I was skeptical, but a fan does seem to help

• 30 August 2021
  • 27 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I was skeptical a fan would help anything but now I'm not. I installed an 80mm one and it does seem to increase speeds once the lower temperature stabilizes (a few hours after install).

I only have the fan on low and I have it plugged in to the USB-C on the back of the gateway with a USB-C to USB adapter.

Note, the 80mm fan size seems to work best as the air goes in to the gateway better versus 120mm, where some air goes outside of it.

I got this fan, only about $11: https://amzn.to/3mFqaKo

27 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

I seem to have a new router mode that’s square instead of round.  Has anyone tried a fan with this unit or found that it needed one? Mine is sitting on a top shelf near a skylight.  I actually got a faster signal with it in the attic without any windows, but if they already have heat issues, the attic is out of the question.  Also now that a number of people are using a fan for months, has any one noticed a lot of dust accumulating?  I am thinking a fan without any filtering at all might make things worse eventually. The vary porous low back pressure  filterer material  used in window AC units between the fan and the router may work well enough if it is cleaned every few months.

As you can see in the Nokia gateway it is a cylinder design where 100% of air has to flow bottom to top. On the Arcadyan “box”, there are vents on the bottom and top, but the entire back and about 80% of the side covers are perforated. I don’t see how a fan can do much. I’ve only had the Arcadyan for about 2 months and so far no heat issues. However, I am not using the built in wifi router so that may be a factor as well.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I bought this $17 UBS fan on Amazon.  It’s totally silent and I’d estimate the Gateway top went from 110 to 120 degrees to below room temp.  It’s cool to the touch now.   My device drop outs so far have stopped.

In Florida it rains SO much it’s hard to measure speeds. All over the map from 23 mbps to 85.   It’s not fast but so far meets my needs.  Wi fi disconnections was the #1 problem with this Gateway and the new fan seems to have solved that.

So thanks for the great fan tip.  The easy solution is usually the best solution.

Dave H.