Question

IP Location issue

Userlevel 1
Badge

So apparently I cannot connect to sites that need to verify your location because my new tmobile internet service shows me as being located in a State that is different from my actual location.

Been on hold for 50 mins to speak to someone, not sure if I will get anyone tonight and this is not looking good for customer service support that you don’t have a different number specifically for tech issues like this.

30 replies

Same deal for us in Colorado, except I don’t think it’s an IP number translation issue since my location will alternate between Aurora, CO (not bad, about 30 miles away) and Memphis, TN (not even the same time zone!)  If I go to a geolocation site like https://www.where-am-i.co/ it will switch back and forth constantly - mostly the Memphis address, but then every so often it will come up as Aurora. 

When it’s wrong it breaks lots of things - streaming content, google maps, local weather reports, my Windows 10 current time, the default timezone for calendaring, and on and on.

I spent a bunch of time with “my personal tech support” on T-Mobile - I spoke with 2 techs who were friendly enough, but of no help at all.  The second one decided it must be a problem with my computer instead of their gateway and transferred my call to Dell’s tech support line even after I told him it’s also a problem on my HP computer and phone!

It seemed like the problem wasn’t addressed in their troubleshooting script anywhere so they just punted - I didn’t bother to call back and go through that whole thing again.

We have the Nokia 5G21 Gateway, but I heard from a human T-Mobile employee at one of their retail stores that there is a “new” fancier 5G gateway available now - does anyone have this new hardware, but continue to have geolocation problems? 

I’m tempted to call and demand the newer gateway.

We have the Nokia 5G21 Gateway, but I heard from a human T-Mobile employee at one of their retail stores that there is a “new” fancier 5G gateway available now - does anyone have this new hardware, but continue to have geolocation problems? 

A new gateway won’t help since any gateway or cellphone will connect to the same DHCP service that provides the dynamic IP addresses and those addresses have to come from a pool - keep in mind IP v4 has limited IPs available for the world to use so that’s why they are dynamic and not permanently assigned to you. 

I live near KC MO and I too get bopped around from a Denver IP and a Memphis IP - I’ve never got a location with 400mi!.  This is not a problem unique to T-mobile.  Verizon generally has me out of Chicago - just looked in the logs and my Verizon cell card in my laptop had me in Lakewood, CO, Gardner, KS, Berryton, KS, Scranton, KS, and Indianapolis, IN in just the last 24hrs!.  I see others on ATT in my logs bopping around Chicago and Kansas City and Houston. My Centurylink DSL line has me out of the other side of the state.  Basically, using IP addresses for geo-location has never been a good idea and website and content providers should stop relying on it as being accurate.

Knowing what I know...I still came here hoping to find a solution because I too am frustrated by this.  Here’s what one of the GEO IP location database services has to say about this topic.  Keep in mind the websites you are visiting have to use one of these database services to get the location information.  They don’t get it directly from your ISP (e.g. t-mobile, ATT, Verizon, etc)

With those limitations in mind, we estimate that our GeoIP2 products can identify users at the country level with 99.8% accuracy. For IPs located within the U.S., we estimate around an 80% accuracy at the state/region level, and a 66% accuracy for cities (within a 50km radius of that city).”

Geolocation Accuracy – MaxMind

At least I get located in the right country every time :(

Badge

I agree this is a major issue. Being disabled and home watching TV a lot, I cannot get the local information from the Smart TV channels, having streaming services repotting that my location seems wrong. I am trying to get my TV to use my location from my account, but it seems that I don’t have a way to do that.

I believe that we need to start contacting the BBB, FCC/FTC plus your local Agricultural, Trade and Consumer Protection, Public Service Commission and Department of Justice. Since my area has junk cable (down 30% or more) I don’t have much other choice for ISP in my building. 

The reasons phones are not having the same issues is GPS built in. I wish somehow the gateway itself would have a way to provide the location via the SIM.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

I agree this is a major issue. Being disabled and home watching TV a lot, I cannot get the local information from the Smart TV channels, having streaming services repotting that my location seems wrong. I am trying to get my TV to use my location from my account, but it seems that I don’t have a way to do that.

I believe that we need to start contacting the BBB, FCC/FTC plus your local Agricultural, Trade and Consumer Protection, Public Service Commission and Department of Justice. Since my area has junk cable (down 30% or more) I don’t have much other choice for ISP in my building. 

The reasons phones are not having the same issues is GPS built in. I wish somehow the gateway itself would have a way to provide the location via the SIM.

The root cause for live TV streaming goes to the television rights that were never designed for the internet. We all know there are local restrictions and blackout rules especially for news and sports. Local advertising counts on selectively broadcasting to only their respective local areas. When these policies were created it was easy to enforce because you literally had to be in the same zip code as the TV transmission towers or the access was controlled by the cable set top boxes. Well actually, the cable companies just installed band filters on your cable feed to block certain channels and you could simply remove those if you knew how, but I digress…..

Fast forward to now, the folks who own these local restriction polices are still trying to control who gets to watch what. It’s not good enough for you to just type in your zip code. No, they have to use IP geolocation or GPS because they think we are all liars.

So what’s the happy medium where we attest that we are in a given local area and satisfy the regulators that we are physically located where we claim to be?

Enabling GPS on your home ISP and providing that to any website or web service that requested it would be dangerous.  Imagine if this website just posted your physical location for anyone to see.  I strongly oppose this idea.

Yes, phones do have the same issue when they rely on IP based location.  So, people that do not want to share GPS information still have this same IP location problem. As the poster above pointed out, the complaints really need to be placed on the web site and TV service providers.