New 5G Cylinder Router is ipv6 ONLY. NO ipv4

• 18 January 2021
  • 28 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

I have been having issues connecting streaming boxes and sporadic issues with connectivity to a lot of Websites on my PC when I use T-Mobile Home internet and the new gray cylindrical 5G router.  

I got a call back from Tech Support at T-Mobile and they explained that these new routers support ipv6 ONLY, they are locked in ipv6 ONLY mode and cannot be changed by the user at this time.  They are working on letting users choose ipv4 AND ipv6 protocols but cannot do that yet, perhaps soon they will.

That is the source of the flakyness and unreliability of T-Mobile Home internet in my case, using PC’s and some devices.  Mostly it works fine, but its just flaky and at times  you just will lose a connection in one tab of the browser while connections are fine in the same browser in a different tab.

Just thought people might want to know in case you are having similar issues.

28 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

What “streaming boxes” are you saying don't work?

Userlevel 2
Badge

No Samsung TV works reliably.  No Roku box works reliably.  Directv will not connect at all generally.  I haven’t tried Amazon or Google Chrome dongles, those might work.  An older Sony Blu-Ray player also would not work reliably

Devices will often SAY they are connected to the internet after setup but when you ACTUALLY stream you lose connection often depending on the service you are streaming.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Did you go into the gateway and change the 5GHz low and high bands to NOT use DFS channels?  This Nokia 5G gateway, the way it comes out of the box, prefers to use DFS channels and the ROKU’s do NOT support.  I stream pretty much all day on multiple Roku’s with zero issues.  Out of the box, no it won't work.

Userlevel 2
Badge

There is no option to NOT use DFS channels.  You can assign a specific channel, or you can choose auto.  If you choose a specific Channel then you are locked to it and it might have interference.

What options are you selecting to avoid DFS channels?  Maybe I will just try 2.4 ghz and see if that works.

Userlevel 3
Badge

It’s setup and configured as a Tri-band router and supports WiFi6 and mesh.  Take the time to set it up so it works for your networking needs.  Take it out of auto channel selection and use the channels that work for you.  IF you use it in tri-band mode, the Roku’s, your phones and most devices including WiFi6 capability will handshake and switch between the 3 bands seamlessly.  The gateway will also load level between the 5GHz low band and the 5GHz high band automatically.

The tri-band works on having SSID1, SSID5 and SSID9 all configured to the same SSID name and encryption mode.  SSID1 is the 2.4GHz SSID5 is 5GHz low band and SSID9 is 5GHz high band.  Use WPA2/WPA3 and AES for all 3.

If you don't want to use it this way then pick unique SSID names for each band and connect your devices uniquely to that SSID so they don't automatically switch and potentially drop connections and hang. None of my connected devices have issues with the auto switching but yours might.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Using the Roku boxes on the 2.4 Ghz band fixes their issues, but it doesn’t work for most other devices such as the Samsung TVs or the Directv box.  

I changed the name of SSID1 so I can specifically connect to the 2.4ghz band when I want to.

SO I guess I can change SSID5 and 9 so they are using specific channels, then it can switch between those 2 as needed at 5GHZ.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Should probably note that their service itself is forcing things over their IPv6 network... traffic is forced through a 464 tunnel.  Can't properly run v6 locally either because of it.  Even on the old boxes--try to run a standard tracert fro.a v4 LAN and you get no results after the local hop(s) until you exit the v6 tunnel at the other end.

Haven't gotten the Nokia yet.  Still on the older white box, and if you look  more closely at the details of the connection it is all laid out pretty clearly what is going on--even notes the 464 tunnel in use.

This is essentially generating CGNAT/DoubleNAT scenarios that is screwing a LOT of things up, on top of some oddities with the devices wifi.  Some of us have resorted to turning off their wifi and using sta dalone routers because if it... but that compounds the NAT issues.

They NEED to come up with a solution in line with the more typical setup--the option to run a pass-through modem (or bridging the combo unit) and running a separate router.

Userlevel 2
Badge

They should have a pass through modem option.  You use the router of your choice and the modem just gives the internet to the router you choose.  I bet that would fix most of these issues.

For now restricting the channel use on the WiFi fixes problems with the Roku box, but as far as I can tell not much else.  Directv boxes and samsung tvs can now get through the setup more often, but they still don’t really work reliably with a lot of streaming services once setup.

As for PC’s they still work the same.  They are good for most websites most of the time, but then all of a sudden you get a process that fail and says you are no longer connected to the internet, when other tabs in the  browser or other apps are running happily on the internet right alongside it.  So for now this home internet is just not ready for general public use.

It’s very very fast with very low latency though, compared to other options in my area.

Userlevel 3
Badge

They should have a pass through modem option.  You use the router of your choice and the modem just gives the internet to the router you choose.  I bet that would fix most of these issues.

For now restricting the channel use on the WiFi fixes problems with the Roku box, but as far as I can tell not much else.  Directv boxes and samsung tvs can now get through the setup more often, but they still don’t really work reliably with a lot of streaming services once setup.

As for PC’s they still work the same.  They are good for most websites most of the time, but then all of a sudden you get a process that fail and says you are no longer connected to the internet, when other tabs in the  browser or other apps are running happily on the internet right alongside it.  So for now this home internet is just not ready for general public use.

It’s very very fast with very low latency though, compared to other options in my area.

You’re welcome on the ROKU fix / solution.  

As far as your other connectivity issues, you still have other issues that need fixing but blaming the gateway without any specifics of what the real issues are is unfounded.

Userlevel 2
Badge

I am telling the community what t-mobile tech support told me.  So is it unfounded?

Userlevel 3
Badge

Yes.

Did they tell you how to fix the ROKU connectivity?

How about you provide a list of websites that you claim are “flaky” and that you “lose connection to” that apparently the Nokia gateway is not allowing you to access?  I’ll test them out for you.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Steam often cannot log you in.  When you do play games it will randomly tell you that you have lost your internet connection.

you can upload stills to Facebook but most of the time video uploads fail.  Going to a Facebook page you manage is hit or miss it often hangs.

the NOAA weather website will often give you a you are not connected to the internet page when you try and check weather in a new zip code.  Sometimes it’s quickly clears up, sometimes you have to reload the webpage then try again.

many many other little hang ups with failed connections or hang ups.  While one app or tab cannot get access to the internet, another tab or app is working fine on the same pc.

streaming apps from Samsung TVs are unreliable with frequent lockup’s.  Streaming content with a directv box is unreliable with frequent lockup’s where the data transfer just stops.

none of these problems exist with the same devices when you use Verizon Home Internet.  No pc has any of these problems when you use Verizon Home Internet.  T-Mobile is much faster than Verizon, 130 Mbps vs 50.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Tested using NOAA, changed a dozen zip codes, checked forecasts and loaded radar in all with zero issues.  You keep stating that multiple devices and services say “lost connection to the internet”.  THIS is your real issue, not IPV4/IPV6.  You need to determine why the Nokia gateway is doing one of two things:

1.  It’s losing its connection to the cell tower(s).
  2. Your devices are intermittently dropping the WiFi connection to the router.

Keep a tab open and logged into the gateway interface at 192.168.12.1 and when you get a “not connected to the internet” check to see that the gateway is/is not connected to the primary and secondary signals. This will answer #1.

Userlevel 2
Badge

The NOAA site issue is harder to reproduce.  Uploading videos to facebook is almost 100%.  You can almost never upload video to facebook.  Logging into Steam by starting the app is about 50-50.  It most often fails on the login.  If you start steam and it does log in you need to exit the app to get it to login again, if you just close the window the app remains running in the background and it won’t log back in.

These issues are present whether you are using a Windows PC hooked to the 2.4 GHZ wifi, the 5 Ghz wifi, or hard wired via an ethernet cable.  You never really lose connection to the router.  Its obvious because you could be downloading something in another browser window or tab and that goes on uninterrupted. 

the most reproduceable problem is to upload a video file to facebook.  It almost always hangs at 0%.  Even though you can upload a photo in a different tab at the same time. 

I am not certain that any of these issues are directly related to one another or not.  All I know is that with Verizon Home internet on the same PC you wont have any such issues.

Here are screenshots I just made showing it happening.  Showing the router web page while the facebook upload is stuck at 0%.  If I try several times it might work once.  If you upload straight to your news feed rather than to a page you manage its somewhat more likely to start, but it often fails there too.

Stuck FB Upload

Userlevel 3
Badge

The web interface screenshot is interesting.  Here is what I am seeing that appears to be different from what other users have.  The Internet Connect is showing a 5G Signal and a 4G Signal.  Other users including myself see Primary Signal and Secondary Signal.

Your software version seems totally wrong.  AFAIK, the latest version is 1.2003.03.0143. Most came with 1.2003.00.0620 firmware out of the box and updated immediatly. Unless you manually updated the software / firmware it seems strange the version you have. This could be the root cause of your issues.

Your hardware version appears to be the same as everyone else is getting.

Here’s mine:

Hopefully this is some way helps.

Userlevel 2
Badge

I haven’t updated the software or anything.  Maybe I should do a factory reset.  The router has just been running itself more or less since I got it.  I’ve not done anything but rename the 2.4 GHZ SSID really and the wifi password.

Maybe I’ll just do a factory reset and go from there. I have spoken to tech support several times and they forced some sort of reset on their end, maybe they put that firmware in there.

Userlevel 2
Badge

I called tech support and they looked at it.  This is the correct firmware for my location.  Maybe my issue are location based and it is getting worked out I don’t know.  I’ve certainly called them enough about it.  Right now it’s just not really useable in my area.  It flakes out on too many websites.  Most reproduceable are steam games and facebook video uploads.

And although it now works with Roku, it still doesnt work with Samsung TV Apps or DirectTV.

This is on the ”older” square box.  (I don’t have the round one).  Works like a charm since the first day, reasonable speed and no caps.  It connects to everything I can think.  But I have a problem:  There must be a filter.  I can’t download files for a train simulator.  Downloads does not even starts.  Called techs at T-Mobile and they guided me to deactivate firewalls and all.  No good.  Contacted people at the server of the simulator and naturally they say it must be some kind of filtering at T-Mobile end.  But the laptop, connected to a cable network, downloads perfectly, so is not a local laptop Windows firewall problem, is at the T-Mobile end.  I was told that IPv6 has nothing to do with the anomaly.  Then for now, there is no solution to this?

The IPv6 problem is messing up my VPN for work as well. I would like to give my cable ISP the boot but I have to bee able to access internal company websites. Previous t-mobile Hotspots had the ability to do iPv4, not sure why they would not give this option first on the new home internet gateways. If they cant fix this, Ill have to return my hotspot.

Userlevel 3
Badge

We have 28 devices in our home, most  showing active is up to 18 (others are off). Never an issue connecting with Wifi on any of them.

Includes 4 Laptops, 6 Roku players, 2 desktops, cell phones, ect ect .. 

Our problem is our local Tower, only 1 mile away near a major interstate. N71 secondary band was unreliable with 4 bars of service and last week stopped working all together. All I have is a primary LTE B12 band and get 40 Mbps mornings then decays to a low of around 10 in the evening. 

Still waiting for a solution, Support has escalated the ticket 51452604 but losing hope, giving it a week or two, then will ship back the Nokia Tower and go back to much hated Spectrum again for a year, check this out again next year, I would expect issues to be solved my then. 

I commend TMobile efforts but for many this isnt working out too well, though I suppose for many it is.

My experience is the same with corporate VPN connectivity.  In that I cannot connect with the Home Internet Gateway.  Would greatly appreciate if T-mobile would provide a firmware fix (if possible).

Same here with corporate VPN no access for the Nokia gateway, but VPN works fine from my Android mobile while in LTE hotspot

I have a multiyear subscription to NordVPN, but I cannot figure out how to get it to work with T-Mobile ISP (got the 5G gray canister last night). It works fine on my phone. Any hot tips on this one? I would be dissapointed to go crawling back to Cox Communications… :weary:

I have a multiyear subscription to NordVPN, but I cannot figure out how to get it to work with T-Mobile ISP (got the 5G gray canister last night). It works fine on my phone. Any hot tips on this one? I would be dissapointed to go crawling back to Cox Communications… :weary:

Try setting the VPN protocol to UDP or NordLynx instead of auto select. Worked for me. 

God bless you sweet angel, that WORKED!! That was the last hurdle and now I’m almost giddy to call up and cancel Cox!