Question

myq garage door opener wont connect on 2.4ghz band

Badge

new to t mobile home internet ….unable to connect myq garage door opener despite spitting to 2.4ghz band chamberlain it recommends changing setting of modem….any advice?

29 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

What sort of messaging are you getting when you attempt to make the connection?

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Do you have WPA, WPA2, WPA3 allowed for security on the 2.4 GHz band? I don’t know what the Chamberlain demands for WPA keys.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Several months ago I put in the latest Chamberlin model.  I’ll save you lots of aggravation.  You will never get your “Q” to link with the T-Mobile device.  The only way is to get yourself a Router like the Dynalink.  I had already purchased a router for Xfinity.

https://www.amazon.com/Dynalink-DL-WRX36-8-Stream-Wireless-3-6Gbps/dp/B096K9SVCT/ref=sr_1_3?crid=5S8V69U83Y8R&keywords=dynalink&qid=1648574680&sprefix=dynalink%2Caps%2C162&sr=8-3

Plug your router into the back of the T-Mobile device.  I named my new router a different name and password.  After this I went through the process and looked for my new name and everything connected.  It has worked perfectly without any issue.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

myQ Wi-Fi products only support 2.4 GHz band Wi-Fi and will not connect to 5 GHz band Wi-Fi.

From what I can see they do not recommend mixed mode authentication.

While myQ products support other security protocols (like WEP and WPA), security protocol WPA2 is recommended. Note: WPA2 Enterprise and WPA3 Enterprise settings are not compatible with myQ products. WPA3 Personal will work if the myQ device has been updated to the latest firmware.

myQ recommends that the router's Wi-Fi channel (1 - 11) be set to a single channel and not set to auto channel. I am pretty sure the T-Mobile will default to channel 1 on the 2.4 GHz channel

Most likely problem: (T-Mobile support would have to confirm if this is open or not.)

Verify inbound and outbound TCP port 8883 is open. Verify the port is not being blocked by your router or a firewall product. Not having this port open will cause the myQ Wi-Fi product to not connect to the server.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Chamberlain Recommended Settings:

https://support.chamberlaingroup.com/s/article/Recommended-router-settings-for-the-MyQ-Wi-Fi-products-1484145723404

You have probably already been told about these.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Well, the Dynalink unit appears to be a pretty solid solution. It comes down to if it is worth the extra cost for the router to have the garage door connected to the Chamberlain servers. 

Badge

used router and it works

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

It is a simple problem.  My Q does not see a modem/router, My-Q see’s a T-Mobile telephone number, thus it see’s a cell phone.  It will never connect to matter what some one tells you.

Lowes was coming back to tear out their install, I went through 3 Techs on the phone before the ?  are you using a T-Mobile device.

It’s weird.  Mine worked fine until just a couple of weeks ago.

get yourself a Router like the Dynalink. 

Mine came today---WIN!  Actually improving my coverage throughtout the house.

Several months ago I put in the latest Chamberlin model.  I’ll save you lots of aggravation.  You will never get your “Q” to link with the T-Mobile device.  The only way is to get yourself a Router like the Dynalink.  I had already purchased a router for Xfinity.

https://www.amazon.com/Dynalink-DL-WRX36-8-Stream-Wireless-3-6Gbps/dp/B096K9SVCT/ref=sr_1_3?crid=5S8V69U83Y8R&keywords=dynalink&qid=1648574680&sprefix=dynalink%2Caps%2C162&sr=8-3

Plug your router into the back of the T-Mobile device.  I named my new router a different name and password.  After this I went through the process and looked for my new name and everything connected.  It has worked perfectly without any issue.

Thank you!!  I have several things I can’t connect because they can’t find the 2.4ghz channel.  I just ordered the router, and I hope it fixes the problem.  Hopefully setup is fairly easy 🤞🏻.

Is anyone aware of a less expensive router that will get the job done?

We just connected up to an old router we had from years ago, and it works!!!  Thank you to “BlueSurf”.  Hooray.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

I love to see all the engagement here and all the suggestions for routers that are working. There is a way to separate the frequencies to help connect different types of devices that require one frequency or the other. The steps can be found on our support site, but here are the links.

After many hours of frustration I got alarm.com working with my garage again on Tmobile internet. I took others advice and purchased a TP-link extender and set it up to put out a 2.4ghz extension. I also purchased a Chamberlain smart hub. I paired the smarthub to the 2.4ghz extender and went through the MyQ app setup...which was a mistake as you can only register the gateway with Myq or Alarm.com…..not both. After unregistering from MyQ app I was able to register with Alarm.com. Then came the hard part. I spent hours trying to add the garage device to Alarm.com. My garage door opener was not a MyQ opener but had a wireless MyQ pad which operated it. I kept trying to put that pad in learn mode and alarm.com never saw it. After hours of trying I noticed the Non-MyQ garage opener option and selected it. Everything connected perfectly when I used that option. Thanks to all that helped me get this working!

I too was frustrated that I couldn't connect my “MyQ” Liftmaster garage doors. In addition I was trying to figure out how to connect my Apple Time capsule to back up my desktop computer. After reading through the many comments it was suggested to connect a WiFi router to the T-Mobile internet router using an ethernet cable. I connected my Apple Time Capsule (which is also a router) and both of my problems were solved. My computer will now back up to the time capsule and I was able to reconnect my “MyQ” openers. I feel like I just won the lottery!

Once you connect to another router, can you then disconnect it and the TMobile will work?

Quick and very easy fix for me was a WiFi Extender. Dedicated it to my garage and configured it to use 2.4 only on initial set-up. Tried everything to get it to connect directly to my router and failed. Extender is plugged in out in the garage so I don’t have to look at it in the house. Finally resolved!!

Thanks for the information in this thread.  I spent literally hours on phone support and trying different things to get my Chamberlain Garage door to connect to my Wifi.  I finally stumbled upon this thread, bought the TP-Link AC750 on Amazon for $25 and within minutes had my connection back via the extender. It would be nice if the support team at Chamberlain/Liftmaster had this in their notes when troubleshooting with a customer on the phone.  Thanks All!

After a month of fighting this I was ready to ditch T-Mobile home internet.  Good news is adding the 2.4 ghz network to my T-Mobile gateway and installing the TP-Link 750 RE205 range extender things are working perfectly.  Sure wish that both T-Mobile support and MyQ support would have given me the solution right away instead of all the run around.  Thanks to all who posted to help out!

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Thanks for the info on this thread…. I have this problem with my Chamberlain garage door openers.  Also, I have only been able to connect 2 of 4 of my Samsung “smart” appliances...so I wonder if this will also fix the connection problems with the other 2.

Note, the home internet model type 5688W will support the myQ garage door opener.

The model type KVD21 will not. 

Recommendation: Ask T-Mobile to swap them out.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Note, the home internet model type 5688W will support the myQ garage door opener.

The model type KVD21 will not. 

Recommendation: Ask T-Mobile to swap them out.

Interesting...I already do have the KVD21.

new to t mobile home internet ….unable to connect myq garage door opener despite spitting to 2.4ghz band chamberlain it recommends changing setting of modem….any advice?

I got my Chamberlin to work. Logged into the T mobile router and changed the 2.4ghz Encryption mode from WPA/WPA2 to just WPA2. Connected right away.  

I have The model type KVD21 

just got it this week an set it up since the other model had trouble keeping a connection. They said there was a recall, and they swapped it out to the newer model. Which is the  KVD21   Now I can’t get the myQ to connect  I have tried changing the wpa/wpa2 to just wpa2.  I have tried  changing it to just 2.4 ghz also an no luck ether way.  Have anyone got the MyQ. to work with the new model t-Mobil  kvd21 home Internet tower

please help