Question

is port forwarding enabled?

Badge

It seems to me that the T-Mobile gateway (I have the 5G black square box model KVD21) does not allow for any kind of dhcp modifications but most importantly does not allow for Port forwarding.

I have several ports from the outside world that I need to forward to one of my internal PCs. It does not seem like the gateway automatically forwards these ports on to my local router (using ethernet WAN to connect to my router).

To me this is a massive oversight in T-Mobile's home internet rollout. Advanced users need the flexibility to set up their home network however they need to. At the very least I would have hoped that the gateway could just forward on all the traffic to my router and at my router handle it.

If T-Mobile doesn't come out with a solution soon, then I am thinking it's a deal breaker and I have to cancel their service and go back to cable :(

13 replies

Take it back, keep your cable modem.  Im stuck paying the $30 extra for unlimited with Xfinity, but at least I can port forward, VPN, Etc.   There is not a single setting on this thing that can be changed except the name of the SSID.  Its a Joke.   Speed is good, so this would be good for grandma, but its not a serious replacement for a cable modem.  I really hope there is away I can convey this when I return mine tomorrow. 

No but i opened ports for gaming with a router

I use a NetGear nighthawk

Badge

I had to send my hotspot back because it lacked port forwarding for my cameras.  It’s a shame because the unit was very fast at 137 Mb/sec.  So,  as an experiment, I displayed the camera images on a Windows PC that was running ‘Anydesk’. The Windows PC was connected to the internet via a T-mobile cellphone hotspot.   On a different cellphone, using the cell phone’s mobile internet feature, I connected to the Windows PC using the Anydesk app in the cell phone.  And, I could see the cameras. (not exactly port forwarding, I know). I rejected this setup because it was a kluge. WE NEED PORT FORWARDING!! 

Badge

I don't think you can open ports on your Netgear router while the T-Mobile gateway doesn't even for the ports out to the router. What I am saying is if you have a router behind your T-Mobile gateway, it doesn't mean anything if your router is opening ports. Your router never received the ports to begin with because of how the T-Mobile gateway works.

I plugged in the router, put in the ports like PlayStation recommended and it started working, the port error went away and it doesn’t say strict anymore but it’s secure

I don't think you can open ports on your Netgear router while the T-Mobile gateway doesn't even for the ports out to the router. What I am saying is if you have a router behind your T-Mobile gateway, it doesn't mean anything if your router is opening ports. Your router never received the ports to begin with because of how the T-Mobile gateway works.

I plugged in the router, put in the ports like PlayStation recommended and it started working, the port error went away and it doesn’t say strict anymore but it’s secure. Call it what you want but it let me add the ports… I think the modem itself just wasn’t built with the options but the router works and allows my ps4 to work when it didn’t without it. I’m not looking for correction or debates, I’m saying just try a router and customize it, it’s working for me. Have a great day 

Badge

I plugged in the router, put in the ports like PlayStation recommended and it started working, the port error went away and it doesn’t say strict anymore but it’s secure. Call it what you want but it let me add the ports… I think the modem itself just wasn’t built with the options but the router works and allows my ps4 to work when it didn’t without it. I’m not looking for correction or debates, I’m saying just try a router and customize it, it’s working for me. Have a great day 

Thank you for your data point. I don’t mean to sound harsh in the previous text. Apologies if it sounded hostile in any way.

Interesting to hear your experience that the PS was blocked until the Netgear router was used. That is something I’ll keep in mind and thanks for sharing. 

Thanks and I apologize as well, but the way customer service explained it to me is that the modems they use was not built with those options and a router gives you access to those options and on the times it doesn’t, it kind of tricks the modem. 
he told me that everything I need to set up, do it with the router… I was skeptical as well but it looks like it opens the ps4 ports for playing and a couple of them it wouldn’t due to security.

Badge

Thanks and I apologize as well, but the way customer service explained it to me is that the modems they use was not built with those options and a router gives you access to those options and on the times it doesn’t, it kind of tricks the modem. 
he told me that everything I need to set up, do it with the router… I was skeptical as well but it looks like it opens the ps4 ports for playing and a couple of them it wouldn’t due to security.

Just to double check, your Tmobile Gateway is the 5G one that looks like a short black squareish tower? (slightly rounded square edges) model KVD21?

It’s black tower says Arcadyan  gateway on the bill

It seems to me that the T-Mobile gateway (I have the 5G black square box model KVD21) does not allow for any kind of dhcp modifications but most importantly does not allow for Port forwarding.

I have several ports from the outside world that I need to forward to one of my internal PCs. It does not seem like the gateway automatically forwards these ports on to my local router (using ethernet WAN to connect to my router).

To me this is a massive oversight in T-Mobile's home internet rollout. Advanced users need the flexibility to set up their home network however they need to. At the very least I would have hoped that the gateway could just forward on all the traffic to my router and at my router handle it.

If T-Mobile doesn't come out with a solution soon, then I am thinking it's a deal breaker and I have to cancel their service and go back to cable :(

I agree.  What were they thinking no port forwarding?   NO DHCP reservations either.

Until this modem provides a few things it is not worth the hassle.

1. Port forwarding to use a server behind the router.

2. Control of the private IP address

3. DHCP reservations

4. External ports for an external antenna connection.  Connecting an external antenna is tedious and difficult.

These simple items were left out for some reason.