Question

New Internet Customer - Recommendations?

• 16 January 2023
  • 4 replies

Badge

Hi All,

New TMHI customer here. I’m in my current trial period and really want to make sure I’m maximizing my speed with T-Mobile’s internet. So far everything seems to be good!

I figured I’d go to the community to see if there are any tips for maximizing my speeds and ensuring I have the best possible connection. I do have a Netgear C6250 modem/wifi router with Xfinity right now but I’m not sure if this is compatible with T-Mobile. 

A little background, myself and my partner mainly use internet for streaming (Netflix, Hulu, etc.) gaming (Xbox Series X + PS5), and browsing/work. Typical night is I’m gaming and she’ll be watching a show on Hulu or something. I tried it out this afternoon and I did notice some stuttering while I was playing online and she was watching a show.

I figured I’d reach out here to see if anyone has recommendations in terms of settings or even a recommendation for a new router. I’m not cancelling my Xfinity just yet because I do want to see how good the internet is with T-Mobile first and if I can get it in a sweet spot. I did follow the recommendation and the gateway is on an upper floor by a window.

Look forward to any recommendations and suggestions!

4 replies

My trial period was flawless too back in September. Ever since it has been terrible. Frequent disconnects and reboots even though always shows excellent connection. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

My trial period was good. If you have a “very good” or “excellent” signal, leave it where you have it. You can use the T-Mobile Internet app to fine tune the gateway placement if necessary. 

I think you have a cable modem, which is good for Comcast and alike. I would get a wifi router like the Netgear MR60. You can plug an ethernet cable from the back of the T-Mobile gateway into the Internet port on the router and it all works fine.

Like “copz1998”, I had a good trial period. Speeds next to the Gateway showed 500+mbs, but downstairs at the entertainment center, it dropped to 130mbs. I had the Netgear Nighthawk Mesh MR60 system in conjunction with Xfinity cable system. In connecting my Gateway to the MR60 with an ethernet cord, I don’t get the MR60 to be recognized as an available network. I speaking to Netgear Representative, She indicated the MR60 is a 6G system, where as T-Mobile is of course, a 5G system. 

So, is this a basic compatability issue?

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

R.UPSman, If you are getting near 100Mbps, be happy. Speeds will rise/fall depending on the local usage (mine goes up to 200 Mbps at night with less use and 60-80 Mbps in the daytime with heavy traffic and local use). 

With you MR60, make sure to use the Netgear Nighthawk app to set up and configure your wifi router. I have unit 1 plugged into the T-Mobile gateway and the other end into the yellow “Internet” jack in the back of the MR60 unit. Then place the 2nd unit at the other end of your house and it will connect. Make sure you have the gateway cable is plugged into the correct MR60 jack. 

Also, remember that your gateway will have one name/identifier and your MR60 will have another. Your gateway is a gateway/wifi router, but you want to use your MR60 as your primary wifi access point. 

You should not experience any compatibility issues.