Question

How to fix packet loss when live streaming to twitch or youtube. (Windows 10)

• 14 April 2021
  • 7 replies

Badge

In an elevated command prompt (admin) type this command to see windows auto-tuning is enabled  "netsh interface tcp show global" If it is then you can disable it with this command.
"netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled"

For me personally it seems as though this may fixed my upload dropping to zero while trying to live stream.  

7 replies

Badge

I went from having around 50% packet loss to 1% or less when I disabled windows auto tuning. I hope this may help someone else in the future. =) 

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Just be mindful of what this is actually doing…

It will lock your tcp receive window.  Depending on what that value gets locked at, it may dramatically limit your downstream throughput, especially if latency is riding on the high side.  This is a value we used to tweak to compensate for higher latency connections... to offset the pauses in large transfers between the RTS/CTS cycles.  If it is set too low when there are extended delays during that confirmation cycle, it can cause things to bog down pretty bad.

What likely needs to be addressed is a bad jitter factor along the route you are taking.  Something is likely causing intermittenet extended delays in packet delivery.  This is likely mucking with the flow control mechanism of the TCP stack that that does things like shifting recieve windows to compensate for issues discovered on the fly.

The offending condition needs to be tracked down and addressed, or otherwise rerouted around it if possible. Doing a hard shutdown for a bit and restarting may get you "homed" to a different exit point of their tunnel, which may correct some potential routing issues in play.

Badge

I was unable to live stream before but I understand your point, this is the only thing I came across that worked for me that I can do on my end until t-mobile fixes the towers around me.

Userlevel 2
Badge

There’s a few things playing against us to resolve these issues.

1). we have no clue how they have configured OpenWRT to know if TSO, LRO, or CRC have been disabled on their adapters.

2). somewhere along the routes for home internet users, there is a problem.. either a MTU issues or something else that is causing latency spikes and delayed packets.  Somewhere between us (CE) and their edge, there is a problem.  I suspect this is the case because both home internet routes, and mobile tethered route hit the same PE internally before going out.  I see zero problems on tethered traces, whereas home internet is a total crap shoot with additional hops.. even on the same towers/bands.

Badge

There’s a few things playing against us to resolve these issues.

1). we have no clue how they have configured OpenWRT to know if TSO, LRO, or CRC have been disabled on their adapters.

2). somewhere along the routes for home internet users, there is a problem.. either a MTU issues or something else that is causing latency spikes and delayed packets.  Somewhere between us (CE) and their edge, there is a problem.  I suspect this is the case because both home internet routes, and mobile tethered route hit the same PE internally before going out.  I see zero problems on tethered traces, whereas home internet is a total crap shoot with additional hops.. even on the same towers/bands.

The fact that it fixes my problem for the most part proves that it’s something to do with their modem/router.  This should only work on legacy tech but for whatever reason works for my issue, I sacrifice some bandwidth but I’m able to live stream. 

Userlevel 3
Badge

If you are using Streamlabs or the regular OBS use x264 for your encoder. For some reason it is the only one that I have been able to get to work. The others are all over the place. With x264 I get a reliabe 60 FPS.

Badge

If you are using Streamlabs or the regular OBS use x264 for your encoder. For some reason it is the only one that I have been able to get to work. The others are all over the place. With x264 I get a reliabe 60 FPS.

My problem is the upload isn’t consistent. The clips of me streaming doom eternal shows me getting 144 fps without issue. My pc is fine but the upload is literally all over the place. 

Look at my upload spiking up and down, I have no control over that sadly. 

I got in touch with t-mobile support and they said they might work on my tower in a year or so…. so I’m pretty much screwed and this is the only way I can stream without insane packet loss.