Question

I'M GOING TO VERIZON AFTER 21 YEARS ...GATEWAY IS THE WORST MISTAKE EVER

Userlevel 1
Badge

WHERE DO I START???? I was so excited on FEBRUARY 2ND 2022 to install the Tmobile home internet Gateway. It was supposed to take 15 minutes...it ended up being 8 hours to get it to work correctly I should have known right there that this was a giant mistake when the tower they sent had a bad modem chip! I had to go to the nearest tmobile which is 30 minutes away wait 45 minutes to be waited on to get the new one (because they didnt want to inconvenience me) got home 30 minutes later to spend several more hours to get it to work. A MONTH LATER...NO INTERNET..ANOTHER MODEM ISSUE..it was call after call to INDIA where no-one can speak to you about the issue because they are to busy reading from their book of what to say and just keep talking over you the entire time. Sooooo I wait the “overnight” send which is always 3-4 DAYS. They were so kind to not charge me for the expedite ands gave me a discount of $25 which never went to my account. OHHH and I forgot to add that the 8 hour debacle for my trouble I was getting a $40 charge for 6 months..THAT NEVER happened shockingly there was no “note”.  NOW IT IS MAY...the internet GOES down..I called talked to a guy again in India who tried to give me a hundred excuses as to what the problem may be. I was away for the weekend came home and no internet but somehow someone must have moved it too close to a microwave.  Soooo its been 4 days of phone calls I talk to someone for 2 hours on MAY 16th. WE FINALLY get straight that I am not calling about a phone problem🤦‍♀️🤬.  She will send me MY 4TH TOWER SINCE FEBRUARY 2ND because once again the modem is not woking.  ON the 19th I call to find out where the tower is I HEAR CHICKENS IN THE BACKGROUND AS THE “TECH SUPPORT” PERSON TELLS ME THAT THE LAST PERSON NEVER PUT IN THE ORDER FOR THE NEW ONE! SOOO here I am BACK on hold MAY 20TH with yet another person SANDRA who is reading from her book about being so sorry for the inconvenience as I demand to speak to a SUPERVISOR WHOHAS BEEN BUSY THE PAST 35 MINUTES. I have lost my mind on this and am looking up VERIZON PLANS as I wait on hold. 

I’ve been with them for 21 years! thats longer then most marriages! and I am still on hold….

25 replies

After your experience, I am reluctant to share mine.  After receiving the gateway, I had things setup and running in under an hour.  My only issue was placement, which I resolved after figuring out where the tower was (relative to my home).  I am using an Eero mesh router that plugs into the ethernet gateway port.  My download speed averages about 50 mbs with 3 bars.  My issue with this gateway is the lack of what could be called a ‘configuration’ panel (either via the web or app).  It is very sad that you cannot disable the wifi radio or other advanced settings without writing scripts and using the Terminal app (Mac).  I hope this is addressed in a future update.  In the meantime, I am saving $30+ from Comast per month.  Now, who is this gateway actually for…. If you are a web browser, email user and/or tv streamer, you will likely be satisfied.  If you need ‘live’ streaming, are an avid game player or routinely share large files, then I think you will be disappointed. The gateway connection, although reliable for me, is a bit erratic and often has excessive loaded latency times.  T-Mobile should ask more of how the user intends to use the gateway before shipping this product.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

WHERE DO I START???? I was so excited on FEBRUARY 2ND 2022 to install the Tmobile home internet Gateway. It was supposed to take 15 minutes...it ended up being 8 hours to get it to work correctly I should have known right there that this was a giant mistake when the tower they sent had a bad modem chip! I had to go to the nearest tmobile which is 30 minutes away wait 45 minutes to be waited on to get the new one (because they didnt want to inconvenience me) got home 30 minutes later to spend several more hours to get it to work. A MONTH LATER...NO INTERNET..ANOTHER MODEM ISSUE..it was call after call to INDIA where no-one can speak to you about the issue because they are to busy reading from their book of what to say and just keep talking over you the entire time. Sooooo I wait the “overnight” send which is always 3-4 DAYS. They were so kind to not charge me for the expedite ands gave me a discount of $25 which never went to my account. OHHH and I forgot to add that the 8 hour debacle for my trouble I was getting a $40 charge for 6 months..THAT NEVER happened shockingly there was no “note”.  NOW IT IS MAY...the internet GOES down..I called talked to a guy again in India who tried to give me a hundred excuses as to what the problem may be. I was away for the weekend came home and no internet but somehow someone must have moved it too close to a microwave.  Soooo its been 4 days of phone calls I talk to someone for 2 hours on MAY 16th. WE FINALLY get straight that I am not calling about a phone problem🤦‍♀️🤬.  She will send me MY 4TH TOWER SINCE FEBRUARY 2ND because once again the modem is not woking.  ON the 19th I call to find out where the tower is I HEAR CHICKENS IN THE BACKGROUND AS THE “TECH SUPPORT” PERSON TELLS ME THAT THE LAST PERSON NEVER PUT IN THE ORDER FOR THE NEW ONE! SOOO here I am BACK on hold MAY 20TH with yet another person SANDRA who is reading from her book about being so sorry for the inconvenience as I demand to speak to a SUPERVISOR WHOHAS BEEN BUSY THE PAST 35 MINUTES. I have lost my mind on this and am looking up VERIZON PLANS as I wait on hold. 

I’ve been with them for 21 years! thats longer then most marriages! and I am still on hold….

Sorry to hear. I can absolutely relate to your frustration. I once had a complaint and spoke to a supervisor about getting some credit back and he says:

“Sir, I see you received over $3K in credits as a TMobile customer so I don’t think we can give you more.”

Right there I wanted to punch the guy in his face, but all I could do was counter with:

“That’s right Mr. Supervisor but is that the payoff and trade in credits that TMobile gave me for bringing all 5 lines/phones from ATT to TMobile or are you saying I call every day complaining about random things and I’ve racked up $3K in credits so far (I don’t BTW)?”

After about 10 sec of silence he goes:

“Sorry I can’t see the line items on the credit, just the total.”

The rest of the conversation was getting an apology and getting the $10 credit that I asked for. I still felt so wronged that I wanted to cancel everything from TMobile, but I admit I get such a great deal with my corp discount, I got to just suck it up and move on. However, if you can get an equivalent deal elsewhere, save your frustration for the person who handles cancellations. It’s far more satisfying and they may buckle and give you an offer you can’t refuse.

That’s what I did with ATT. They kept screwing up my billing and I gave them an ultimatum - if they screw up even by one penny in my next bill I am cancelling. I made sure they noted that on my account. Of course they screwed up again so I called to cancel and I couldn’t wait until the cancellation guy asked “why are you cancelling?” It was very satisfying. I got the payoff statement and switched to TMobile. I actually didn’t know about my corp discount until after I switched so that was a bonus.

Badge

I feel for you. Are you also aware that the 5G Gateway has only the WPA3 security protocol... so any devices that don't have a WPA3 will not connect! Something you'd never imagine until yr 14 day period runs out!!! So, I'm having to change my apple TV device, and all my printers!!! Go figure!! 

I've spent 7 hrs with morons in the Philippines getting assurances on how they will help... with NOTHING!! It is appalling, unbelievable! Absolute ignoramus for CSRs. 

TMOBILE... I have never spent so many hours with customer service when I was a tmobile cell customer for 10 years. Going back to AT&T which was, luckily, not disconnected. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

I feel for you. Are you also aware that the 5G Gateway has only the WPA3 security protocol... so any devices that don't have a WPA3 will not connect! Something you'd never imagine until yr 14 day period runs out!!! So, I'm having to change my apple TV device, and all my printers!!! Go figure!!

If you have the Nokia gateway, changing the encryption protocol (WPA) is easily possible through the web GUI.

Changing the Arcadyan gateway encryption protocol is possible, but requires more effort.

Badge

Can you please advise how the Arcadian can be changed. 

I think the moderator has cut out my request because I had fumed and ranted a bit about customer service from the Philippines again. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

Can you please advise how the Arcadian can be changed. 

There are a couple of YouTube videos explaining how to do this:

Hidden Settings - Arcadyan KVD21 T-Mobile 5G Home Internet

Turn Off/On Wifi & Reboot - Arcadyan KVD21 T-Mobile 5G Home Internet

The setting to change is “encryptionVersion”.

Courtesy of iTinkeralot

Badge

Thank you for this info... I returned the t mobile device and will never go back.

This is not the kind of stuff customers should have to do. It is an absurd expectation 

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

Thank you for this info... I returned the t mobile device and will never go back.

This is not the kind of stuff customers should have to do. It is an absurd expectation 

Sorry that it didn’t work out for you, but just to let others know, T-Mobile has apparently updated their T-Mobile Home Internet app recently to allow adjusting the parameters much easier using a GUI.

My speedtest this AM is <6bps.  And their tech support put me on terminal hold till they hung up and sent me to their app.  And now they say they cannot connect to DirectTV.  Fascists. 

My TMobile Gateway has been running for 40 days now with no issues. I have the ethernet output plugged into a netgear orbi mesh system. I have gotten anywhere from 250-500M all the time--and my signal from the tower is always very good or excellent. I am very happy--it just works. (And, with the Orbi system---I have screaming fast Internet throughout my home and yard).

I previously had ATT fiber--which is great--until it goes down. Then you have to wait at least 3-5 days for service. Not acceptable if you work from home. (Whenever ATT had gone down--I used a TMobile 5G hotspot for backup. It was always there. That’s what led me to kick out ATT. Hey, if this thing always works--why not just use it? So, bye bye ATT and hello TMOBILE Internet gateway.

Which particular system did you get? The prices vary significantly…  I am looking low end, not the 1k items…  Thanks.

I got the high end orbi with three satellites and WiFi 6. I have a 2 story home with walkout basement--so I have satellites on three floors--and it works great. (I typically do not use the WiFi signal coming from the gateway)

Userlevel 2
Badge

My TMobile Gateway has been running for 40 days now with no issues. I have the ethernet output plugged into a netgear orbi mesh system. I have gotten anywhere from 250-500M all the time--and my signal from the tower is always very good or excellent. I am very happy--it just works. (And, with the Orbi system---I have screaming fast Internet throughout my home and yard).

I previously had ATT fiber--which is great--until it goes down. Then you have to wait at least 3-5 days for service. Not acceptable if you work from home. (Whenever ATT had gone down--I used a TMobile 5G hotspot for backup. It was always there. That’s what led me to kick out ATT. Hey, if this thing always works--why not just use it? So, bye bye ATT and hello TMOBILE Internet gateway.

You got tmobile home internet, and it all works out.  Then decided to find the t-mobile forums and find people frustrated and desperate for working service so you could tell them how yours works great?  You sound like a paid actor and for no reason.  Your success story means nothing to people who can’t even load a google search for “speedtest”.

Nonsense. I am just a plain old TMobile gateway user. Today my signal is 5 bars and this AM I am getting just over 500. Maybe I am just fortunate enough to live near an antenna. TMobile doesn’t pay me anything.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Nonsense. I am just a plain old TMobile gateway user. Today my signal is 5 bars and this AM I am getting just over 500. Maybe I am just fortunate enough to live near an antenna. TMobile doesn’t pay me anything.

My T-Mobile internet was out for the first time this morning for about 60 minutes or less.  (It’s been slow some recent mornings, too, for less than 30 minutes, with speeds way below hundred, when usually the download speeds are 200-300 something.) My connection speed was showing “very good” on the tower, while it’s usually only “good”.  My eero 6+ pods were even showing at first they were connected to the internet, even though there was no internet on any device, only a connection to the network.  I unplugged and restarted the tower and eero a few times.  Went to the T-Mobile Internet app, which was no help, and started thinking of going back to Cox. 

Seriously, while I have the time to work out internet connection problems, as well as have no important need to be on the internet, I simply don’t have the patience any longer to talk to tech reps or keep trying various things to fix modem or router problems.  Cox appears to have resolved their issues on my street, too, as the telephone/internet modem shows. The eero mesh system has also never misfunctioned. Yet Cox is nowhere near as fast as T-Mobile and I love the idea of having a totally wireless internet connection, not one where a repair person has to come out when they can get here.  

I’m going to get another eero pod, however, because I’ll need one if I go back to Cox.  Right now, though, I’ll stick with T-Mobile.  The internet outage this morning was no big deal and fixed itself, unless all the unplugging did it.  But if I ever start having some of the chronic problems many who post here have, I will be gone.  And drjim, I have no doubt whatsoever you are a real T-Mobile internet user, not a T-Mobile shill.  When T-Mobile internet works, it can’t be beat, in my opinion.

I've read all the comments, plus many more while scouring the internet for answers. The most accurate comment I found stated, "If you are lucky enough to get a TMobile Gateway that receives a decent signal in your location of choice, and you are able to connect devices to the internet then count your blessings!" I am now on my third Gateway and (knock on wood) things seem to be working appropriately. I have a TP-Link Archer AX6000 router set as an access point and it allows me to set devices to either the 2.4 or 5g band. I too would like to turn off the Gateway wifi, but that will have to wait until someone much smarter than I am can explain how to do it.

Im about to jump ship 2. 3rd phone in under 4 months and have to pay taxes and shipping every time then 2hrs later tell me to drive 30 minutes to Beaumont Texas and pay a different company to fix come on t-mobile step it up I deserve a free upgrade in my train of thought. So do you sorry for adding on but every post I try and send my phone glitch and start over 

The manager in Nederland Texas has worked for t-mobile over 10 years couldn't help the main boss couldn't help. I shouldn't have to pay another company to fix my third phone in under 4 months. Android 14 is trash in my book I'll take my13 even my 12 back 😤   never had a iPhone my wife and son do and love them just to old to learn a new phone lol 😆   feel like if I switch I'm giving up on Dallas cowboys lol. I know they suck and have always my team please don't bash me too much. But would love someone's opinion 🤔 

I had straight talk for years when they first came out great coverage good price but trash phones and never spoke to a costumer service person I could understand great but way less problems I've had in the last 2 years  

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

The manager in Nederland Texas has worked for t-mobile over 10 years couldn't help the main boss couldn't help. I shouldn't have to pay another company to fix my third phone in under 4 months. Android 14 is trash in my book I'll take my13 even my 12 back 😤   never had a iPhone my wife and son do and love them just to old to learn a new phone lol 😆   feel like if I switch I'm giving up on Dallas cowboys lol. I know they suck and have always my team please don't bash me too much. But would love someone's opinion 🤔 

this thread has nothing to do with phones...home net..

And will you please give me your opinion I'm willing to try anything I don't want jump ship on t-mobile and start over I value everyone's opinion and yes I was in my feelings and apologize but do you have any suggestions or clue on what I should do  or what you would do please reply 

How not would you pay 3 different times for the same phone with same problems and get told to bring to didn't company and have to pay them to fix if you say yes I'm not arguing one bit but disagree 100% 

How not would you pay 3 different times for the same phone with same problems and get told to bring to didn't company and have to pay them to fix if you say yes I'm not arguing one bit but disagree 100% 

In under 4 months months I have full coverage insurance I pay for but this close to holidays I don't have a extra grand for a new phone if you do can I borrow with 19% interest rates I have great credit lol. Trying to make light of the situation but you can only give in so much before enough is enough right 

Please let me hear your opinion about this hole situation what would you do. Keep paying for 6 devices and be OK 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

my opinion would be to ask such questions in an area more dedicated to your question..not piggy backing onto someone elses issue and trying to turn it into your thread/issue..