Question

HP 8600 PRO Printer and Gateway connection

• 21 July 2022
  • 6 replies

Badge

HELP

unable to connect (wirelessly) our HP 8600 PRO printer to the 5G Gateway we just received. I have entered the pw as we have on all of our other devices and have not had success. The printer connected wirelessly to the previous provider just fine. 

Any simple suggestions would be appreciated. 

I am not super techy so please keep it dumbed down a bit.

Thank you!

6 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

If you have your wifi separated between 2.4G and 5G, make sure that both your printer and your computer are on the same one…..In my case, I think my printer only uses 2.4G wifi, so when I go to print, I need to make sure the computer is using the 2.4G wifi. 

Badge

Thank you allanl3561. I appreciate your feedback.

If you have your wifi separated between 2.4G and 5G, make sure that both your printer and your computer are on the same one…..In my case, I think my printer only uses 2.4G wifi, so when I go to print, I need to make sure the computer is using the 2.4G wifi. 

The Wi-Fi set up wizard on the HP simply looks for the router name and then the user enters the passcode for that router. The T-Mobile router will not accept my HP8600 pass code.

was anyone able to connect the HP8600 printer to T-mobile home internet to successfully print in a wireless mode?

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

According to a quick search HP support states - 

• 802.11 b/g/n – 2.4 GHz networks only

This means you will probably have to either separate the 2.4 GHz radio from the 5 GHz bands OR

You can add an additional SSID on the 2.4 GHz radio only (provide a name for the printer net)

Authentication type is “probably” WPA or WPA2 so include WPA/WPA2 authentication types

If you still have issues trying to get the printer to connect direct to the gateway and have a wireless extender or an older wireless router you can connect to the gateway then you can run only the 2.4 GHz radio on the older router and use either as a workaround for connecting direct to the gateway.

Note: Printers that only work on the 2.4 GHz band (especially older ones) can have problems connecting to and staying connected to the T-Mobile gateways via the 802.11ax protocol solution. Some other routers play nicer with this but the ones that T-Mobile use don’t seem to play nice with older 2.4GHz adapters. In some instances it comes down to older drivers not working well with the newer standard. I know it is supposed to be backward compatible but reality is old drivers are not always perfect either.

I appreciate your information. Thank you for your work. I bought a new router right before I switched to T-mobile. I will try connecting the old router to the system.  Time will tell…..