NAT/forwarding issues while gaming/streaming

• Anonymous
  • 0 replies

Hey guys, I'm new here... I just got my gateway in yesterday... I must say, I'm highly disappointed and I only wish I researched this further before I ordered it...I've already done multiple searches on this topic, so I'm not gonna ask the question I've been wanting to ask which was: "Why isn't my connection open NAT?", or "Why can't I port forward?". I've pretty much answered all of those questions myself by simply searching. I have taken it upon myself to call T-mobile's tech support anyways in the event that somehow a miracle is sent my way....

Fortunately for me, a very kind gentleman by the name of Alex, employee number 786457, assured me that they will be fixing the problem within a 48 hour period. I was told there will be some Beta software sent to my unit "possibly". And yes, that was the word used... Not sure how far I can believe that, seeing as how a lot of you are having issues. But anyway, this is my journey. I will post some updates here n there to let y'all know the outcome. Worst case scenario this causes me to vacate the community & the service entirely. Because this is probably one of the largest handicaps any network can have, it's almost like having parental control without it actually being implemented. Stay tuned folks, I'll let you know what happens. 

Hopefully this "beta" program isn't bullcucky.

Anonymous 1 year ago

Just letting everyone who reads this know that my issue is resolved. A firmware update recently released (this last weekend) has fixed this problem. If you're running into this same issue (can't game or stream) just call customer support, I'd request tech support. I spoke directly to a software engineer after speaking to a manager about my issue.

I don't have the ability to port forward manually just yet, however, while gaming most of my problems have been solved. They have opened up certain ports to allow streaming content and open communication on services like Xbox live, etc. My NAT is also changed from strict levels to moderate levels, with no drawbacks on hosting.  I can enjoy this as if it was regular cable internet.

I'm glad I didn't have to toss this service.

View original

30 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Did you receive the black cube gateway which is the Arcadyan one? It has been a rumor that a major firmware update is on the way so you could very well receive an early beta version. Please keep us up to date on this.

Did you receive the black cube gateway which is the Arcadyan one? It has been a rumor that a major firmware update is on the way so you could very well receive an early beta version. Please keep us up to date on this.

Yes, I have the model KVD21.

Just letting everyone who reads this know that my issue is resolved. A firmware update recently released (this last weekend) has fixed this problem. If you're running into this same issue (can't game or stream) just call customer support, I'd request tech support. I spoke directly to a software engineer after speaking to a manager about my issue.

I don't have the ability to port forward manually just yet, however, while gaming most of my problems have been solved. They have opened up certain ports to allow streaming content and open communication on services like Xbox live, etc. My NAT is also changed from strict levels to moderate levels, with no drawbacks on hosting.  I can enjoy this as if it was regular cable internet.

I'm glad I didn't have to toss this service.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

But... are those ports truly opening for full peer-to-peer traffic?  As in, can unsolicited inbound traffic get through?

That is the true root of the problem... not just whether UPnP or manual port forwarding can be setup locally on the router.  There needs to be the ability to have unsolicited inbound traffic from the edge of their network all the way to and through your modem.

As in, if you were to use port probing tools at the likes of speedguide.net or grc.com's shields up! tests and verify supposedly open ports are actually open to your forward facing IPv4 address.

To date, their network topology above the modems has been breaking such peering traffic, regardless of whether our local routers appeared to be opening ports locally.  Sure, consoles and the like may report less restrictive NAT and such... but when the truly unsolicited peering traffic needs to come in, things still failed to work properly.

But... are those ports truly opening for full peer-to-peer traffic?  As in, can unsolicited inbound traffic get through?

That is the true root of the problem... not just whether UPnP or manual port forwarding can be setup locally on the router.  There needs to be the ability to have unsolicited inbound traffic from the edge of their network all the way to and through your modem.

As in, if you were to use port probing tools at the likes of speedguide.net or grc.com's shields up! tests and verify supposedly open ports are actually open to your forward facing IPv4 address.

To date, their network topology above the modems has been breaking such peering traffic, regardless of whether our local routers appeared to be opening ports locally.  Sure, consoles and the like may report less restrictive NAT and such... but when the truly unsolicited peering traffic needs to come in, things still failed to work properly.

They fixed MY problem, which was inability to game on certain p2p games, or stream. I gave specific information to technical support, and all of my problems disappeared. 

I gave my experience. Good luck with yours.

Thank you for you helpful post. My sister and I were having this same problem and only narrowed down our problem to NAT2 worked but not NAT3. 

Hi All…. I just opened the box yesterday. I thought something might have been missing as all there was in the box was the gateway and a power chord. A little confused I guess but I plugged it in and within ten minutes It was up and running! I’m totally impressed. I put it to a test by streaming on the tv, while streaming on my laptop, and my phone and my wife’s laptop. Not one slowdown or problem! The best part? I turned in the spectrum equipment!

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

T-Mobile has been ‘fixing’ the issue in 48 hours for at the past year. Most likely just to get people off the phone. Not sure what they did to fix your issue but if they can open ports then why isn’t an option to do it manually and why isn’t it being done on the Nokia.  

My guess is they allowed a static route to Xbox servers which would bounce back to your Xbox.

Do you have the port number for your XBox? Maybe I can try that as an open port on my server.

Saw some replies here from an email I got. Figured I'd chime in again, yeah so since my last update my model has been working flawlessly. And I'm always sitting at 5 bars ~200-300 Mbps🔽 & 30-50 Mbps🔼. I'm sorry to hear all of you have issues but since my phone call to them it seems to have fixed everything. I literally just called them, and boom problem fixed. You cannot enter or do any of this manually. They are solely in charge of your unit and can do whatever you need done remotely. Give it a whirl y'all. I have zero issues with the stuff I do now, which I am a gamer & streamer. Zero disruption. Before, I was having issues with video game matchmaking, voice communication, and streaming. I am highly impressed now with it working and I'm kinda sad to see how I started this post with a bad vibe. 

Again, good luck to whoever is having issues. My problem is solved.

Saw some replies here from an email I got. Figured I'd chime in again, yeah so since my last update my model has been working flawlessly. And I'm always sitting at 5 bars ~200-300 Mbps🔽 & 30-50 Mbps🔼. I'm sorry to hear all of you have issues but since my phone call to them it seems to have fixed everything. I literally just called them, and boom problem fixed. You cannot enter or do any of this manually. They are solely in charge of your unit and can do whatever you need done remotely. Give it a whirl y'all. I have zero issues with the stuff I do now, which I am a gamer & streamer. Zero disruption. Before, I was having issues with video game matchmaking, voice communication, and streaming. I am highly impressed now with it working and I'm kinda sad to see how I started this post with a bad vibe. 

Hey, I have the exact same issue as you. I’ve called and talked to tech support multiple times including a manager. I’ve gotten them to this exact thread so they could see that you called and talked to someone who fixed the issue. They continuously read their policy on how they can’t change anything in their end. They said the software engineer you talked to was Xbox itself. I don’t believe that. Can you help me out by telling me exactly how you explained the problem to them? Or what solution you were told? Just want to play my games man.

Hey, I have the exact same issue as you. I’ve called and talked to tech support multiple times including a manager. I’ve gotten them to this exact thread so they could see that you called and talked to someone who fixed the issue. They continuously read their policy on how they can’t change anything in their end. They said the software engineer you talked to was Xbox itself. I don’t believe that. Can you help me out by telling me exactly how you explained the problem to them? Or what solution you were told? Just want to play my games man.

What issues are you having? 

And no, I wasn't talking to "Xbox". As you can see above, I talked to Alex, employee number 786457 from t mobile. He pushed my issue up the chain of whatever process they had.

They should have universally fixed literally everything with Xbox by now. Including party connection or gameplay. I say this because I told you in the beginning I had those issues, nd now they are non-existent. If you are having problems, spoke to the support folks to no avail, then it's most likely your location giving you the issues. I'm actually seeing a trend of people giving crappy reviews of service meanwhile in their reviews state they have low connection status or low range pickup. I will state, again, I sit at an excellent connection status with 5 bars, my speed is never below 200 down and never below 30 up. It ranges with time of day of course. 

I will say it one more time here:

I don't have any problems anymore, and I didn't do anything different but call support and my problem fixed itself overnight. I can stream, play any game I want, and have zero Xbox live party issues.If you are having problems, then the service is probably not meant for your location. There could also be the possibility that they were yanking my chain, and there never actually was anything they could have done, and my location was just experiencing issues with the tower I connect to. Which is a plausible situation…

I'm not going to speak on this matter anymore and this thread should be closed down.

After having this service for some time now, I'm absolutely loving it. One thing that you must understand though is this "internet" is basically just a giant phone hotspot. There is no static IPs. You're connecting to a phone tower. Not an ISP like comcast. This is cellular data here. Of course it's gonna be filtered. You may run into problems with this service because it's meant to perform the basic of things, not allow you to completely customize your service like you originally would with Comcast, etc. Those things have specific addresses and allow you to configure things more in depth. But that isn't how things work through a cell tower, you have no address. So take this entire lineup with a grain of salt. If you live in the middle of nowhere and don't have any other options for internet, it might be for you in the use of basic things. 

There are some things even t mobile can't do. What you should be doing is contacting the FCC with your complaints, because that's who federally regulates these towers...

Badge

I just spoke to someone a couple of days ago about my Xbox One’s NAT Type on strict. They pushed a firmware update through manually and when that didn’t fix the problem they told me to connect a router to the gateway… which I am trying to figure out now because I have a double NAT issue. I’m not sure what you did but more insight on your Xbox settings would be appreciated.

Hurmph! I have a PS5, provided T-Mobile with the information to open the ports (port forwarding) so I (we) could be NAT 0 ( zero) or NAT1 and was told “we can’t do that”. 

Now, I love the speed, and the price. 

However if I’m stuck at NAT 3, then I will have to change services so I can play the multiplayer games I paid my hard earned money on just so I could play with my friends. 

Are you listening T-Mobile? Do you actually care about us, the people who are paying for unsatisfactory service?  

@Allergic Fungus Could you please tell us what firmware version is currently on your gateway so that we know what version we need to get the techs to give us? You can see the version in the TMHI app by going to the More tab at the bottom and then "Gateway information". Thanks so much!

My gateway’s firmware version is: 1.2201.00.0313. 

This is what I need to be rid of NAT Type 3: 

1 Access the Port Forwarding menu.

2 Add a new Port using the following details: 

TCP: 1935, 3478-3480
UDP: 3074, 3478-3479 

thanks 

p.s. this is the first piece of hardware granting me internet access that gives zero options to tweak my connectivity options. Even xfinitys hardware allows me to do port forwarding. 

T-Mobile has been ‘fixing’ the issue in 48 hours for at the past year. Most likely just to get people off the phone. Not sure what they did to fix your issue but if they can open ports then why isn’t an option to do it manually and why isn’t it being done on the Nokia.  

My guess is they allowed a static route to Xbox servers which would bounce back to your Xbox.

COULD NOT AGREE MORE. My anger grows every time I think of the weasel Tier ZERO tech support rep who sold me the same line of Chit. GOODBYE TMOBILE FOR THAT ALONE.  

For the love of God, watch this video and stop spamming me, PLEASE.

https://youtu.be/SgQAGbSn0Y8

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Probably getting "spammed" because very specific questions were not getting answered.

The true problem has always been tied to unsolicited inbound traffic properly getting through the perimeter network layers... even with the local router set to open/forward inbound packets, those packets were still getting filtered/blocked further up the chain.  Basically, it is making the consoles think you have a different NAT type than you actually have.  When it comes to truly unsolicited inbound traffic (not coming back in from a previous outbound communication), it was still getting blocked at a higher level. All of this was confirmed back on the Askey modems... the ones that gave us local control over both DMZ and port traversal.

Probably getting "spammed" because very specific questions were not getting answered.

The true problem has always been tied to unsolicited inbound traffic properly getting through the perimeter network layers... even with the local router set to open/forward inbound packets, those packets were still getting filtered/blocked further up the chain.  Basically, it is making the consoles think you have a different NAT type than you actually have.  When it comes to truly unsolicited inbound traffic (not coming back in from a previous outbound communication), it was still getting blocked at a higher level. All of this was confirmed back on the Askey modems... the ones that gave us local control over both DMZ and port traversal.

The above video literally just answered every question on this thread.

So your response is basically null and void.

On second thought, I'm glad this video is up now. So, anyone past this point in the discussion that is complaining has nobody to blame but themselves. You're basically a laughing stock.

Alright then, that's a wrap. Good game, and if you can't follow simple directions then you deserve zero port forwarding abilities.

💀

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Actually, it does not answer the specific questions being asked.

What goes in in that video is still a workaround.

It is not a native fix to the problem.

As in a firmware update that in and of itself solves the problem end to end.

A "specific question" was answered. And that's how to (paraphrasing here) work around the problem. If you honestly think that you will find a "fix" for a cellular data connection not giving you a static IPv4 connection... Then I don't know what to tell you. In my honest opinion, workarounds are the only absolute thing you've got right now. Go call the FCC and tell them how butthurt you are. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

You posted that tmobile fixed the problem for you, presumably by updates from their end.

Not that a reverse proxy approach solved it (as in third party tools).

You were asked for firmware details, port details, a means to confirm end to end unsolicited inbound port forwarding was actually working properly (as can be tested with the likes of Shieldsup or speedguide.net).

https://www.grc.com/shieldsup

https://www.speedguide.net/scan.php

THAT is likely why people kept pinging you.

I already had my extensive back and forth over the issues with both parties.  Realized they were not willing to move away from their XLAT464 anytime soon (which is stated by design specifically to break this functionality).  I ran the numbers and decided it wasn't worth the extra headaches and costs, even though there was a viable solution available through my personal router, and managed to set up a better deal with an ISP that does it properly.

The above video literally just answered every question on this thread.

So your response is basically null and void.

On second thought, I'm glad this video is up now. So, anyone past this point in the discussion that is complaining has nobody to blame but themselves. You're basically a laughing stock.

Alright then, that's a wrap. Good game, and if you can't follow simple directions then you deserve zero port forwarding abilities.

💀

Really? That may all well and good for you. But it doesn’t fit for everyone. Not everyone knows enough to do what the service the video points to wants you to do. Are you going to set everything up for everyone you say no longer have a problem because of the posted video link, but doesn’t know squat about how to do the work required? 

Plus, its NOT FREE.

Sure $5 a month is probably chump change to to you. But not to people who are on a fixed income. Are you willing to pay that for everyone that can’t afford it? 

T-Mobile is a ‘service’ company. That is, they provide a service, or a number of services. Their primary ‘service’ is as a cell phone provider. Now that they want to also provide internet service doesn’t change that category. 

The fact that T-Mobile’s “internet service” is via cell towers doesn’t change the fact that there are those of us who either can’t do what is required by the video’s “service”, don’t want to, or don’t want to pay extra for something that’s already being paid for. 

For example: Xfinity (Comcast) changes rates, speeds, and services every chance they can. So I asked myself why I was paying them for slower speeds for more money than I can afford. I made the ‘bill’ as low as I could by having my own modem and a separate router. Yet their ‘service’ still cost me more than I can afford. 

So I made the economic choice of changing to T-Mobile internet. I have faster speeds for less money, and my budget likes it as well. 

The problem is that I save every year to purchase games for my PlayStation that I can no longer play with friend's that I’ve made online over years of playing with them. All because their was no “disclosure” about Network Address Translation and the inability to do anything about changing it.