Question

How to find out when tower upgrades are done

Badge

I have been told that the 5G towers in my area are being upgraded but is there a way to check the progress?  I have T-Mobile home internet and am waiting on them to be finished to see if I am going to keep the service. Right now I get between 20mb and 40mb on a good day.

19 replies

Then you are in the top 90% with great service already. 

Be happy. 

They won't confirm or deny anything publicly about networking upgrades.  Any customer service representative who says otherwise is lying. Only engineering knows for sure. And they don't talk to anyone else in the company except management. 

I have been told that the 5G towers in my area are being upgraded but is there a way to check the progress?  I have T-Mobile home internet and am waiting on them to be finished to see if I am going to keep the service. Right now I get between 20mb and 40mb on a good day.

That's really not that bad you can watch a 4k movie with those speeds I had the lte gateway and I had to reboot it every day sometimes multiple times a day to get speeds above 10-15 I ended up calling and after a few calls with tech support they sent me a 5G gateway and now I'm getting 80-150 I saw it once I saw lt at just over 200 be patient. I would have been happy with the lte gateway with the speeds you are getting.

Userlevel 2
Badge

I agree with the OP, it would be nice to get information regarding tower status.. and there’s really no reason not to see updates from engineers related to it.

I'm a store manager of t-mobile and any rep can show you in the store any kind of tower maintenance or tower building. It shows when it started and the projected end date :)

Cell I'd 7164419

Loc 42530

When will this tower turned on and upgraded?

I'm beginning to think this is all a scam. We're getting early evening speeds of a whopping .4 to .7. That's not a typo, point 4. But if I do a speed test at 4 in the morning, its over 70. All I ever here from tmobile is "towers are being upgraded." What? Didn't you just install 5G? It's all bs. 20 year customer, ready to move my business elsewhere.

Badge

There is a iphone app “Opensignal” which give you speed of local towers.

Badge

T-Mobile told me by Apiril 29th the tower upgrades will be completed and I am promised scallop back to see if my internet speeds are higher for the last six months I have to call homeinternet department several times because slow internet speeds my router was replaced 5 times stilll no inprovement my speeds downloadbof 5 megabits per second also all of calls I made added up slot of pain points which to me means I am in a position to have new iPhone financed my way guess what folks it’s going to happen I will get my way to get what I want my way that is so cool plus experts and supervisors are working with me as a team/ can I trust tmobiles word if the upgrades aren’t completed as promised will have more pain points where I will demand a free iphone13 pro folks can we trust tmobiles word when it comes to telling the truth about celltower upgrades!!!

T-Mobile told me by Apiril 29th the tower upgrades will be completed and I am promised scallop back to see if my internet speeds are higher for the last six months I have to call homeinternet department several times because slow internet speeds my router was replaced 5 times stilll no inprovement my speeds downloadbof 5 megabits per second also all of calls I made added up slot of pain points which to me means I am in a position to have new iPhone financed my way guess what folks it’s going to happen I will get my way to get what I want my way that is so cool plus experts and supervisors are working with me as a team/ can I trust tmobiles word if the upgrades aren’t completed as promised will have more pain points where I will demand a free iphone13 pro folks can we trust tmobiles word when it comes to telling the truth about celltower upgrades!!!

I'm beginning to think this is all a scam. We're getting early evening speeds of a whopping .4 to .7. That's not a typo, point 4. But if I do a speed test at 4 in the morning, its over 70. All I ever here from tmobile is "towers are being upgraded." What? Didn't you just install 5G? It's all bs. 20 year customer, ready to move my business elsewhere.

I'm beginning to think this is a scam too. I'm curious where everyone lives for these "tower upgrades". I was told the same thing just 2 weeks ago. I'm in N California. And if this is such a new thing, and it was awesome when we got it 1 year ago, why is it struggling soooo bad now? Not impressed. My mom's dsl works better than this :(

TMO is not lying.  There are different kinds of 5G.  5G extended is basically LTE+.  It transmits on lower existing freqs.  You can expect around 30mps on 5G extended.  If you have an iPhone, you with see 5G shown when you are on a 5G extended tower.  There is also mid band 5G which is significantly faster but has less range.  You can get around 500mps and I’ve seen some get over a terabyte per second.  On the iPhone you with see 5GUC.  UC meaning Ultra Capacity.  So it is possible if not likely to be on a 5G tower and still be scheduled for upgrade frome 5G extended to 5GUC.  My tower is currently 5G extended.  It performs pretty well.  I stream multiple TVs and game.  I do suffer from some lag on gaming, especially early in the evening.  There are 5GUC towers all around me, but for some reason my tower is still 5G extended.  I am eagerly awaiting the upgrade.

Sharing my own experience here. Last Thursday evening started seeing issues with internet flows that persisted into Saturday morning. A couple of calls to support came back with “tower upgrades in progress”. Took the time to look over to the west where my tower is, about half mile away and saw a large crane at the tower. By Saturday things had settled as support had said the upgrades would be done by then and they were. 

Went from 150-200Mbps down, 15-25 up, to 300-500Mbps down, 30-50 up after the upgrade. RSRQ and such were several points better on both LTE and 5G connections on the Arkadyan. Also, ping times against google and cloudflare dns are much cleaner and better standard deviations. 

Something got done, pleased where I am fwiw. 

Of course late night even though I've had a few problems it seems to be getting better day speeds are decent over 100 so far good enough with a lil hiccups now an then Spectrum was shafting me over 105$ a month no addon's I have had problems but they get resolved no drops in a week Wow.

No extra antenna just a cooling fan and Xiaomi router My Roku Tv will not connect or see T-Mobile wifi so I use another router.wifi 6 capability.

Be thankful you have any internet connection at all. My internet has been totally out  for 8 days now. Customer service is useless, they can’t tell you anything. And  tech support is located in the Philippines and they jus read out of a tech support book. So I have no idea when my service will be back. I’ve heard of som T-Mobile users being without internet service for 3!weeks and counting

I don't worry about T-Mobile home Internet If they Don't live up to my minimum standard's I go back to another ISP no problem.

I wish I could change ISP’s , I’d do it in a heartbeat. Unfortunately I live out in the country and T-Mobile is the only one I can get right now.  I actually have good service when it’s working. The frustrating part is I don’t how long it’s going to be down. I’m furious that they didn’t give us a craniums up it was going down and they can’t tell us when’s it’s coming back.  But regardless, if it’s not back by the time my bill is due I’m canceling anyway and get my OTS time refunded

Sorry to hear that internet is no available I think in the future? things will get better these People want to get customer's in as competition will improve the net of all providers good luck.

Said they upgraded the tower in Morton, Washington now getting super speed of 1-5 mbs down they told me the tower was completed.

what a joke.

I would really like to get the T-Mobile 5G Internet for my home, but it has to be very robust. I work from home and need a very robust line to keep my employer’s VPN connected. OpenSignal says that my local 4G tower has 1.2 mb download, 0.8 upload, and latency of 115ms. This won’t cut it. Our current ISP is pretty good, but costs about 3x more than what T-Mobile 5G would run me. Plus, our call quality is terrible when using calling from home--I have switched to using wi-fi calling. When, oh when, will we PLEASE be getting 5G. My personal CSR told me when we first got the phone service 1.5 years ago that it would be 3-4 months. Well, that deadline has come and gone a few times over. I’m really, really happy with everything else, but that tower really needs an upgrade, please! Thanks