Question

New T Mobile home gaetway

• 17 January 2022
  • 18 replies

Badge

Is anyone using the new home gateway ARC KVD21 GATEWAY BLK KIT

I’m getting one of the new units and wanted to know if it is any better than the round trash can style?

My main use will be streaming for TV and basic online stuff.

18 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

I’m getting one of the new units and wanted to know if it is any better than the round trash can style?

Do you have a picture of it you can post?

Badge

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Very interested if its better all so and if it has anntena hookups built in already

Badge

I know nothing about the unit yet since I haven’t received it but the shipping is in progress. I’m hoping it works pretty good because I’m tired of dealing with SuddenLink and their ongoing price increases for no reason. I’m just using it to stream to our TVs and basic Internet stuff and I believe I should be able to hook it up to our home network very easily to be able to make everything work hard wire through the house as it is now. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

This new gateway has even less selectable options than the Nokia gateway, according to the manual. It appears to be more basic than ever, which may only be good for streaming or web browsing.

https://www.t-mobile.com/support/public-files/attachments/t-mobile-arcadyan-kvd21-user-guide-english.pdf

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

This new gateway has even less selectable options than the Nokia gateway, according to the manual. It appears to be more basic than ever, which may only be good for streaming or web browsing.

https://www.t-mobile.com/support/public-files/attachments/t-mobile-arcadyan-kvd21-user-guide-english.pdf

No freaking anntena ports ,, you must be kidding me...what a joke

Got mine today and within minutes it received a firmware update. Now it just disconnects after being online after about 3 minutes. excellent signal to disconnected with no signal. Sad. Guess I’ll be checking in with support.

Got mine today and within minutes it received a firmware update. Now it just disconnects after being online after about 3 minutes. excellent signal to disconnected with no signal. Sad. Guess I’ll be checking in with support.

After the third power cycle, it’s been up and running for about 2 hrs.

It’s super basic and no external antenna ports, but is possibly mod-able: https://tmo.report/2021/12/this-is-the-new-t-mobile-5g-home-internet-gateway/

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

This one is supposed to do aggregation, so depending on tower density, this may show a marked performance gain in some markets.

Unfortunately, 5G came available in my market after the Nokia shortages started, so our existing 4g customers are STILL stuck on the old Askey LTE only units.

Been like 14 months on LTE now, with the odd fallback to 3g backup.  Has gotten progressively better, but mid day we still get the slowdowns.

Hoping the supply chain on the new units is good enough that we all can get the upgrades soon.

Badge

T mobile will not give you a new modem at all if you want one they said this to me twice 

•Beginning January 12, ship-to orders will begin receiving either the Nokia or Arcadyan Gateway based on device availability.
oOnly one device will show in Dash at the time of activation, the device the customer receives will be determined by inventory.
oWarranty Exchange devices will be replaced with like for like units.
•There is no ability to select which gateway device a customer will receive. 
•Both devices provide the same functionality and performance, with a similar look and feel.
oSince all of our 5G Gateways offer the same key features and experience including Wi-Fi, multiple home network (SSID), and a connection to the massive capacity of T-Mobile's 4G LTE and 5G networks, requests to swap from a 5G Gateway to a different 5G Gateway are not supported 

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

T mobile will not give you a new modem at all if you want one they said this to me twice 

•Beginning January 12, ship-to orders will begin receiving either the Nokia or Arcadyan Gateway based on device availability.
oOnly one device will show in Dash at the time of activation, the device the customer receives will be determined by inventory.
•Both devices provide the same functionality and performance, with a similar look and feel.
oSince all of our 5G Gateways offer the same key features and experience including Wi-Fi, multiple home network (SSID), and a connection to the massive capacity of T-Mobile's 4G LTE and 5G networks, requests to swap from a 5G Gateway to a different 5G Gateway are not supported 

This won't be a 5g swap though, but their promised upgrade path from the Askey modems and 4g only service.

This was something they put in place when they started rolling out 5g to more markets... but it has always been limited by the supply/demand factor, with new customers taking priority over existing customers waiting for their upgrades.

Why I mentioned I hoped the supply chain for the new one is good enough that they can finally start rolling out those promised upgrades from well into last year.  New customers in our market all get slated for the 5g setup, fulfilled ASAP--but we have been stuck on the back burner a long time now... almost a year in fact.

Think I initially registered in February, renewed it last summer, and again this month (Google-Fi prompts me to refresh my info every 6 months, and I hit everyone else up at the same time).

Userlevel 2
Badge

of course that would be the policy

Badge

What’s the firmware version?

Badge

Crack it open and hook in an extended antenna ripped out of an old laptop. It works great!

😁😆

Userlevel 2

Don’t waste your time on the Nokia or Arkadyn, insist that you get the Sagemcom. I fought for months trying to get usable internet access with tmo and had no luck with the other gateways.

I’ve had the Sagemcom for around three weeks now and depending upon the channel the gateway connects to, the slowest speeds are around 25 Mbps, fastest can reach 240 Mbps. With the older gateways, I was getting speeds so slow (on a daily basis) that I couldn’t even run speed tests.

I certainly can’t guarantee that the Sagemcom is the solution for everyone but after 9 months of grief and countless calls to tmo tech support when using the Nokia and Arkadyn gateways, I finally have an acceptable level of service with the Sagemcom.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I’m getting outages with the Nokia around every other day. Are the options in the Sagemcom as dumbed down as the Nokia, better, worse?

Userlevel 2

None of the gateways have an interface that even remotely gives me the features that I would like to see and I’m guessing you have the same opinion. I had exactly the same problem with the Nokia that you are having. It was awful. The Arkadyn was a close second. 

With the Sagemcom, I’m less concerned about the interface because it seems to be performing its duties with no real hiccups. I’m sure TMO was hoping for the same performance from the Nokia and Arkadyn. In my opinion, TMO they really hurt themselves by using these inferior devices. I’ve been a TMO mobile customer for 18 years and never had a complaint until I signed up for home internet. If you are wanting to try another gateway, get the Sagemcom and don’t accept anything else. If you make enough noise, they’ll find a way to get you one. At least according to my experience, it’s your best shot at getting internet access you can live with.

Badge

its sad when the old lte white rectangle gateway has more settings than the new 5g gateways