• 7 December 2022
  • 78 replies

Badge

Netflix no longer able to stream on Gateway internet

icon

Best answer by Blava_Highlander 8 December 2022, 21:48

View original

78 replies

I'm in a suburb of Dallas, TX.  My gateway is the Sagecom and the firmware version is SGJi10105-1.1.52.  I've had this gateway for 2-3 months and it shipped with this firmware version.  The Android Netflix app on my phone functions and I am able to access Netflix via browser on a Windows 11 PC.  Netflix menu pages load slowly on the browser but it does appear to stream okay once you get that far.  Other sites load without issue.  In a new and possibly unrelated twist, the gateway has lost internet several times in the last 12 hours, though connection to the cell site was still shown as excellent.  Most of this was between 10 PM and midnight last night.  The timing makes me wonder if this might have been related to maintenance, though that sort of activity should normally occur between midnight and 4 AM.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

My experience with T-Mobile home internet since January 2021 has been that they do what they want when they want and don’t provide any advance notification when maintenance or upgrades are done to the tower/cell system. It just happens when it happens. I would agree maintenance should take place during the hours of a day when it is least likely to impact customers but I don’t see evidence of that. 

Today and tomorrow it may be that there could be some impact to radio systems due to the solar storm that is expected to arrive. I don't know if the initial projections regarding that were exaggerated or what might be the reality of all that. We will see.

Disruptions to service with the cellular internet delivery seem to be so hard to pin down. There could be regional impacts for any number of reasons. It is hard to know if the behaviors are due to the cellular transmission or the gateway or the third party delivery practices or some unforeseen external influence. I have just learned to live with the things that are outside my control and not let them rule.

When you see that condition where the gateway shows it has good connectivity but clients report no internet go to one client and manually set the DNS to say google.com or cloud flare or quad9 and see if it changes the equation. I have seen times when the DNS resolution from the standard use of the gateway address fails but pointing to one of the public DNS servers works. It might surprise you and work. T-Mobile does not discourage the practice and it is necessary at times.

When this occurs, even the gateway has a message stating that it has no Internet and that a restart should be performed.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

OK well that might be a behavior the Sagemcon gateway does but I have not seen as I have the Nokia gateway. Maybe it is due to a firmware change with the Sagemcon gateway and the Arcadyan gateway. The Nokia firmware has not updated for quite some time but it seems to be pretty stable. Well, at least the one I have is. 

Since so much internet activity is reliant upon DNS resolution having that functioning is critical. Maybe there is a known DNS resolution issue they are aware of and that is a workaround for flushing the gateway cache and making it properly resolve the DNS. Sorry, I worked in the industry and it smells like a hack patch until the code is reworked. If the coding is going to take significant effort and time it is a common practice to provide a temporary fix. Fry the big fish first.

So far as DNS goes, I've already tried both Google and Cloudflare and the results are the same.  At the moment, I'm keeping everything on Cloudflare but it's easy to change.

Do you think it would help to switch to a different gateway device? 

If I had more than one, I'd do it just for giggles but I would not expect any different results.  Folks with different gateway types are having the same issue.

oh ok. I guess I’d have to wait until they fix this. ( On other note: I’m still pissed about this, I called customer service on the night I set up my gateway and had issue with Netflix. One of the rep. told me I have to add a phone line to be able to stream Netflix. It doesn’t make sense to me so I asked to transfer to a different person but she won’t let me, She insist on adding a phone line to resolve the problem. we go back and forth for half an hour. At the end, I told her I would think about it, and call back if I want to add another line. Some of the rep. are trash. But now knowing some people have the same issue as me somehow put me at ease. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/tmobileisp/comments/zf0zla/netflix_still_not_working/

There seems to be some more detailed information on this reddit, if you wish to review it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I tested yesterday on multiple devices and on my MacBook Pro. I have had my DNS set to quad9 and Netflix was working as it should. Today it still seems to load properly and work fine. I am running a Nokia gateway so maybe it also has some influence. Maybe they are getting the issues under control. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I was just out reading through the Reddit thread. Sounds like it stirred up a whole bunch of stink. The thread only states they are working on it but of course the real cause of the problem will never be known outside T-Mobile and Netflix. I suppose it will be all sorted out in time. Until next time. Enjoy the shows!

I too am no longer able to stream Netflix, although all other streaming services (Amazon Prime, Hulu, YouTube, Pandora) work fine as usual.

I have the cylindrical Nokia gateway and am watching on a Sharp 50” smart Tv LC50-LBU591U. I’ve had T-Mobile Home Internet since last Spring, and it’s worked fine since then, until this issue which began a few days ago.

I’ve got a number of other devices, including Google Nest Hub, Nest Audio speakers, Nest Camera with Floodlight, and several Kasa smart switches and plugs. The most recent Kasa smart plugs would not connect to the T-Mobile dual band (2.4 and 5 Ghz) network, so I created another single band 2.4 Ghz network channel just for those plugs, but kept everything else connected to my original dual-band network, since it seemed to be working fine. 

Sometime since then I lost Netflix, but everything else still works. Not sure if adding the single-band channel has anything to do with the problem, since the TV is still connected to the original dual-band channel, and still works on all the other streaming services.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I also have the Nokia gateway and it is on firmware 1.2201.00.0324 which it has been on for some time now. I have been streaming Netflix this evening on a iPad Pro and I had it up on my MacBook Pro earlier. No problems streaming Netflix here in east TN. Since there was work on either the T-Mobile network or Netflix it might be necessary to clear the cache on the Netflix app and try it again. I did not see the disruption to Netflix here during the period where others did. I don’t know what is different to account for that but it has continued to work on all the devices I checked here. My gateway has been up  without a reboot for 38 days and 9 hours and change. I run two parallel SSIDs and roughly 24 devices on the network so it does get exercise but just keeps on chugging along. 

Howdy neighbor @iTinkeralot,  I’m in E TN as well and I have been having the same issues. It started 3 days ago with my Roku devices and my Samsung TV. I’m using the Sagemcon gateway with the latest firmware like the others. I have gotten nowhere with Netflix or T-Mobile on a resolve for this. The biggest part that sucks, is I just convinced the wife to kick Spectrum to the curb and go with this. They dont fix this, I maybe kicking T-Mobile to the curb after being with Sprint/Tmobile for over 20 yrs.

Another thing that’s interesting is that I cannot see this forum while I’m at home as well. I discovered that after I got to work and here I am seeing it. Starting to question some fishy stuff going on.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

That is curious. It may just be due to users with the apps on the smart TVs in part or just because that is what they tend to stream on. So far the problem does not seem to present itself here. I know my wife and daughter have been streaming downstairs either with the Fire Stick or with the Xbox to our TV which is not a “smart” TV. It may not be smart but it works. At any rate I have seen no issue streaming Netflix on my iPad Pro or my M1 MacBook Pro. I run the Netflix app on the iPad Pro but on my MacBook Pro I just open Safari and it pops right up. I just upgraded to the 14” M1 MacBook Pro via the black Friday sale at BestBuy. What a huge difference over my old 2014 MacBook Pro. 

So, it is curious and hard to say what causes that issue. I have had the Nokia gateway since January 2012 at the later part of the BETA period and it just continues to carry on. I am glad I don’t have the Arcadyan or Sagemcon as managing the gateway with the mobile app is a pain in the backside. The Nokia still allows the web GUI and it is by far a MUCH more friendly way to do it. More options with the Nokia gateway as well. I only run the T-Mobile gateway and have not added any mesh solution or extenders etc… The wireless on the Nokia gets the job done here over the upstairs in most places even from the basement window. There are a couple of near dead zones but not bad. Simpler and less expensive than going into all the extra when I don’t really need it.

I have the same issue for a few days now, I have TMHI,FireTV, Google TV and Apple devices all having the same issue.  I did some tests and noticed that my devices are doing a DNS lookup for occ-0-7094-90.1.nflxso.net which resolves to 208.54.15.202, 208.54.15.203, 208.54.15.204 and 208.54.15.205. The domain is owned by Netflix and the IPs 208.54.0.0/17 are owned by T-Mobile. I also did a packet capture on my firewall which is connected to the T-Mobile Home Gateway and I can see many connections attempts from my internal network to the T-Mobile IPs but noresponse from them. 

23:28:39.597816 IP 192.168.x.x.50974 > 208.54.15.202.443: Flags [S], seq 1696298149,win

23:28:40.604997 IP 192.168.x.x.50974 > 208.54.15.202.443: Flags [S], seq 1696298149,win

23:28:41.605026 IP 192.168.x.x.50974 > 208.54.15.202.443: Flags [S], seq 1696298149,win

23:28:42.606625 IP 192.168.x.x.50974 > 208.54.15.202.443: Flags [S], seq 1696298149,win 

If I run the same test using a different ISP, the T-Mobile IP 208.54.15.202 actually responds and completes a 3 way handshake connection.

23:28:07.301342 IP 192.168.x.x.50936 > 208.54.15.202.443: Flags [S], seq820598644,win

23:28:07.329634 IP 208.54.15.202.443 > 192.168.x.x.50936: Flags [S.], seq 2897770398,ack

23:28:07.331666 IP 192.168.x.x.50936 > 208.54.15.202.443: Flags [.], ack 1,win

23:28:07.350863 IP 192.168.x.x.50936 > 208.54.15.202.443: Flags [P.], seq 1:302,ack

So for some reason the T-Mobile IPs are dropping the Netflix stream requests that are coming from their TMHI gateways. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

The part I suspected yesterday and still do is the authentication with secure HTTP. When I see what you posted for, what I suspect to be working vs not working is the server responding on port 443. The failure takes place or seems to before the user can even get authenticated via the HTTPS connection to the Netflix server. Watch the front end of the session closely. I will have to run a capture later as I don’t have the time right now but I know it is working here so I can at least record the initial setup and know what to expect for the initial setup of the session with the server. Without hard data I am just speculating.

That is another factor I have had some suspicions about. Users that use additional routers vs those that do not. I have ONLY the Nokia gateway running. It works. Is the gateway hardware a factor OR additional router or mesh connected to the gateway part of the equation? I don’t know as there are not enough data points to draw additional conclusions or a theory that has some substance based upon data. It could still be in the T-Mobile IPv6 network vs at the edge.

I have this problem as well.   None of the images load in any of my devices.  Whether it is in an app or in a web browser.

I also see the requests timing out to what appears to be a tmobiled owned subdomain of a netflix owned primary domain:

Resolving occ-0-7099-116.1.nflxso.net (occ-0-7099-116.1.nflxso.net)... 208.54.15.187, 208.54.15.189

Connecting to occ-0-7099-116.1.nflxso.net (occ-0-7099-116.1.nflxso.net)|208.54.15.187|:443... failed: Operation timed out.

Connecting to occ-0-7099-116.1.nflxso.net (occ-0-7099-116.1.nflxso.net)|208.54.15.189|:443... failed: Operation timed out.

A occ-0-7099-116.1.nflxso.net 208.54.15.186

T-Mobile USA, Inc. (AS21928)

A occ-0-7099-116.1.nflxso.net 208.54.15.187

T-Mobile USA, Inc. (AS21928)

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

From that seeing the 443 time out tells me it appears to be excessive delay on the initial authentication setup. At least that is what I suspected. 

Here are all the requests that I see in order:

android.prod.cloud.netflix.com = Successful connection 

nrdp60-appboot.netflix.com = Successful connection

occ-0-7094-90.1.nflxso.net = Failed SYN packet, no response on T-Mobile IP

api-global.netflix.com = Successful connection

secure.netflix.com = Successful connection

occ-0-7094-90.1.nflxso.net = Failed SYN packet, no response on T-Mobile IP

ichnaea.netflix.com = Successful connection

Testing to occ-0-7094-90.1.nflxso.net from T-Mobile home gateway:

curl -v https://occ-0-7094-90.1.nflxso.net
* Trying 208.54.15.202:443...
* connect to 208.54.15.202 port 443 failed: Operation timed out

Testing to occ-0-7094-90.1.nflxso.net from Comcast IP:

curl -v https://occ-0-7094-90.1.nflxso.net
* Trying 208.54.15.203:443...
* Connected to occ-0-7094-90.1.nflxso.net (208.54.15.203) port 443 (#0)

I hope T-Mobile can resolve this ASAP as it has been many days with no progress

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

That specific information needs to get to the engineers so they can see for themselves. That makes it pretty obvious the HTTPS did not connect.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

They marked this community conversation with a best answer pointing to a conversation in a Reddit thread. There was no obvious answers there. It was discussion on the issue but did not explain why Netflix was not working. Looking at the actual traffic/packets and seeing is believing.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Thanks so much for taking the packet captures from both sources. I am not sure what gateways were used for those two or if it has any bearing on the problem but clearly the HTTPS session does not complete authentication. I could have taken captures here but mine seems to be working but have the Nokia gateway. We could be in different regions for all I know and that may have a bearing on the problem as well. If it is due to firmware on the gateways then it might take some time for them to push the update out. Who knows how long that will take to complete given you can’t go get it.

Agreed, nothing better than seeing packets. I have the Arcadyan KVD21 gateway Firmware 1.00.16 on the East Coast.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

I have the KDV21 but using an Asus mesh with DHCP (double NAT) and Cloudfare DNS. No issues with Netflix on Apple TV 4K, iPhones, iPads, and MacBooks. I also have a Android 10 DAP that works fine too.