Question

New Home Internet Connection Problems

• 16 September 2021
  • 13 replies

Badge

I recently switched to T Mobile home internet. Received and set up the gateway. Connected with no issues to all my devices except my laptop. It will not even recognize the gateway and is not listed in the available networks to connect to. Did a restart on the gateway and my computer multiple times with no luck. Customer support could not resolve the issue and stated I would maybe need to reach put to HP customer support as it was probably an issue with my lap top. I can connect to my current home internet with no issues and my hotspot through my phone as well. I am at a loss and will have to cancel service if I can not get this resolved as I work from home.

13 replies

Badge

How old is your laptop? Could it be that it's old enough that it doesn't have a 5ghz-capable wlan chip? I know my father-in-law's laptop was the same way. He had to buy a wireless n USB adapter to get 5ghz wireless networks to show up on his laptop.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

How old is your laptop? Could it be that it's old enough that it doesn't have a 5ghz-capable wlan chip? I know my father-in-law's laptop was the same way. He had to buy a wireless n USB adapter to get 5ghz wireless networks to show up on his laptop.

The gateway has both 2.4ghz and 5 ghz. I’ve been using it with an old laptop that only has 2.4ghz and it works. I believe I saw a similar discussion here:

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

There are other threads on here of ones having the same issue. All that I’ve seen were resolved with a WiFi card firmware update from the manufacturer.

Badge

How about trying on a different laptop? If the different laptop works, then it must be your HP laptop.

I am having the same problem, was able to connect all my devices except my HP LAPTOP. Can someone help 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

If the laptop has an Intel WiFi card, you may need to update the NIC drivers. 

I finally got my laptop connected by buying a WiFi USB adapter after talking to a T-Mobile agent who couldn’t fix it but gave me a case number that a technical expert will call me which they never did. The worst thing is that I was put on hold for an hour. Thanks guys for your suggestions.

My wife had problems like you are having. The problem was her VPN was not compatible with T-Mobile newest software version on the gateway. After getting T-Mobile to roll back to the previous version she was able to connect to the gateway. Our gateway  worked fine until they worked on the cellular tower, it’s slow and works erratic now. I do have a work order for the problem but after about 3 weeks I still have issues and I am considering dropping the internet service because it is not what I was promised.

I finally got my laptop connected by buying a WiFi USB adapter after talking to a T-Mobile agent who couldn’t fix it but gave me a case number that a technical expert will call me which they never did. The worst thing is that I was put on hold for an hour. Thanks guys for your suggestions.

I am about to order one now from Amazon -- $20 fix -- I hope it works -- I will keep you all updated.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

For users with older laptops and wireless adapters that don’t play well with the T-Mobile gateway and WI-FI6 - 802.11ax the best option is to just buy a USB adapter and upgrade that part. If the laptop is older and the vendor’s support for the device is no longer available then the old drivers are all you have. 

When selecting a USB wireless network adapter please consider what you want and need. If you upgrade to an adapter with 802.11ax capabilities then you will be able to take advantage of the newer technology the gateway brings to the table. If you need to keep costs down a bit buy an 802.11ac adapter and you will still have pretty good performance. As you move backward your speeds will be reduced and the connectivity to the newer gateway radios may be a problem or more effort. If you run Linux vs Windows or Apple be sure the adapter has driver support for Linux. There are some with Realtec chips that work pretty well. My experience with ASUS adapters is they don’t seem to have Linux driver support. Read the reviews carefully and decide on what you want. Fighting with an old adapter is more of a waste of time than just moving on with a newer wireless adapter.

My 2009 MacBook Pro can't connect because when I click on 5G or 2.4Ghz network, the box asks for a username and there is no username. 

Any ideas?

Badge

I thought about switching when I first say the $50 home wifi offer, until I read it was introductory. My AT&T wifi has worked during hurricanes and has come on so fast after power outages. Also once I put my address in the cheapest Tmobile wifi is $80, ATT is under $70 a month. Not switching. Sounds like the wifi is the same as the phone service. 

Thank you for all the answers, I also have an older laptop and don’t need the frustration. 

Badge

Wifi card bad in laptop possibly ?