Question

Internet Randomly Drops😡

• 29 June 2022
  • 6 replies

Badge

I see it isn't just me who is having issue with T-Mobile's Home Internet service.  My wifi randomly drops throughout the day everyday.  I've contacted customer service numerous times.  We've done all the trouble shooting steps, and customer service has done whatever testing they do.  They say everything is working fine 🤷 I've connected my TV using my cellphone's mobile hotspot and it works great.  It's so annoying.

6 replies

Incredibly annoying and disappointing since I’m all in with t-mobile. Even though the Gateway box says my signal is excellent, I have trouble connecting devices and have to restart it frequently. Not good! 
icalled tech and they said everything was fine on the signal end. We tried all my devices, which of course worked as long as tech was with be but a little while later it all turned bad again. I don’t know what to do!

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

If the signal is showing excellent go to your client and change the DNS to 8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4 vs allowing it to be provided from 192.168.12.1. Or try Cloud Flare or another DNS server. I have seen times when my cellular signals both look good and changing the DNS on the client fixes the problem.

Unfortunately, I have no idea what you’re talking about. I don’t have any technical knowledge beyond “plug it in” and “try turning it off and on again.” I’ll gladly try your suggestions if you explain them to me like I’m a kindergartner. Thanks! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Start with the details. What model of gateway do you have? What are the clients? How old are the devices/clients you are using? PCs, laptops, TV, etc… If the cellular signal is not actually dropping out the problem might be related to the local wireless network connections. I need to know more about what we are working with. Apple devices or Windows or manufacturers, HP or Dell for example. If the clients are older it may have something to do with the network adapters vs the gateway alone. 

Hi, thanks for being patient with me. I appreciate it. Here’s the strange thing now: the Gateway device has worked flawlessly the past few days, as if it heard me complain and fixed itself! I have no idea what happened but I’m not going to question it. 

Because you asked I can tell you that I got the Gateway square box at the end of September and all of my devices are Apples and new within the last few years although my MacBook Pro is older, I think four years or so. (And btw, it has difficulty connecting to the network for some reason. All my other devices have no problem.)

Anyway, thanks for taking the time and trouble to address my issue. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

On your MacBook Pro tick the Apple Icon at the top left of the screen. When the window opens it will have the “Overview” information. On the top line it should state the year of manufacture. If you select the link button System Report then a new dialog box opens with more detail, much more. It will have various category headers like Hardware, Network, Software. in the expanded Network section if you select Wi-Fi then it will report the wireless Ethernet interface(s) information.

For example my MacBook Pro is a Mid 2014

The wireless adapter information reports:

Card Type: AirPort Extreme  (0x14E4, 0x112)

Firmware Version: Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (7.77.111.1 AirPortDriverBrcmNIC-1680.11)

MAC Address: 6c:40:08:c0:ff:ee

Locale: FCC

Country Code: US

Supported PHY Modes: 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac <-Guessing yours reports the same PHY Modes

Supported Channels: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 36, 40, 44, 48, 52, 56, 60, 64, 100, 104, 108, 112, 116, 120, 124, 128, 132, 136, 140, 144, 149, 153, 157, 161, 165

Below that information it has a heading, Current Network Information & Other Local Wi-Fi Networks

If the adapter does not have knowledge of the current live wireless network SSID it should not be listed here. If there are Other Local Wi-Fi Networks information listed it might be interesting to know what is reported in the Wi-Fi wireless networks listing as that might provide some clues to how it is operating. I would expect it to possibly report the channels, network type, and security (WPA WPA2 WPA3)

Farther down in the left hand side the Software header has sub-headings. The most interesting for this would be the Logs (select) On the right there are a number of Name headings. Scroll down the list till you see Wi-Fi log then select that. Below that the wi-fi logging information is recorded. If there are indications of problems I would expect there could be a listing of errors or something to help explain the operation of the wireless adapter with regard to the network connection or lack there of. 

I am not sure just what to look for in the wireless log. I am not an Apple expert. Since mine seems to just work I have not explored this log in detail. At the top of the lower window there is a link to the right of the Source: /var/log/wifi.log which is the location where the logs are stored. Mine stores 12 wifi logs each with a different name. So, there are historical records. If there are strings that look interesting you might find some information on the web with a search.