Question

is it normal 5G gateway self boots?

• 18 January 2022
  • 24 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

It has been doing this at least once a day….this is after I plugged in a fan on the bottom on the usb-c port. it is lowering the temp out from top about 10 C so I thought it would be helping….but why does it self reboot? when it does this of course I loose connectivity like 3-4 min.

I will unplug the fan today and see if the rebooting stops.

24 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

I unplugged the fan yesterday, still it rebooted last night at 3 am (with nobody using it)...

Userlevel 3
Badge

Mine started doing that randomly as well, which is not normal. Then it's started getting stuck in a boot cycle until it wouldn't even boot all the way up. Called and they sent a replacement. That was my experience, so if I were you I'd call now and tell them it won't power up which eventually yours probably won't. So you'll save yourself some downtime and headache.

Userlevel 2
Badge

I called Thursday last week and one lady said politely that my tower was being worked at and this should not be done after one day...but it still rebooted once Friday, then it was on but no internet Saturday morning. I had to power it off and on. Then again it rebooted this morning around 10 am….

She said it was not my router but the cell tower, which was hard to believe in the first place…

Userlevel 2
Badge

The main issue is my 3 cameras wont connect so fast after rebooting. one took like 5-10 hours to do so.  so this is not very good for my house security wise with it rebooting once a day.  I did not mind my old one (LTE) needing to reboot once a month.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Yeah it's not the tower, but definitely an issue with the router. Specifically, mine started when it got the latest firmware upgrade, can't remember the number (1609?) but it started giving error messages that didn't go away after factory resetting. Finally it started rebooting randomly, even when the device was running cool with a fan under it. And in the morning when trying to first get online, not after heavy usage. Then got stuck in a bootloop. I even got it to factory reset right when it started to power up before shutting down again but didn't help. If there was an issue with the tower, it would effect speeds or signal but not make it reboot. 

Userlevel 3
Badge

Also, my new Nokia router came with the firmware .0117 which I'm assuming is the latest firmware for this specific Nokia build firmware and hasn't tried to update in couple weeks and I did a factory reset at the beginning just in case. Seems to be working fine for now. Performing about the same as when I first got the original Nokia device. And also seems to be more stable. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Thank you, justintyme2.  But there is no way to block firmware upgrade? it is pushed and automatic?

my software version: 1.2101.00.1609

hardware version: 3TG00739AABB

I have also been running a fan under, which reduces temp by about 12 C.

Userlevel 3
Badge

The updates just happen and you'd never know it unless you were staring at the router display all the time. I would just notice the new firmware number when on the app. Don't know of any way to update it yourself other than going through tech support which isn't worth it lol! I also think a factory reset will prompt a new update if available and not sure if it's possible to go back to a previous version. I wish I knew if the old Nokia router that I got the replacement for went bad because of the firmware update/software issue or if it was something in the hardware caused by overheating etc

Userlevel 2
Badge

I watched it rebooting today at 1:03 pm...after 50 hours on line….so it is probably not a tower issue! rebooting happens with or without fan…

does t-mobile people read these here and respond or not?  It sucks to have to call them and then get the same story again and again (I promise your gateway wont reboot again, I have prioritized your account here….).

Userlevel 2
Badge

does t-mobile people read these here and respond or not?  It sucks to have to call them and then get the same story again and again (I promise your gateway wont reboot again, I have prioritized your account here….).

I don’t think they do. Calling does not help either (they don’t know/understand, will blame it on the tower, and it will just lead to a ticket that closes itself 72 hours later due to “outages in the area since this morning which explains the issue”). It appears, if you have social media, that’s the highest tier of support you can reach.

Userlevel 2
Badge

I don’t think they do. Calling does not help either (they don’t know/understand, will blame it on the tower, and it will just lead to a ticket that closes itself 72 hours later due to “outages in the area since this morning which explains the issue”). It appears, if you have social media, that’s the highest tier of support you can reach.

you mean blast them on facebook? :)

Userlevel 2
Badge

Yes, Thank you! I posted a comment on FB and right away someone started a chat! after 2 days with it still rebooting (twice today). they decided to ship me another unit yesterday and I should receive it today!

I hope the 2nd unit will work better.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11
  1. Very few T-Mobile reps read this
  2. Blasting on social media doesn’t do much (i.e. shadow ban)

If you _really_ need escalation - send an email to the CEO mike.sievert@t-mobile.com and their executive office may call within a day.  Don’t expect resolution, however.

I have the same gateway, 3TG00739AABB, but my firmware is at 1.2103.00.0338. Try updating.

Userlevel 2
Badge

I have the same gateway, 3TG00739AABB, but my firmware is at 1.2103.00.0338. Try updating.

it is supposed to update itself during a rebooting? I had a 2nd unit sent to me and tested, and within 24 hours it got stuck and today they said they are sending another (3rd unit). this second unit was refurbished but also the same version of firmware as my first one. rebooted 4 times still did not update to your version.

Userlevel 2
Badge

it is supposed to update itself during a rebooting? I had a 2nd unit sent to me and tested, and within 24 hours it got stuck and today they said they are sending another (3rd unit). this second unit was refurbished but also the same version of firmware as my first one. rebooted 4 times still did not update to your version.

you  an ask them to update the firmware remotely. The concerning part is that they are replacing the hardware without exactly knowing what’s going on, which is the same as the outsourced customer support is doing. I wonder if they are the same group now vs higher tier (as it was suggested before). You should try and see if they can have you get in touch with someone with technical expertise, willing to diagnose the problem (no ticket, just have them transfer you to a technical support person).

also, it is uncanny they are not offering to send the new gateway yet.

Userlevel 2
Badge

I had to plug in the 1st unit, because this 2nd one died again.

I now see the first one has: 1.2103.00.0338

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

it is supposed to update itself during a rebooting?

Apparently you can force a firmware upgrade.

Userlevel 2
Badge

it is supposed to update itself during a rebooting?

Apparently you can force a firmware upgrade.

you need a file to do that. maybe support can provide with that

Userlevel 2
Badge

I had to plug in the 1st unit, because this 2nd one died again.

I now see the first one has: 1.2103.00.0338

that appears to be the newest one (see)

Userlevel 2
Badge

it is pretty amazing they should ship me a refurbished one as I told them I will be out of the country for 2 months soon and my wife needs it in working condition and wont know how to set it up…

the 3rd unit will be a new one.

Userlevel 2
Badge

I received the third unit and it is again another refurbished one!

what is with T-mobile?  and this unit died within 30 min (connected without internet) -- unless this is normal after I changed the wifi ssid and password? I think the 2nd one also did this.  I sent the 2nd one back today, but will test this one for 3 days.

might be forced to keep the first one (reboots once a day) but it at least works and not hung with “connected without internet”.

Userlevel 2
Badge

so this third unit also reboots itself about once a day, but so far all devices connect back to it ok. this is despite I changed the power setting to only 50% and turned all SSID off except for 3 (2 for 5 GHz and 1 for 2.4 GHz).

Tmobile FB tech support says they could not “see” what causes the reboot even though I was at the computer once when it happened and I told them right away.

I’m on my 3rd gateway since October. Every one of them randomly reboots itself. I have 2 inline usb fans under the unit to help keep it cool. But it still randomly reboots. 

T-Mobile tech support thinks I’m crazy since this is my 3rd unit and all of them have randomly rebooted. Sometimes up to 20 times per day. I’m glad I don’t work at home anymore. Otherwise it would be impossible.