New Home Internet User...Update/Replace Router?

• 2 November 2020
  • 5 replies

Badge

Started the Home Internet service about a week ago. So far, great. Good signal reception, good speeds(50-100Mbps). My questions pertains to the Askey TM-RTL0102 Router….I have a flat panel antenna mounted outside running into the house from my previous setup that ran to the router. The cell tower is only ½ mile from where I sit. Looking at it as I sit here typing. 

With the Askey not having antennas, are there aftermarket routers available that would work so I can take advantage of the outdoor antenna? How involed is it to open the router and make the connection? Thanks, Mike.

5 replies

I hope you don’t mind me riding along on this thread; I just activated the service & with my house having low-E windows, the router on the inside of the window gives me less than ½ the speed of when I hold it outside the same window. My old router had ports for an external antenna, like yours.

Badge

I hope you don’t mind me riding along on this thread; I just activated the service & with my house having low-E windows, the router on the inside of the window gives me less than ½ the speed of when I hold it outside the same window. My old router had ports for an external antenna, like yours.

My case isn’t that severe, wow. I am not complaining about the service, it is just aggravating seeing that antenna mounted there with the wire and there’s nothing I can do with it. My signal strength before was -66dBm with the old unit, now it is -90dBm.This new TM setup is, by far, the best system I have had yet. Very rural area of middle Ohio where the only other options are terrible Frontier DSL and the satellite thing, no thanks. 

There is a link I found to check a devices IMEI number as to it’s compatibility….https://www.t-mobile.com/resources/bring-your-own-phone. Just not sure how this test pertains to a router and the Home Internet service. Heck, I’d crack this one open and run a couple jumper wires out of it if I could see it done somewhere first...lol.

In my home I put secound floor still not getting 5g just getting// 2 line signal so may be I goen return 

There are some posts over in the T-Mobile forum on Reddit that explain how to connect your gateway to an external antenna. It does require you to modify the gateway (including some soldering and drilling), and that will typically void the warranty. Even if all goes well, if you ever get upgraded to the T-Mo 5G gateway (made by Nokia) and have to return your old one, they’ll most likely charge you if it’s been modified.

If you can get one of the new 5G gateways that are made by Nokia, it’s much more straightforward. That gateway has internal standard U.FL connectors that the internal antennas use. You can disconnect a pair of them and buy a couple of U.FL to N Pigtail Adapters to connect the gateway to the coax from your external antenna. You can run that pigtail into the gateway without having to modify the case, and there’s no soldering involved, so you could return the device to its original condition, if necessary. 

As far as I know, there aren’t any third party “bring your own device” options. You have to use a gateway supplied by T-Mobile.

Badge

For future reference on how to access the internal antenna connection  should you get the Nokia gateway

https://www.waveform.com/a/b/guides/hotspots/t-mobile-5g-gateway