show him the exact details. 

Ive been left in the dark and about to be charged my second month, Im not getting the speeds I am paying for and not getting return calls anymore on my status. 

I just filed a Complaint with the FCC. 

Update 3-13-21:  I have not lost a signal in two days but the speed is now less than 1Mbps on the Home Internet device, and it is receiving only B12, no secondary signal.

I went to the local T-Mobile store and got a new sim for my T-Mobile hotspot - it is now receiving more than 15Mbps.  I don’t know which band it is using. They said that the towers were being worked on but their info showed the work had now been completed.  I called the local store today, they said the weather (rain) might be the problem.

I’m starting to think the modem is defective!

Badge

Why is there no HELP from T mobile Here? is the trash can that bad? I have had T Mobile 4g internet for close to a year and have not had the problems I see on this site. when I go the modem  I was most all the time in the 45-70 MBs very dependable and now it is also slow and the App is a complete JOKE. It will not even factory reset I have tried the over 20 times and it does nothing.

And the thing that PISSES me off is there is no way to get ahold of them except the stupid phone number and then get put on a waiting list And to think All I wanted to do was upgrade to the 5G 

Userlevel 3
Badge

@alarmguy- sorry to hear about your troubles, really sorry to see a German company behave is such an incompetent way….but if you are old enough, do you remember the perfume ad for Arpegge,

“Promise her anything, but give her Arpegge”...certainly feels like that is the bottom line...

I dont really have anything against TMobile except obviously this Home Internet 5g was rolled out too early OR quite possible there were unforeseen issues. That does happen with anything new, more so as we break into an entirely new 5g network.

So I am giving them a chance to get my speed back up to 80+ Mbps on the 5g network, which I had for the first 3 weeks even though it would stop working every 24 hours and go back down to as low as 7 Mbps to almost unusable.

My beef is, as this drags into the second month I want a refund of the 2 months of fees I paid, since I never got the promised service and they very well may do that. I did want it documented and why I filed a complaint with the FCC. 

AS of today, the N71 5g secondary signal is still missing, its been about a week now. Im stuck with 1 primary signal and depending on time of day can be as low as 5Mbps to as high as 30 but when I first got the unit I was getting over 80. 

On my last phone call to them they reopened ticket #51452604 Its been three days and still have issues.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I had only b12, which I kind of expected, and that’s my primary with no secondary.

However for about the last week or so, the overview screen has this (and I obviously have internet connectivity). So I don’t know what I’m on right now, and to be honest, I’m afraid to do a restart for fear of having to reconfigure again or worse being bricked (not a lot of faith in this thing)

I’ve been without a secondary connection and only getting less than 5Mbps since the 0168 firmware update.  Not sure why.  Tickets opened and factory resets don’t seem to help.

I WAS getting well over 100Mbps a couple weeks ago.

Update 3-14-21  Beyond frustrated!   My speeds were much better this morning - at 8am, 32+down/9+ up, dropped to 10down/5up by 9am, then by 10:11 am own was .67 and up was 3.08mbps.  Came back from church, and down was .12 and up was 1.85 Mbps!  Stayed like that so I tried calling - finally went to the local T-Mobile store and bought a sim for my 4G modem and started using it.  It is on B4, getting reasonable speeds - 8 down, 15 up  Right now at 15 down, 18 up.

The Home Internet suddenly started linking to B66 - speeds of 30+ down, 25+ up and seems to be staying like that.

Maybe they turned off the B12 that was so slow!

I wish I had not had to buy a new sim for $10, Activate for $20 plus portion of $50/monthly charge for 100gb hotspot data before the Home Internet started working!!  I’ll hang on to it to be sure this is not a temporary fix.

Userlevel 3
Badge

You just need to refresh your browser. Dont bother with the “refresh button” on the screen. Use the browser refresh. You dont say if you are using the APP or a Web browser. 

Its been 3 business days for me. No one (again) has called me back from TMobile. Ill call them Monday and see what and if they are doing anything to get my speed up to the advertised speeds. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Browser. Did that, control F5 to force a refresh, private browsing mode, used a different browser, yada yada. App hasn’t worked in weeks either. Finally rebooted the gateway and now getting data.

When I talked to the TMobile rep at sales time, was told 50Mbps, however, best I’ve seen is in the forties.

Very frustrating, even though this is the future and I commend TMobile for their efforts, so far it is a failure for us and many others. 

Ordered Home Internet Jan 1st 2021. 

Received Nokia Unit a few days later, WOW, it was great when we first plugged it in.
Over 100Mbps besting our Spectrum internet which we cancelled. However that was short lived. Even with good 4 bar signal the unit loses the secondary cell signal (Band N71) every 24 hours which means defaulting the Nokia Tower. 

Primary Cell is Band B12- B12 is a solid 3 bars and Secondary is N71 is a solid 4 bars but doesnt hold for more then 24 hours. Once I lose the N71 speed slows down. Now I can not get N71 back no matter how many factory resets I do. So I have no secondary signal anymore.

Here we are weeks later and two support tickets #51147292 and 51452604=(still open) with no resolution. Speed dropped down to 10 and less Mbps yesterday, at least half dozen times of resetting and defaulting the Nokia Modem/router back to factory specs only got me up to 10 to 20 and barely able to stream TV at times. 

Today Sat for the first time ever the unit stopped working, The unit was hot or maybe better said quite warm! I checked the LCD display at the top of the unit and for the first time it had a message “CPU Overload” !!!! (see photo below)
So ONCE AGAIN, I shut down the unit switched off the switch on the back and unplugged the power for 5 minutes plugged it back in and now I am back to getting 15 to 25 Mbps instead of the up to 120 Mbps we were getting when it was delivered just 3 weeks ago. 

Im trying REALLY hard to make this work, hate to go back to Spectrum even though their service was great, Spectrum price is stupid. 

Having exact issue, great for first 3 days. Now it never connects to the secondary signal N41.  B12 on the primary is SLOW. This is UNRELIABLE service. Going back to Spectrum tomorrow. Wasted 5 days trying to get it to work. 

4/3/2021 - 12:15pm Central Texas  Service seemed to improve, but slow internet is an understatement again today.  Since before 8am, speeds have been very bad on both my backup hotspot with a T-Mobile sim and my T-Mobile Home internet - as bad as 2.58, 1.53, and .71 Mbps down!  (Yes, I did screenshots to help me remember.)

After calling several times, I have now been told that there is maintenance on all the 5G bands, and also on some 4G and 3G frequencies.  Expected completion is Monday April 5 (today is April 3) 

I also got the suggestion to try restarting the modems a couple of hours after it stops raining.

Again, hours on the phone!  Nice people that can’t do anything, and I really am tired of being told that a restart of the modem should fix the problem! 

We need an online way to report problems and an easy way to get responses on fixes without waiting on the phone or on a callback to repeat all the account information!!!  I can get online with my phone using another carrier!

Badge

Thanks a lot everyone for your posts.  This thread really helped me make up my mind and I returned my Nokia so called “5G” which is worse than my current provider as I get 40 MBPS as against my 100 MBPS from my current provider. I almost spent five hours in finalizing my return. They seem to have purposely make it difficult to reach anyone to help with the return or any support for this so called “5G”.  

I am also getting the “CPU Overlod” message. I can’t find any information on what that means or what to do

Userlevel 3
Badge

Update, Tuesday 2-2-21

Called Tmobile about the second service ticket on Saturday since the original person I spoke to never called me back as promised on Friday. The person on Saturday (1-30-21) was very helpful and is to check back to me today Tuesday 2-2-21. 
Im convinced the 5g radio burnt out last week, since that CPU overload I can no longer get a 5g (N71) signal, unit is operating on only the primary LTE band b12 and have to reboot it in the evenings as speeds slow down to 8Mbps from 40 Mbps in the mornings. 

I wish they would send me a new unit, afraid of a total failure on this one. 

Heck would even take an LTE unit if it was more stable but I have been spoiled now, I HAD 100 Mbps speeds even though the unit was unstable and would have to reset. Now I cant get stable  40 Mbps speeds. This on a tower that is 1 miles from my house I am told..

Userlevel 1
Badge

I got this service in December and had fast reliable service 24/7 until 3/3/21. Since then, I get speed tests that say the speed is between 16 & 30 mbps, but none of my devices will actually load or stream anything. I’ve spent hours on the phone with T-Mobile and have gotten 2 new gateways in an effort to “fix” the issue. Nothing they have done works and no one can seem to explain the sudden and what I’m beginning to think of as a permanent change in performance. I finally figured out how to log in and look at the settings and I noticed that I have no secondary connection either. Should there be a primary and secondary? I’m not very tech savvy about this stuff and don’t understand settings at all. 

T-Mobile complete failure..

T

-Mobile speed drops off cliff, no support no resolution.  Back to Spectrum

Badge

I am having problems connecting to 5G.  The first 3 weeks were fine, but since then it only connects to 4G.   One time I factory reset and it connected for about an hour and then changes over to 4G.   I also turned it off from about an hour and it connected for awhile.   Last night I moved it to another room and then this morning I moved it back and got connected to 5G for about 30 minutes.  I’m not sure what is going on, but it is frustrating.  

bye-bye to TM home internet… why should I wait for any call that I know no solution?.. I’m paying for nothing… hope TM will improve the service… bye-bye… goodluck to frustated costumers.

Same here - I got the Nokia Tues 2-23-21 and it worked great until Wed 3-3-21 (8 days). Since then it has been going down for about an hour almost every day - then comes back up without a reboot.  If I reboot, it comes back up right away…  Until today…   Now I am getting only a primary signal on B41, then B25, and no secondary signal.  Right now, ping is 115, down is 1.52 up is 3.03 - like DSL!! (172.58.97.5).

I also have been on the phone hold several times, sometimes I get in the queue, sometimes I hang up after 45min to an hour because system was coming up while I was on hold.  No such luck right now!

CS reps are very nice, but can’t do anything.  Ticket opened #33998960 3-5-2021 am, no improvement.