My devices on Home Internet network listed as "Unknown"

  • 4 April 2021
  • 3 replies


We recently moved to Home Internet and several of our devices have problems with upload speeds (if at all). Turns out those devices are listed in the app’s Devices section as “Uknown_” followed by their MAC addresses. Other devices, experiencing no problems, are listed by their names. 

The devices experiencing this problem are two computers and one Samsung smartphone, whereas a Google Pixel smartphone does not have this problem. Two different Surface devices are unknown, but a very old Macbook pro is known. I’ve tried deregistering, reconnecting, restarting, but there’s no change. 

Did anybody experience similar problems? 

Strangely, if I text network speed on either of the Surface devices the app (the one recommended by TMO) the upspeed times out or is “not available." The app gives an error. But if I'm on a VPN, it works...


3 replies

Userlevel 1

I’ve run into the same problem. Everything but my Deco router shows up as “Unknown”. On my Deco, there is also a device list, but it lets me edit the device name to something easily recognized like “iPad”.

I’ve seen the same naming issue, but the devices seem to operate normally. Several devices, including my iPhone and MacBookPro show as “Unknown” + MAC address, others show as “Unnamed Device” + last 4 digits of the MAC address. My ISense/Roku TVs display correctly, and interestingly, some older devices also do - even an old Blackberry Playbook!

I made one configuration change to the router to accommodate a 2.4GHz wifi adapter on an older Toshiba Laptop.  Previously, a network scan on this laptop would display “Unknown Network”, the change causes the SSID to be correctly displayed and thus able to connect.

On the browser app at: Network/Wi-fi Networks/2.4GHz/General Settings/Transmission Mode, change  “Auto” to “n/g”.

I don’t know what impact, if any, this change has made to the overall wifi. I kept all SSID’s the same, per the default settings.

I would like to see the device list displayed on the browser app, rather than only on the iPhone/Android apps. The apps are very basic, I’d much prefer management apps similar to NetGear.


I’m currently having similar issues. Seems to happen only with my samsung devices. I’m connected to wifi, but some apps work on wifi and some don’t. I can browse the web but can’t stream anything. When I do a speed test, it’s plenty of speed...but I can’t stream from youtube for example. All my other devices work fine, just my samsung phone and tablet. Not sure what to do about it...but I’ve noticed it started after samsung updates.