Question

Is anyone else having problems with a changing IP address?

Userlevel 3
Badge

I’ve had the Home Internet service for 3 months now and I’m generally happy with it, but one thing is rather annoying. The external IP address that gets assigned to my gateway keeps changing. This has two side effects. Web sites for CCs, banks, etc remember the IP address that you last used to connect and if it changes, they will require additional verification. The other problem is with streaming TV services. The local broadcasts that I’m allowed to watch will depend on where they think that I’m located. My estimated location usually depends on my IP address and in the last month this has changed 4 times! My IP address location has changed from Kansas to Oklahoma, to Texas and today it thinks I’m on Ohio!

53 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

I have the same problem with the changing IP that I’ve touched on in my main thread.

Usually I only got a new IP when my device rebooted.  But I recently had my IP change without a reboot so I’m going to keep an eye on that to see how often it happens or if it was a fluke.  As for the location I don’t think it’s reliable at this point in time.  I’m in Kansas but anything that uses geolocation by IP thinks I’m in Texas.  That’s for T-Mobile to fix and I don’t know if they ever will.

I’m having issues with my IP constantly changing as well.  I get the same added verification requirements as noted above.  At work I have to give our IT person my IP address for him to enter into the backend of our system so when I try to login it will see my IP address is already on the “guest list” and then grant me access.  Every time the power goes out or I have to reboot the tower it changes.  I’m starting to really feel back having to ask him to yet again enter in my new IP address.  I would really like to know if there is a IP range they are using for my area so I can provide that to my IT person keeping him from having to manually enter in each new IP address - very annoying. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

The XLAT464 implementaton they used for dual-stack IPV4/V6 support on their IPV6 only network functions in some ways like a VPN ser vb ices

Short lease times, and each time you reconnect the public IP can change--and it may even be shared with more than one client as well, which can make it behave somewhat like CGNAT as well.

Some issues might be resolved via IPv6 passthrough with a dedicated router (provided the applications/devices are IPv6 capable/aware), or a VPN service.  YMMV depending on what options are available, but about the only things available for most peopleuntil TMO changes things in layers above the modem.

There's an easy way to fix this. Unplug the gateway, then tap the reset port on the back with a push pin or paper clip. Slide the power switch off then on for good measure. When the top 3 lights are out and the front light is reddish, plug the power back in. When all the lights are green, the gateway should be reoriented to your local area.

I am having the same problem with the IP address changing periodically.  This is causing my streaming service to think I am in Kansas or San Antonio rather than Austin and the local channels reset.   A router reset seems to fix it temporarily.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

There's an easy way to fix this. Unplug the gateway, then tap the reset port on the back with a push pin or paper clip. Slide the power switch off then on for good measure. When the top 3 lights are out and the front light is reddish, plug the power back in. When all the lights are green, the gateway should be reoriented to your local area.

All it generally takes to change IP is a reboot.  Still on the LTE box, which takes a little while to fully come back online.  If by chance it isn't down long enough to trigger an IP swap, doing a full power down usually does the trick as that cycle takes a bit longer.

The point is that we are on a system that behaves kinda like a cheap/free VPN service (shared/dynamic IP's with short lease times) and sometimes we will get shot off into left field trying to get us online.

It appears the off-the-wall locations usually happen when congestion has ramped up where we were previously tunneled through.  For me here in Sputh Carolina, it tends mostly to swap between Charlotte and Atlanta... occasionally I might get shunted to Miami or somewhere out west though.

When those further out locations crop up, bandwidth REALLY tanks from the congestion.  Usually take that as a sign to just go do something else for about an hour, then power cycle the modem and hope things clear up.

Userlevel 1
Badge

my google weather app weather.com is forever changing locations…..I can only attribute this to the fact that I’m on T-Mobile Home Gateway (i.e. wireless internet)…. otherwise not having much of a problem with location/ip...

Userlevel 1

I keep losing Hulu. I have to call them and enter a new code from my computer. Also, all my financials want to be verified again. My wife is not happy with this, since I have to do this. If it continues, tmobile will lose a customer

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

this is NOT a Static IP and never will be.. 

This is causing me not to be able to log into my banks that use Netteller becasue the IP is changing mid login. Netteller thinks its a redirect hack. Really annoying.  I have to call tmobile to have the reset everything every time, then it works for a week, then stops.  Going to have to change provider.

Badge

I don’t understand this thread. Unless you pay your ISP for a static IP you won’t have a static IP. I don’t know of sites that validate you by IP address either, we use logins, password, two factor auth for that.

I use my phone to access my bank, I can do that at home or in an office, in each case the IP will differ because the WiFi networks differ.

Maybe I missed something...

Badge

This is causing me not to be able to log into my banks that use Netteller becasue the IP is changing mid login. Netteller thinks its a redirect hack. Really annoying.  I have to call tmobile to have the reset everything every time, then it works for a week, then stops.  Going to have to change provider.

Who was your previous ISP? did you have a static IP address? Ordinarily this is something you pay a bit extra for. The norm is dynamic IP, it will change unpredictably. You need a static IP if you are running your own webserver for example, that’s how the outside world can find you (the DNS system will map your domain name to that static IP).

But for day to day internet use I’ve never heard of people needing a static IP address, most home internet plans are by default dynamic IP no matter who the vendor is, Comcast, TMobile, CenturyLink...

The outside world isn’t calling in to you, you call out to external sites and services and for that we use username/password etc to gain access to them.

My previous ISP was kwikkom and have used cox, and cable one in the past with no issues.  Its not that it is changing, it is how fast it is changing.  The bank IT department sent me a log that shows the ip changes in the middle of logging into a netteller account.  They said that the timing for the ip change needs to be extended.  All tmobile would/can do is reset the device which as I said works for a week or less.  

Badge

Where can I see the IP address in the admin UI? (This is the NOKIA Im talking about).

Badge

OK easy, I just visit https://whatismyipaddress.com/  !!

Badge

When I do that I get told my IP is “likely” static:

What do you guyes see for that when you visit that site?

Badge

Well I just reset the gateway and the IP does change, definitely not static in my case.

My fix is in the last paragraph, but here is some context if you’re interested...

A short lease of my IP address just started happening to me, and I came across this forum. My external IP address is changing once or twice per minute! As you can imagine, this is really inconvenient because many sites check for this and boot the user when their IP address changes mid-session causing the user to login again.

I’m on a Mac, so at first I thought it had to do with the new-ish “limit IP tracking” feature -- turning that off didn’t do anything for me.

I then called T-Mobile and was not able to get beyond the first step of support (he was super nice, just not very helpful -- he spoke to an engineer up the ladder and came back to tell me that there was a difference between static and dynamic IP addresses...d’oh). The issue is not that it’s a dynamic IP address -- it’s the lease time of the dynamic external IP address that the Gateway is throwing out to the world. I was able to see my external IP address change very quickly through a simple PHP script.

(if you’re interested:)

echo ' MyIP:'. $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'];

My fix was to sign up for an external VPN (I chose protonVPN, but there are many others out there). This has fixed my issue, and I hope it’s helpful to someone else who comes across this discussion.

I'm also having problems related to verification with my bank and with Hulu Plus. I ended up canceling Hulu because neither Hulu nor T-mobile had a solution.  Now it's my bank. So I went to a T-Mobile store to see if there's anything new regarding this issue with T-Mobile dynamic IPs. Apparently not, but a guy there suggested taking my T-Mobile gateway router/modem and plugging in another router to the gateway. He said this will give me a static IP address.  Is there anyone savvy enough to have an opinion about doing this?

Userlevel 1

People above not understanding the problem are not reading it carefully. This is NOT about having a static IP. Its that the IP is changing as frequently as every few SECONDS. The wreaks havoc with many sign ins as if your IP changes mid-transaction it invalidates the transaction and you CANNOT LOG INTO THINGS YOU NEED TO. I can solve it with a VPN, but that’s a pain. Many services block IP switching mid transaction as a security measure and in other cases programs loose their connection to a server mid application causing errors. It is entirely unacceptable service from an ISP.

Userlevel 1

I will add I have had tmobile home internet for over a year and this problem is NEW in the last couple of months. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

... a guy there suggested taking my T-Mobile gateway router/modem and plugging in another router to the gateway. He said this will give me a static IP address.  Is there anyone savvy enough to have an opinion about doing this?

This may give you a static internal (LAN) address, but it won’t affect your external IP address that the rest of the internet sees. That happens between the gateway and T-Mobile’s WAN, and due to the nature of the TMHI infrastructure, that’s gonna change when it’s gonna change. Forum members report that if you get a business account, you can pay extra for a static external IP address, but there are some downsides to business accounts; e.g., some people have reported that they block streaming entertainment services. 

That said, changing IP address every few seconds is not the “normal” IP address change we typically see. Those changes usually occur less frequently, and often when something changes, like rebooting the gateway or the gateway changing 5G/LTE bands. Problems with lease timing, as suggested above, could be at fault, but renewing a lease every few seconds is abnormal behavior, and because our gateway firmware is so locked down, we can’t get to those settings.

Contacting TMHI service by phone is a crap shoot, and more often than not gets someone using a script who doesn’t really understand telecommunications very deeply at all.  Search on this forum for T-Force via Twitter or Facebook--people seem to have much better luck contacting service that way.  I now avoid the phone and go straight to Facebook chat with T-Force. The reps I connect with actually do seem to understand telecomm concepts, even if they can’t always resolve my issues.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

... a guy there suggested taking my T-Mobile gateway router/modem and plugging in another router to the gateway. He said this will give me a static IP address.  Is there anyone savvy enough to have an opinion about doing this?

T Search on this forum for T-Force via Twitter or Facebook--people seem to have much better luck contacting service that way.  I now avoid the phone and go straight to Facebook chat with T-Force. The reps I connect with actually do seem to understand telecomm concepts, even if they can’t always resolve my issues.

going the social media route lands you with tier 2 support instead of the call in tier 1 support.

I am having a different, but IP issue non the less.  My new T-Mobile modem shows one IPV4 IP address, Gateway IP and DNS IP.  However, Whatsmyip shows a completely different IP.  Any ideas on how to ask them to fix it? I am looking at switching from DSL, where it always shows the same for both DSL Modem WAN Public side and WhatsmyIP.  Typically, only changes with a reboot.

I’m having the same issues as of recently. I cant keep a IP address for more than a few seconds.

Also, Each of these IP checking sites always shows a different IP4 address even when loaded one after the other. 

whatismyipaddress.com

whatismyip.com

whatsmyip.org

This is a new issue and causing login issues for me with several site backends.