Question

Newbie to TMHI...so what are we supposed to do with IPV4 devices?

• 24 September 2022
  • 15 replies

Badge

I just set up my TMHI “router” (yes, in airquotes), and am very happy with the speed, but I’m not happy that a couple of my devices won’t connect to it at all. Neither my 2021 wired Ring Doorbell, nor my Sense Labs home entergy monitor will connect to the router.  I switched the mode from Automatic to 2.4GHz, but no luck.

I’m guessing it is related to the router only handling IPV6.  As soon as I switched the devices back to use my old router (an actual real router...Linksys EA7500), both devices reconnected with no issues.

I’m thinking of connecting my EA7500 to the TMHI router, and just continue to use it as I did when it was connected to my Spectrum cable modem.

Any thoughts on how this will work for me, and what the disadvantages may be to doing so?  Does anyone have an alternate solution to accomplish getting these devices to connect to the TMHI “router”?

Thanks,

Bill

15 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I don’t know of any disadvantages, but am not that knowledgeable about the matter.  I do know that connecting my eero 6+ to the T-Mobile tower made everything I had easily connect to the internet again, after cancelling Cox.  That included a Lenovo desktop, Fire HD 10, Sony TV, Canon printer, Panasonic HomeHawk cameras and Moto T-Mobile phone.

Badge

I also have devices that require IPV4. What are the steps to connecting a router to the gateway? I have a netgear router.

Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

The T-Mobile gateways DO provide both IPv4 and IPv6 addresses for clients. The IPv4 is translated across the IPv6 network and back to IPv4 but that is outside the gateway and the local network. The local network is 192.168.12.0/24 and has 254 addresses. The DHCP scope “appears” to run from address 101-254. I have monitored the IP addresses of the clients on my LAN and all have addressing above 100 so it appears the DHCP scope is only in the upper part. I have hard coded below 100 and had no issues as I have not stepped on another address. Of course the 192.168.12.1 is excluded from the scope and it is the reserved gateway address. There is also IPv6, assuming your client has IPv6 enabled and you would get the IPv6 link local address plus a few more. By default most Microsoft and Apple solutions have dual stack enabled. If you add the router and need IPv4 and IPv6 to the clients then you need to consider that as well. If you leave the T-Mobile gateway functional and add the router and add clients to its wireless vs the T-Mobile wireless and it works great. If you find it does not work then all you have to do is move the clients to the T-Mobile wireless or wired connection and remove the additional wireless router. Before you get too committed to the additional router and strip back the T-Mobile gateway it is easy to experiment and back up if need be rather than starting over with everything.

If you have a router you can connect the WAN port to one of the Ethernet ports on the gateway but do be aware that if you leave it as a router it will be doing NAT so you end up with a double NAT but it will work for most things. Putting the wireless router you have in bridge mode is another option. Some users disable the wireless on the T-Mobile gateway when possible and just use their own wireless router or mesh solution connected to the T-Mobile gateway. I am pretty sure if users do an online search there are resources that explain it and probably YouTube videos where a geek is just having fun sharing the experience. The information is out there. Adding an additional router is just a bit more effort. 

Using a router that you have which you know the IOT devices connected to easily is a reasonable workaround for getting those connected. Some older devices like 6-8 year old printers that no longer have driver support do not play well with the newer WIFI-6 solution on the T-Mobile gateways. If you have an older client with an old wireless adapter it is much easier to buy a 802.11ac or 802.11ax USB adapter and disable the old adapter that does not play well or is slow. The 802.11ac USB adapters are pretty inexpensive and much better than fighting with an old wireless adapter which also has weaker authentication protocols. 

I’ve been able to connect my Sense home energy monitor to both my internal router and the TMobile Internet Gateway “Router”, but Sense gives an error message “Network Problem - There was a problem talking to the Sense service.”  Sense recommends forwarding TCP 123, 443, 6514, 8482, and UDP 53.

Any luck getting your Sense home energy monitor to connect to the Sense servers through your T-Mobile home internet, whether through the TMHI Gateway or your own router?

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Port forwarding with the T-Mobile 5G solution seems to be a bit sketchy. They don’t seem to advertise what will be forwarded and what is blocked. It makes it hard to determine if the solution is viable for specific case uses. From all I have read about the behavior it does seem to come down to the 464XLAT solution which is used across their IPv6 network. The support or lack there of that is included for port forwarding seems to be rather specific. It could be the marketing profile for subscribers is narrowed down to empower them to deliver services with the lowest overhead and technical complexity. Given what they are doing is rather involved it would make sense. Will they expand services in the future? That is hard to say. Maybe if market pressure is sufficient to push for changes. 

It is not all a T-Mobile problem. It comes down in part to vendors selection for service delivery and their propensity to lean on the old tried and true technologies based upon IPv4 delivery. If more vendors would develop their services with additional support for IPv6 the migration of services for IOT based systems over IPv6 would probably be improved and simplified. Given the ports you know are needed T-Mobile support, at least escalation level, should be able to tell you for sure if they will or will not forward those ports. If they are not forwarding them a VPN solution might offer a workaround but that is at an additional cost for a personal VPN solution and a bit more to set things up.

I have the opposite problem. I’ve read several threads here and on reddit about VPN problems over T mobile home internet. Let me back up though, about 1.5 years ago we decided to use a VPN for accessing our work servers. VPN service was “decent” for 1.4 years and the last couple of months the connection to the VPN server is unreliable and resets often. In addition, ssh access hangs randomly, and when it IS working it is extremely laggy… press a key and it won’t appear on the screen for 2-5 seconds or more.

I thought it might be the VPN that changed configuration and that was causing my problems, but now it seems it’s the IPv6 element since the VPN server only has an IPv4 address. I use OpenVPN to connect.

The VPN service also claims one can connect via TCP but I have been unable to do this -- only via UDP.

So I guess my question is, what else might be the problem/solution if I need to connect to a VPN server via IPv4 and it seems something is getting lost… I’m guessing the packets coming back never reach my machine.

On Friday evening, Amazon Prime stopped working….after 3 hours on the phone with them, nothing resolved. My husband did some digging and determined it was an IPV4 vs IPV6 issue.

I have read some of these answers and I don’t have a clue what to do.

Can anyone help?

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

@DeeMc I’m pretty sure nothing in this discussion applies to your problem.  Do you mean your Amazon Fire TV stick (aka Firestick) lost its connection to the internet all of a sudden?  Or if it’s not a Firestick, what kind of hardware is it, and is Prime Video the only service affected?  No matter what hardware, the first thing to try is rebooting both the T-Mobile gateway and the streaming device.

Every streaming app works on our brand new Sony TV except Prime Video. We have rebooted the router, deleted Prime Video several times, updated software on the TV. To no avail.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Hi @DeeMc, are you getting any error message on the Prime Video app on your Sony TV.  Also, have you tried the Prime Video app on phone or tablet?

Works on my phone, an older Samsung TV using a Firestick. I’m getting the generic 5004 error message.

It will look like it’s working, allow me to choose something, spinning wheel, then say there’s a problem.’

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

It sounds like a conflict between the Prime Video app and the Sony TV.  Have you tried unplugging the TV for at least a minute?  Beyond that, my only suggestion is to use a Firestick or Roku on the Sony TV for when you want to watch Prime, and check for updates every now and then.  Good luck.

Thanks.

We ended up putting an extender in the roof with the TV and it worked!!!

Still having the issue with not able to connect to work VPN using IPV4. Checked with TM and they confirmed it is the IpV4 causing the internet drop when connected to VPN. Company suggesting to switch ;) 

I saw a video online about reducing the MPU size but have not tried as company is hesitant (need admin access), any luck trying that?

also please tell me if adding an ipv4 compatible router between TM>ipv4 router>work laptop will help? I am not very knowledgeable with the network thing so please try to explain in layman terms.