Question

Home wifi password authentication

• 17 March 2023
  • 2 replies

Badge

My home wifi will not connect to my linux laptop. I enter my password and it says authentication required, What the heck is going on? How do I do that? It also says to press the WPS button on modem. No such button on my device. Please can someone help? Thanks.

Alan

alanwk000@gmail.com

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

@Alanwk can you connect any other devices to you T-Mobile gateway? If your phone or smart TV can connect, then you need to look at your Linux laptop Wi-Fi driver and/or Wi-Fi configuration settings. 

Good luck!

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

“Authentication required” simply means you need to enter the password for your wireless network. I can't tell if you're on a Mac or PC, but the principle is the same: find the network SSID you assigned to your T-Mobile home network and then enter the password you created OR, if you didn't create a new password during setup, use the password that is imprinted on the bottom of your gateway.

if the laptop is older, it might need a different security level. Try creating a new WiFi network by using the T-Mobile app. Tap the Network tab on the bottom of the screen, then the “+” button on the lower right. Create a new 2.4 GHz WiFi network with a unique name (SSID), just for your laptop. Make sure the WPA type is WPA/WPA2. This is different from your main network which, by default, is WPA2/WPA3. Also make sure the Hidden switch at the bottom of the Network screen is disabled.

Now, go to your laptop and clear out all of the information you have entered for its setup and then connect to the new network you just created. You should be good to go.

Good luck!