Question

New to Tmobile Internet, questions about devices, signal, logging into gateway page

Badge

I’m new to Tmobile Internet and I think it’s probably (potentially?) really good, but wow there is almost NO information available to new users. You need some better info, Tmobile! Here are my initial questions.

How do you log into the gateway? I go to http://192.168.12.1/ and it wants a login. Can’t find info on this anywhere. It’s not the regular customer login and it’s not the wifi login. Other Internet providers usually had some kind of login called admin with its own password but...can’t find any information anywhere.

Can you name your devices? This is a really important feature. I can go on the Tmobile app, which I assumed would be much like the xfinity app, in the ability to name and assign devices to users. Nope. Please let me know if I’ve missed something, or whether there’s a way to make this (pretty obvious) suggestion to Tmobile that we get the ability to name devices.

How do we boost signal most effectively to remote parts of the house? We’ve placed the device centrally where we need the most signal, for work and entertainment, but part of the reason we chose this service is that it supposedly was good at broadcasting signal widely. Well...not so much. Three rooms and the garage (for our MyQ opener) don’t get any signal. What’s the best booster or repeater that works best with this thing, and does it work well? Xfinity has those expensive “pods” that you have to plug in all over the house, in practically every room, to make their service work. I was so tired of those things using up all our electrical outlets, and hoping we could avoid that here.

Is there some source of information for Tmobile’s home internet that we just didn’t find out about? I have to imagine that there’s got to be information but it’s hard to find.

Thanks for helping a newcomer to this service.

5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

How do you log into the gateway?

This will be the Admin info that you set up when you first ran through the initial setup using the phone app.

Can you name your devices? 

Nope. This is just one of many baffling decisions made by TM (T-Mobile) when it came to striping almost all of the usable features from the base Nokia gateways. You can get around this by buying and running your devices through a wifi router, more on that below.

How do we boost signal most effectively to remote parts of the house?

Yea, I have a pretty decent two-story house and the wifi signal from the silver trashcan is eh at best. my $100 modem/router that I had bought and used when I had Cox damn near went out to the middle of the road lol. Again, my best suggestion and what I do is to get a decent wifi router and run your devices through that and not connected directly to the silver trashcan. This will resolve quite a few issues for almost all users. First, you will get way better wifi coverage. I actually have a MyQ garage door opener myself so I know exactly the issue you are having and mine works great now with actual decent wifi coverage.

Second, almost all routers will give you the option to name your devices so you can actually keep track of what is what. And lastly, going through a second router will help with a lot of the connection issues a lot of users have with certain websites and services. Again, TM has decided to make some of the strangest and most halfassed backward decisions they possibly could when they set up this network. With trying to route all network traffic through IPv6, which 90% of the internet does not fully support just yet, TM has decided to break and or keep a good portion of websites, services, and devices from working properly or at all. This can either be fixed by using a VPN (which I also do) or running everything through a separate router.

Is there some source of information for Tmobile’s home internet that we just didn’t find out about?

Nope. Again, if you haven’t started to notice, a lot of the customers here are not very satisfied with the service from TM. And thus TM tries to keep info as locked down as they can because if they did not there is no way they could keep getting customers to switch over. I know that for myself if I had seen all the posts here on the TM forum site I would have never switched over and left my former ISP even though I absolutely hated Cox as a company. At least their service worked and I could use whatever device I wanted for the most part.

It is a little buried, but in the TM home internet app there is a section under the “More” tab located at the bottom of the screen where you can actually find the guides for the gateway and other “how-to” materials. Go to the “More” tab then click on “Gateway user guide”. This should be something that every new customer gets told about but most of their so-called “Experts” don’t even know how to use the phone app, nevertheless that there are actual user guides on it.

Also, I have attached a handy little guide to help users understand and get the best signal when trying to figure out where to put their gateway. Long story short, the lower the number the better in everything but SINR, that one its the other way around, the bigger the better. Hope this helps.

Badge

I really appreciate all this information, Trandel_Elent and you’ve confirmed some of my worst fears unfortunately! 

So...I went through and set up my Gateway using the app, but I swear I was not asked to set up an admin password. How confusing. I don’t even know the user name. Is it “admin” ? Could it be there was a default for this and I didn’t get around to reset it? This is maddening. This is the worst experience ever.

Userlevel 2
Badge

I really appreciate all this information, Trandel_Elent and you’ve confirmed some of my worst fears unfortunately! 

So...I went through and set up my Gateway using the app, but I swear I was not asked to set up an admin password. How confusing. I don’t even know the user name. Is it “admin” ? Could it be there was a default for this and I didn’t get around to reset it? This is maddening. This is the worst experience ever.

Yea, the first-time setup is not user-friendly at all and it is really easy to miss that step. The default username should be admin so try using that with whatever password you might have made for it. Also, the one thing I always suggest anyone do whenever setting stuff like this I would always either have something at hand to write things like passwords and admin info down or store it on a sticky note or text file on your PC so you always have some way to look that info up in case you forget it.

Worse comes to worst, what you could do is do a reset (not reboot) BUT MAKE SURE YOU USE THE SAME wifi names so that you do not have to go back and reset every single device you have in your house. As long as you use the same wifi names and passwords all your devices should automatically reconnect once you are done setting up the gateway.

Also, as another tip that I think I have figured out after a couple of months of testing, I am almost 100% sure that the antennas in the gateway are located and facing out from where the “T” symbol is on the gateway. Here is a website I have used to find the nearest 5G towers to my house. Using the map, point the “T” in the direction of the nearest towers and then use the signal guide that I posted earlier to try and get the best signal that you can. As another tip (I keep on remembering things as I write lol, Apologies, I had a stroke a few weeks back and my memory is kinda hazy at times), You can tell when you have a 5G signal when you are connected to the secondary signal and it shows up in the app or web-based GUI. 

https://www.cellmapper.net/map?MCC=310&MNC=260&type=LTE&latitude=0&longitude=0&zoom=11&showTowers=true&showTowerLabels=true&clusterEnabled=true&tilesEnabled=true&showOrphans=false&showNoFrequencyOnly=false&showFrequencyOnly=false&showBandwidthOnly=false&DateFilterType=None&showHex=false&showVerifiedOnly=false&showUnverifiedOnly=false&showLTECAOnly=false&showENDCOnly=false&showBand=0&showSectorColours=true&mapType=roadmap

Just don’t forget to switch the signal type to 5G then just go to your location.

Badge

Thanks again, Trandel_Elent!

I got on the admin account and I also positioned this thing so everything is working at the moment -- the biggest weak point was the myQ which is currently working, although I think I will definitely take your advice and get a router soon. My house is not that huge but just big enough to need a bit more coverage. Also I haven’t moved all my smart devices over yet (so many devices!) -- we have a lot of lights set dusk-to-dawn out front and if the signal is barely reaching the myQ it might not quite make it out to those lights until I get a router.

Saw where another user was asking about what the “Mesh Wi-fi 6 system” was, on http://192.168.12.1/ under Devices...I wonder if they are coming out with their own product soon, to address the shortcomings of the service.

Finally, I’m really sorry to hear about the stroke! That’s got to be really frustrating. Haven’t had that experience, but I did have a concussion once, after a branch fell out of a tree from pretty high up, and conked me on the head. I was hazy for a few weeks after that, so I understand that part!

Userlevel 2
Badge

You’re welcome, bkprice13

Trust me, after a couple of months of having to learn all this through trial and error and absolutely zero help at all from TM’s “Experts”, I totally know how frustrating all this can be. Hopefully, some of this can help you and others get through the worst of the setup with as little pain as possible.

To be honest, unless you have a really massive house, like 3000 sq feet and up and you want wifi all the way back in your backyard, or have literally DOZENS of people streaming 4k all at once, most users will never really need a WiFi 6 setup, at least not anytime soon. Espically on TMs network, Wifi 6 would be overkill to the extreme because we don’t we even get the speeds that are high enough to really take advantage of all the extra throughput that Wifi 6 offers. Add in that most decent devices cost $400+ and up from there and I would never suggest that to any of my endusers unless they just have money to burn and most have the absolute newest, shiniest thing around.

And thanks, it’s been a pretty difficult few weeks with most likely many months ahead of recovery. I count myself lucky, it could have been much, much worse than where I am at now. I appreciate the thought. If you or anyone else ever have any more questions please feel free to ask and I will help as much as I can.