Question

Loss of secondary signal on Nokia gateway

• 11 March 2021
  • 36 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

This apparently is a well documented issue but I can’t seem to get any real support on this problem. I’ve had the home internet for about 2.5 weeks now and it for the most part has been fantastic. Almost a half a gigabit download speeds with over 100mbps upload using B66/N41 primary/secondary with awesome signal strength because I have direct LOS of my local tower.

The primary signal has been bouncing around between B2/B66 for the past week for no reason but for the most part the connection has been very stable. Earlier today I had to unplug the device to move some furniture around, and when i reconnected it, the gateway will no longer lock a 5G signal on secondary (N41 from my local tower) despite the fact that it is still available on my phone.

Tried numerous reboots, and a factory reset and it is consistently stuck on B12 only on the primary connection, which has made my connection terrible in comparison to what I had before. I cannot for the life of me figure out what happened or what the problem is, other then possibly the LTE antenna is broken? But due to a power reset? That makes little sense to me.

Browsing the reddit page it looks like this is a well documented problem, but no one can make heads or tails of whether this is firmware related or hardware related. Has anyone dealt with this issue before?

36 replies

Badge

I am also having same issues. I’m starting to believe the root cause of all these problems is tower congestion. I’m also hearing that T-Mobile Home Internet has low priority on these towers.  If this is the case, sadly…there is nothing we can do about it.

I had the same issue with secondary signal not being connected and particularly the upload speed was horrible (<5 Mbps). Signal was also unstable. Called T-Mobile Technical Support twice. Received a replacement Nokia gateway. Minutes after initial use it dropped secondary signal, just like the first gateway. I put a fan underneath the gateway as recommended by others and now I have a secondary signal. Everything is stable and super fast download and upload speeds (>450 Mbps download and >70 Mbps upload at the gateway). It appears that when the gateway gets too hot it drops secondary signal to cool down. The existing cooling method inside the unit is not enough to keep it cool enough and stable. I hope Nokia fixes that soon.

I just ordered a  USB fan from Amazon that has the same width (12 cm) as the gateway. It seems to work like a charm for other people who had the same issue. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G05A2MU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2nd day with device and lost secondary. It was there the first day. Anyone have the actual reason? 

Well, after being very erratic and only having secondary signal for short periods of time for two months it’s now been up almost a week with 250-300 down and 40-50 up. Knock on wood...

I’ve had mine for a couple of months, and it was around 300 down and 30 up when I first got it online.  The secondary went out a couple of times, then came back, then went down again.  Adding the fan didn’t help, and getting the upgrade to .078 is the latest change; so I’m pinning my hopes on that as being the cure :)  The unit runs hot, so I’ve left the fan on it just for good practices.  I have Verizon phones, so can’t compare signals between wifi and phones.  When my contract is up at Verizon, I’m planning to try T-Mobile for phones then.

I just logged on to the gateway, and discovered that the software version ends in .078, which is higher than the version in the above video.  At the same time, I noticed that my secondary signal is now operating, and I’m again getting almost 300Mbps down and about 30Mbps up.  The fan has been on it the whole time.  Sounds like it may have been a software issue the whole time.  I’m using the gateway as a router, and it’s doing that job well, too.  Could be that they sent out a lot of these before all testing had been done.  In any case, if it acts up again, I’ll post here again.  I neglected to say in previous posts that I spent a good deal of time on the phone with tech support over this, and was promised that it would be escalated to the engineers.  The tech also told me that they’d be sending me a range extender of some sort, but I haven’t heard more about that and it’s been about a week.  Anyhow, I’m happy for now.

Just an FYI I’m on 078 firmware(just received mine a couple days ago and was shipped with 078) it was working fine on secondary day 1 then lost secondary day 2, 3 until I disabled wifi then worked again. Could be a fluke but it was literally within 5 minutes working on secondary again.. I’m within ½ mile of tower and get consistent 400-500 down on my T-Mobile iPhone 12 inside my house 

I just logged on to the gateway, and discovered that the software version ends in .078, which is higher than the version in the above video.  At the same time, I noticed that my secondary signal is now operating, and I’m again getting almost 300Mbps down and about 30Mbps up.  The fan has been on it the whole time.  Sounds like it may have been a software issue the whole time.  I’m using the gateway as a router, and it’s doing that job well, too.  Could be that they sent out a lot of these before all testing had been done.  In any case, if it acts up again, I’ll post here again.  I neglected to say in previous posts that I spent a good deal of time on the phone with tech support over this, and was promised that it would be escalated to the engineers.  The tech also told me that they’d be sending me a range extender of some sort, but I haven’t heard more about that and it’s been about a week.  Anyhow, I’m happy for now.

Since I read in this thread about the heat issue, I’ve had a very strong fan on the unit; but it has not made a difference, even after rebooting a few times.  What do you mean by “disable the wifi on TM unit?”

Basically you disable the wifi service on Tmobile home internet unit(sometimes referred to as the “trash can”. If doing this, you’d need a wifi router plugged into one of the ethernet ports on the device. if you want wifi in your home. This video explains how to disable wifi signal on your TMobile unit Video link  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QNSapXpgio. I hope this helps! The theory is that turning off wifi makes the unit create less heat.. 

Since I read in this thread about the heat issue, I’ve had a very strong fan on the unit; but it has not made a difference, even after rebooting a few times.  What do you mean by “disable the wifi on TM unit?”

I just got new TM home internet and had great speed 300 down 75 up, then after a day it dropped to 20 down 12 up.. noticed secondary didn’t have a signal anymore. Did some research online and found some were thinking it’s a heat issue and remedy by running a fan on the unit, then I saw a post about disabling wifi to reduce heat.. I am using Orbi, so I was able to disable the wifi on TM unit and within a few minutes secondary came back on and my speeds went back to 300 down 50 up. I’m convinced it’s a heat issue if you see your secondary failing

I’ll get the secondary for a day or two and then it disappears for a week or so. 

They are pushing the update slowly, be patient. Still have 4 bars on n71, definitely an update and an upgrade.

http://192.168.12.1/

1.2003.03.0178 too...howdid you know it was updated?

Mine was 0178 but this morning it went to 0168. The display showed software update at 5:00am this morning at 40%.Not sure if it was a downgrade or they update backwards. Still have 4 bars on n71 secondary. Usually I would get 3 bars in the morning and disappear 2 or 3 hours later.

mine is 

Software Version:

Secondary signal came back last night and still up this morning. 300 mps download. We’ll see if this lasts more than a day or two. 

This morning I received a software update 1.2003.03.0168. Secondary Signal now has full bars and so far hasn’t disappeared. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Can you let me know where I can pulled the sim card? Thanks.

Refer to the gateway user guide, beginning page 35 - “Replacing the SIM card” :

https://www.t-mobile.com/support/public-files/attachments/T-Mobile%20High-Speed%20Internet%20Gateway%20End%20User%20Guide.pdf

Same problem. Try to cool down the tower and still no secondary signal.

Might try the following suggestion with the SIM:

I also tried rebooting my cylinder tmobile router to get the secondary signal but it didn't work so I pulled the sim card out of its slot and put it back in then rebooted the router and it worked. Both Primary and Secondary signal came on.

Can you let me know where I can pulled the sim card? Thanks.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Might try the following suggestion with the SIM:

I also tried rebooting my cylinder tmobile router to get the secondary signal but it didn't work so I pulled the sim card out of its slot and put it back in then rebooted the router and it worked. Both Primary and Secondary signal came on.

I’m having the same problem.  Does their tech support ever read these posts?

Another day with only 4G connectivity - 16 mps down, 8 up. :(

Restarting or powering down the unit makes no difference. Very disappointing.

... After hearing many people say that it connects for a while and then drops, won’t come back after reboot etc...  Decided last night to try and stick a fan on the top of the unit to cool it off…  Within 5 minutes my secondary connection was back up on n71.  I’m not saying the fan fixed it…  But, worth a try.  ;) 

Hi-- looks like about a month since you posted that-- do you have a better idea of whether the fan helps now? I am trying it. Seems to help a small bit. 

Thx