Question

Home Wifi NAT Type issues

• 12 March 2022
  • 24 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hey everyone,

Been struggling with the NAT type issues on my home T-mobile WiFi 5G and my PS4.  I just got this and can’t sync up with my friends, let alone play online anymore.  Does anyone have a fix for this?!  I’m becoming quite desperate and exhausted with this issue and t-mobile tech support doesn’t have an answer.  

24 replies

I'm having the same issues. I've called in also. Xbox nat type strict.

I believe this is an issue with T-Mobile’s 5G gateway not allowing port forwarding. I have an Xbox Series S that’s connected wireless and my NAT will go from moderate to open but never strict. At the moment there is no way to configure the gateway for port forwarding and for chat features and hosting in games. My online connection in multiplayer games is rock solid so far, just wish T-Mobile would allow for port forwarding with new firmware with their gateways. There is no way to set a static IP address either which is the root of the problem with online gaming.

I am having the same issue, my husband and I like to play. We are in the same house and can’t even play together unless we do split screen which is driving me up the wall.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

This is due to their upstream network topology... nothing to do with the modem/router.

It was a problem roughly 2 years ago with the Askey modems that had a host of the typical router functions like DMZ, UPnP and Manual port forwarding, DHCP configuration, etc.

As of April 2nd when I went back to a wired ISP to recover full IPv4 functionality again, this had still not been addressed (was still using said Askey, so no... inbound port forwards were still not working, otherwise I would still be subscribing).

If you do a search about it, you will get hits on threads dating back to late 2020, if not further back.

Their choice of XLAT464/CGNAT style approach to handling dual IPv4/v6 stacks causes unsolicited inbound traffic to get filtered/blocked at the outer edges of the network path, well before the packets even make it to your modem.  If it is not first established as an outbound connection, it is not allowed in (ie: must follow a stateful tracking approach, no typical peer-to-peer)

To date, the most viable workaround has basically been to use a VPN... but even that needs some specific configuration for some scenarios because you would need P2P support, as well as a reserved IP for it to work properly (which can ramp up the cost).

You may be able to sort of "trick" a console by going through a standalone router first.  The console will report NAT-2/restricted if the ports are forwarding on that router, but that does not mean the communication will actually flow properly.  P2P style applications may still misbehave because of what is happening upstream in the upper network layers.

This is due to their upstream network topology... nothing to do with the modem/router.

It was a problem roughly 2 years ago with the Askey modems that had a host of the typical router functions like DMZ, UPnP and Manual port forwarding, DHCP configuration, etc.

As of April 2nd when I went back to a wired ISP to recover full IPv4 functionality again, this had still not been addressed (was still using said Askey, so no... inbound port forwards were still not working, otherwise I would still be subscribing).

To date, the most viable workaround has basically been to use a VPN... but even that needs some specific configuration for some scenarios because you would need P2P support, as well as a reserved IP for it to work properly (which can ramp up the cost).

Do you know someplace online where this VPN approach is described? I want to try it.

Thanks!

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Windscribe offers it with different options... go to the section about static IP for more details about the costs/benefits/limitations.

Proton and Surfshark were looking at expanding into this area about a year ago when I contacted them, but IDK if they ever put anything out there.

Think I heard something about Surfshark merging into another brand though... not sure.

Yeah I've been with thome internet for over a year waiting and anticipating for some update that will allow us to have a nat type open network but to no avail 😭

A couple months ago I spent a couple hours talking to support about this...their ‘experts’ didn’t even know what NAT is… I sent them some links and explained, I’m a retired network engineer.

Too bad it only supports NAT 3 because otherwise the 5G is great for me in a very rural area. When I want to play online, which is not too often I have to hotspot into my ATT 5G phone, not use tmobile for the internet (use ATT 5G instead) and it works fine.  But then ATT starts buffering me, even though they are not supposed to. I call their support and they turn the buffering off but it always comes back. I have the unlimited plan.

Reaching out to tmobile again to see what they say but I don’t think it’s likely to get changed. May just have to go the VPN route by buying an additional router or try another 5G provider once they get competitive and have coverage.

Same problem. Weird thing is I’ve played for months using their internet on my Xbox x without issue, then last week, bam, strict and can’t play online anymore.  I’ve been using their internet for 6 months with some minor connection issues, but now can’t connect at all.

I had the same issue, but I think I’ve found a temporary solution to this:

1. On your phone, install Speedify. No need to subscribe to a paid plan (yet), they have a free plan.
  2. Connect to Speedify.
  3. Turn on your personal hotspot and connect your device (Switch, Xbox, PS, etc.) to it.
  4. Your NAT type should now be B.

Alternatively, you should be able to install Speedify on your computer and share it with your gaming device. I have a Mac and my connection keeps dropping somehow, so I haven’t been able to get it to work yet. It’s been working fine on my iPhone.

Same problem.  No issues when I first got it.  If I do a restart of the gateway over and over eventually I will get a NAT B on my Nintendo Switch.  Most times I get a NAT D.  I have restarted the gateway for up to 10 times before I get a NAT B or get mad and quit.

T-Mobile tech support, says there is nothing they can do on their end.  But it just doesn't make sense that sometimes I get a B and most times I get a D.

What makes me even angrier is that 2 abject weasels representatives and agents for TMOBILE straight up lied to me when I queried them about this. One told me, I just wouldnt be able to “ethernet” my way into NAT resolution, implying that I could do so (SETUP OPEN NAT) over the air just not with a hard wired ethernet cord. I thought well who the hell wants to do that anyways, but as we all are finding out, there's absolutely NOTHING that can be done with this topology lest one wants to pay for unscrupulous VPN providers and near as I can see, there's zero guarantee with that either. THIS MAY SEVER A DECADE LONG RELATIONSHIP WITH OUR CELL SERVICE TOO, TMOBILE. What exactly is Verizon offering, anything?

Same problem. Weird thing is I’ve played for months using their internet on my Xbox x without issue, then last week, bam, strict and can’t play online anymore.  I’ve been using their internet for 6 months with some minor connection issues, but now can’t connect at all.

Same for me. Been on playing pubg for 5 months now all the sudden I get kicked from all games. I can stream just no game connection. I'm about to change service

Same for me. Been on playing pubg for 5 months now all the sudden I get kicked from all games. I can stream just no game connection. I'm about to change service

I had no issues with online gaming until the past 2 months. I cannot play anything anymore without it kicking me off. I can stream things just fine. I have no other options for internet though where I live unfortunately. I wish they would fix it.

Can anyone help me come up with a solution? I’ve been dealing with constant issues with my UPnP being not successful and my NAT type being strict on my Xbox. I am also have the same issue on my switch that gives me a NAT type D. I am at my wits end with this and absolutely appalled with everything. I have called multiple times and nobody seems to either want to help me or can help me. I don’t know what else do next. I am currently on my 2nd router cuz the 1st one stopped throwing out an internet connection and now this router is giving me restrictions on both of my Xbox’s and my switch. I have restarted my router and reset it multiple times I am out of ideas I really don’t know what else to do. Can someone please help me cuz this is absolutely ridiculous that I am having all these issues and I haven’t even had the wifi for 2 months. I am willing to try everything at this point and unfortunately cancelling isn’t really an option it’s the only option I have for wifi right now. 

Badge

I've been having the same issue with my Xbox for a while now. Today I was trying to figure it out and might have stumbled on to something. If you go to network settings on your Xbox and select advance settings and go to port selection and choose manual, then select one of the ports, it might open for you. You might have to try several different ports until it works but I got both my son's and my Xbox to show open.

i’ve had tmobile internet for about 4 months and haven’t had a problem until last week. strict nat type and upnp not successful. tmobile support is also clueless and don’t know anything either.

Set your other NAT device to pass through 

I've been having the same issue with my Xbox for a while now. Today I was trying to figure it out and might have stumbled on to something. If you go to network settings on your Xbox and select advance settings and go to port selection and choose manual, then select one of the ports, it might open for you. You might have to try several different ports until it works but I got both my son's and my Xbox to show open.

I think it really did work. Lets see how long it last.

This works but for like 10 mins then it’ll just go back to moderate/strict

Having the same issue that just started happening today. Really only affects party chat and keeps disconnecting me from the party.  Game (Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2) seemed to run fine but communication was rough.  Didn’t try running just came chat yet.  I’ll update here as I know many are dealing with this.  Haven’t tried manual port selection yet or plugging in a separate router yet either.  Anyone have any updates with this?  Any settings that can be changed in the admin portal?

VPN seems to be the only solution.

Badge

What service did you go to?  I going to change too.

Port forwarding is NOT available in the Nokia gateway. So changing the port from the Xbox console does NOT fix the problem. Does anyone know if port forwarding is available one the Arcadyn brand gateway? I may have to switch providers soon as well. What's the point of paying for internet of I can't even play my favorite games online? Waste of money.