I cannot access my job's VPN from home

• 8 January 2021
  • 54 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

I am currently working from home.  I use a company provided laptop with an always on VPN client to access my job's servers. No problem with spectrum cable. I have the brand new grey t-mobile gateway and cannot get in.  My IT guy worked with me and says it must be how the ports are provisioned.  He said to call and get level 2 support.  He wanted to know about specific ports. Did that, was on hold over an hour.  Tech I spoke with basically said they don't do ports. What?!  In fact when I gave her the port #s to look into she basically said no, thats not how it is designed. The tech I spoke with before her said WAN is blocked by default. What?! The level 2 person said that was not right. I get about 130 Mbps down and about 35 Mbos up. So speed is good.  My tvs, tablets, laptops, nintendo gaming, vivint(connect with lan cable to one of two ports on gateway) are streaming working fine. I can surf the web from the company laptop.  I can also get to my MS Teams & Outlook. But when I try to access a certain part of the network it won't connect. Level 2 tech opened a ticket. My VPN does not like this gateway for some reason. 

54 replies

Following - similar boat here, GlobalProtect VPN does not want to play nice with the T-Mobile home internet apparently. :( 

Same thing here!!! 😡

Userlevel 1

Mine was just the MTU issue, was able to resolve it by lowering the number. If this blog can be helpful for anyone to troubleshoot and resolve the issue:
https://amithkumarg.medium.com/resolved-t-mobile-home-internet-vpn-issue-2f5ca594c23e

Userlevel 1

SOLVED! After days with my IT department and then with Global Protect in Pali Alto, here’s the bottom line. T-Mobile High speed broadband can’t handle IPv6 dynamic IPs therefore can’t communicate in internet. Global Protect can only handle IPv4.

There are no settings on T-Mobile gate way to make it just use IPv4.
Global Protect doesn’t have a fix/VON software to fix this advanced IPv6 communication 

I can access my company’s server for data files, outlook for email etc, but cannot access internet based apps like one login or any websites. Except MSN.com - explain that. Not even Google. Com.

Have to switch to my Verizon cell data hotspot to my company laptop to access internet. Then switch back to T-mobile when done with internet  

T-Mobile is using advanced technology that companies are not ready to handle, and will take them a long time to become compatible.

Since most users don’t have IOv6, there’s no rush to upgrade corporately. For example, they advise that all the scanner guns in our warehouse aren’t compatible with IPv6, so if they upgrade VPNs now, none of the equipment would work in the warehouse.

Nor are VPN providers putting resources into IPv6 compatibility.

im so annoyed that I switched to the T-Mobile high speed broadband new technology that NO ONE at T-Mobile advised this would be an issue. Even calling tech support, they had no idea what the issue would be. After my IT department figured it out I HAD TO CALL BACK T-MOBILE AND BRUNG THEM UP TO SPEED.  Am I in the twilight zone? Ridiculous 

So much for all this infrastructure across the US. If we get this new technology, then can’t connect with old technology being used by 99% of corporations, then we’re screwed until they decide to upgrade.

How can this be such a mystery in 2021. IPv6 has been in development for more than 10 years.  WHAT’s the holdup and lack of warning of the issue.

So annoyed that I switched to this with no heads up. I’m screwed now unless I switch back to my unreliable Cox cable internet that had service outages at least twice a week while I’ve been working from home.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Mine was just the MTU issue, was able to resolve it by lowering the number. If this blog can be helpful for anyone to troubleshoot and resolve the issue:
https://amithkumarg.medium.com/resolved-t-mobile-home-internet-vpn-issue-2f5ca594c23e

Is this a confirmed fix for the GlobalConnect issue?

It connects just fine but the sites I need to access do not load.

Funny, sometimes I don’t feel like running an Ethernet cord through my home, and sometimes it has worked on Wi-Fi (work sites) and other times it refuses to load - and as soon as I plug in this stupid cord  - it works just fine…

This is quite cumbersome, it’s 2021 like “VPN” Ethernet just WORK jeez all these “so called security” protocols - data bases and data still getting hacked and sold - I don’t mind the “VPN” but we are in a wireless world - I almost feel like it isn’t a T-Mobile “issue” as much as its a silly “security” or some odd setting - also if the issue is with the MTU being the lowest on the T-Mo Nokia router then why don’t T-Mobile do a firmware update and just use the MAX size - what is the delay - I just dont understand - I wonder if my IT team will eve given admin access to try this - it really sucks because I don’t want to have to use Comcast - but yea the irony of not being able to use T-Mobile “home” internet and you…….

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

I have no issues with Pulse Secure.

Userlevel 1

Is this a confirmed fix for the GlobalConnect issue?

It connects just fine but the sites I need to access do not load.

Funny, sometimes I don’t feel like running an Ethernet cord through my home, and sometimes it has worked on Wi-Fi (work sites) and other times it refuses to load - and as soon as I plug in this stupid cord  - it works just fine…

This is quite cumbersome, it’s 2021 like “VPN” Ethernet just WORK jeez all these “so called security” protocols - data bases and data still getting hacked and sold - I don’t mind the “VPN” but we are in a wireless world - I almost feel like it isn’t a T-Mobile “issue” as much as its a silly “security” or some odd setting - also if the issue is with the MTU being the lowest on the T-Mo Nokia router then why don’t T-Mobile do a firmware update and just use the MAX size - what is the delay - I just dont understand - I wonder if my IT team will eve given admin access to try this - it really sucks because I don’t want to have to use Comcast - but yea the irony of not being able to use T-Mobile “home” internet and you…….

Yes its a confirmed fix. I have been using it without issue over a month now. I don’t know when T-Mobile will fix this issue in their gateway, but meanwhile lowering MTU on VPN interface is non-harmful in every way, so your IT team shouldn’t have any concern setting this one up for you. Since you don’t have admin access, make sure to ask them to set the sh script (as explained in the blog) to run on every restart as the VPN interface resets itself everytime on restarts.

I ran across this thread while researching the Virtual Server problem.  I can confirm that the Virtual Server setup does not work for me.  However, I just got my T-Mobile Home Internet up and running today, and I use GlobalProtect to get into my network at work, and have had no problems.  Since I just got the service, perhaps I have a different gateway than others on this thread.  My gateway’s model # is TML-RTL0102, which I haven’t seen in this thread (unless I missed it).  I am part of the IT team at work, so if I have connectivity trouble from home, I have to ask myself. :)  We use a Palo Alto 5260 firewall with GlobalProtect, and so far, no isues with browsing either internet or remote (VPN) web sites.  I normally use my VPN connection to RDP into my work desktop, which works fine.  I am going to give it a few days before canceling my service with Cox.

Also, a good workaround for the RDP issue is to use Splashtop, which I already have.

My GlobalProtect VPN client is version 5.2.7, if that helps any.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I ran across this thread while researching the Virtual Server problem.  I can confirm that the Virtual Server setup does not work for me.  However, I just got my T-Mobile Home Internet up and running today, and I use GlobalProtect to get into my network at work, and have had no problems.  Since I just got the service, perhaps I have a different gateway than others on this thread.  My gateway’s model # is TML-RTL0102, which I haven’t seen in this thread (unless I missed it).  I am part of the IT team at work, so if I have connectivity trouble from home, I have to ask myself. :)  We use a Palo Alto 5260 firewall with GlobalProtect, and so far, no isues with browsing either internet or remote (VPN) web sites.  I normally use my VPN connection to RDP into my work desktop, which works fine.  I am going to give it a few days before canceling my service with Cox.

Also, a good workaround for the RDP issue is to use Splashtop, which I already have.

My GlobalProtect VPN client is version 5.2.7, if that helps any.

I now get a new alert from GlobalProtect once I enter my password
“VPN prerequisites met”
I’m running .0168
And connected via Wi-Fi
Haven’t really tried it with ethernet to see if connection issues persists.
Prefer to use less cords (Wi-Fi)

“VPN prerequisites met”
I’m running .0168
And connected via Wi-Fi

What is the .0168 you’re referring to?

I use GlobalProtect on my hardwired desktop, so maybe it would be different if I was on wireless.  I’ll bring my laptop home from work today and try that.

Userlevel 1
Badge

“VPN prerequisites met”
I’m running .0168
And connected via Wi-Fi

What is the .0168 you’re referring to?

I use GlobalProtect on my hardwired desktop, so maybe it would be different if I was on wireless.  I’ll bring my laptop home from work today and try that.

Interesting, well if it helps, I’m on a Desktop, not a Laptop.  Wi-Fi used to not function - until I changed the network profile - then it allowed VPN protected apps/sites to load and function - 

So this is probably an overly simple solutions and beyond the issues that you are all having but just for us common folks out there - I just got the Inseego hotspot and tried to connect to office VPN through FortiClient.  It didn’t work so I ended up here.

Anyway, on my computer, I right clicked the internet icon on my task bar, selected Properties on the Mifi device which brought up Settings.  From there, I changed Network profile from Public to Private.  It’s working now - fingers crossed.

Userlevel 1
Badge

So this is probably an overly simple solutions and beyond the issues that you are all having but just for us common folks out there - I just got the Inseego hotspot and tried to connect to office VPN through FortiClient.  It didn’t work so I ended up here.

Anyway, on my computer, I right clicked the internet icon on my task bar, selected Properties on the Mifi device which brought up Settings.  From there, I changed Network profile from Public to Private.  It’s working now - fingers crossed.

Yes - I shared this comment (somewhere lol) changing it from Public to Private allows TMHI to connect to the VPN over Wi-Fi - on SW version .168 - hopefully whatever comes after .178 is better - .178 breaks VPN access for me public,private Wi-Fi or Ethernet -

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

I guess I will find out as I just ordered the service but seems backordered till mid Sept.

Odd is I have PIA VPN on my phone and that works always no issue I wonder why the gateway on the same network would be so different.

I had the same issue as everyone else on here. The lady I spoke with at T-mobile believes that the firmware that the home internet device has is not compatible with the VPN. They will be trying to download new firmware to the home internet device and hopefully that will resolve the issue.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

If it hasn’t already been mentioned, something you might try is different protocols in your VPN. For example, I read somewhere that TCP was working better than UDP for some. 

@IXO how do i go about changing the Protcols?  I’m not in our IT department. Is that something i can do on my own?

The firmware update Tmobile did had fixed the issue when i was using my work laptop, but I still have issues when trying to sign in from my personal laptop.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Looks like a new major firmware release is hitting the wire.  Supposed to address VPN issues as well as some screwy 4G/5G band selection issues.This just came up in my YT feed:

That was posted earlier this week.  May take a while to trickle out to everyone, as they do the updates in phases.

I am currently working from home.  I use a company provided laptop with an always on VPN client to access my job's servers. No problem with spectrum cable. I have the brand new grey t-mobile gateway and cannot get in.  My IT guy worked with me and says it must be how the ports are provisioned.  He said to call and get level 2 support.  He wanted to know about specific ports. Did that, was on hold over an hour.  Tech I spoke with basically said they don't do ports. What?!  In fact when I gave her the port #s to look into she basically said no, thats not how it is designed. The tech I spoke with before her said WAN is blocked by default. What?! The level 2 person said that was not right. I get about 130 Mbps down and about 35 Mbos up. So speed is good.  My tvs, tablets, laptops, nintendo gaming, vivint(connect with lan cable to one of two ports on gateway) are streaming working fine. I can surf the web from the company laptop.  I can also get to my MS Teams & Outlook. But when I try to access a certain part of the network it won't connect. Level 2 tech opened a ticket. My VPN does not like this gateway for some reason. 

Any resolution?

I have the VPN issues with MS Client VPN and running out of option other than cancelling it.

Did you find a solution John?  I also work for MS and am having issues..

Any luck with a good solution for this? I  have NOK 5G21 GATEWAY GRY KIT. My company uses Cisco Anyconnect to VPN through company laptop. And VMware Horizon Client to remote in from personal laptop. My company blames T-mobile, and t-mobile blames my company. It works perfectly fine from my friend’s internet (internet from other company), but I have issue when trying from t-mobile wireless internet. At this point I don’t see any option other than switching company for internet. 

Trying change MTU on PC to 1390 or find proper MTU using ping to destination IP. What’s allow MTU 

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTRDu62Ft/?k=1

Following - similar boat here, GlobalProtect VPN does not want to play nice with the T-Mobile home internet apparently. :( 

Odd I haven't had any issues with globalprotect VPN I'm having issues with Citrix workspace that we use to access a virtual application 

Sorry for the delay.  Basically it is an IPv4 vs v6 issue and my IT says they are not going to re-provision the network to work with TMobile's IPv6 network. Here is what Tmob sent me in an email:

"There are no known issues with VPNs and how they interact with the T-Mobile network to provide internet service. There may be an underlying factor (that can only be addressed by the owner of that VPN client) where there is a need to have ipv4 and ipv6 double stacked into the setup configuration to avoid any service issues. Please have the customer reach out to their VPN client support to check if this is indeed the configuration being used and to also further troubleshoot the VPN issue.   

Failed outbound VPN connection is caused by a known carrier grade NAT issue relating to T-Mobile’s implementation a fully IPv6 network and the implementation of 464XLAT, NAT64, and DNS64 for accessing IPv4 resources. The customer’s VPN or VPN server they are connecting to is not properly configured to work with an IPv6 network. This is a third party issue that T-Mobile cannot help with."

That is a bold faced lie- if it was a third party issue with the VPN then why does everything work perfectly on my Verizon hotspot and it worked on my CenturyLink WiFi but suddenly I switch to T-Mobile and I can't access Citrix workspace VPN it just keeps disconnecting 

After spending the better part of two days trying to get my VPN working (using the built in Microsoft VPN software) it looks like there is no solution.

I was on Twitter DMs with T-Mo support, and after telling them what I did (MTU, Dropping IPV6, rebooting numerous times) they replied thusly:

It seems like you truly have done the steps we recommend and if multiple VPNs are not working we may not be able to get them to agree with the service. I know the VPN is crucial, I have to use one for work and I know tons of people use VPN for that. We may not always go the route of suggesting to cancel service or have that talk that the home internet service is not for you but at the end of the day our number one goal is to make sure our services do the job, and if they do not, I don't want to take your money for something like that.

I admire them for being willing to tell me this, and to lose me as a customer. It is refreshing to see this, as sad as I am to not have a solution

I am still trying to find a way to keep using them (I seldom use VPN, my wife needs it more frequently than I do, and we are looking for another solution)

My company uses Check Point SecuRemote VPN and I am getting "Negotiation with site failed” using TMHI.

I installed an Eero Pro mesh network, and now the VPN works without a problem.