Solved

NOK 5G21 GATEWAY GRY KIT LAN Connection

• 19 January 2021
  • 20 replies

Badge

I received this device and have great service so long as I place it on the top level of my house! I want to utilize the LAN ports for an ethernet connection to my home router but it does not seem to negotiate with my router or even my switch? I have tried both dhcp and static settings for LAN1 and I still get no link lights on the router or switch. Connect a WIN10 laptop to the same ethernet cable and it will work with both dhcp and static assignments? What am I not seeing here?

icon

Best answer by Reblog 25 January 2021, 15:59

View original

20 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I have the new 5G21 gateway too and have one of the lan ports connected to a switch. No issues with it. Have a NAS and a dock connected to the switch. I know that doesn’t help, but at least it should work with your switch (as it does for me).

Badge

What kind of switch, i.e. netgear, tp-link, d-link, and is it managed?

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

TP-Link 5 port Gb switch. Not managed

Userlevel 2
Badge

c’mon people, how about a link to some documentation, a specific help page, or a little more context ?

the folks at T-Moo are not magicians…..at least give them some specifics to work with,,,,

oh, I forgot, this forum is unmoderated by T-Moo, and maybe they do not really care about your problems….but T-Moo, there are almost 200 views...

@RQ1234 - you are getting a signal, any idea what you are getting in signal strength, can you access any settings, why would your laptop work, but not a switch or a router, maybe it is defective and your should exchange it and try another one ????

Badge

Yes, I am getting a signal and 4g/lte connections @ abt. 55Mbps to 65Mbps! The Win10 laptop I have will NOT connect to the 5G21 GATEWAY over the wireless 2.4 or 5 GHz. Same laptop connects fine to all other APs I have! Connected it to a cat 5e 1000mb or 1gb ethernet it works fine. Tried to connect a netgear managed switch after a factory reset and get no link lights on switch. Connect laptop to switch and get link lights. Bought a TP-Link router and connected its WAN to the same ethernet cable to 5G21 GATEWAY port and get no connection even with router wan port set to DHCP. You may be right that the 5G21 GATEWAY is defective?

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

I received this device and have great service so long as I place it on the top level of my house! I want to utilize the LAN ports for an ethernet connection to my home router but it does not seem to negotiate with my router or even my switch? I have tried both dhcp and static settings for LAN1 and I still get no link lights on the router or switch. Connect a WIN10 laptop to the same ethernet cable and it will work with both dhcp and static assignments? What am I not seeing here?

There are no settings on the Nokia 5G gateway for LAN/Ethernet.  The only thing you can change is WiFi settings and those are limited.  Perhaps you get a gateway with newer software/firmware than the rest?  Can you post a screenshot of the web interface?

FWIW, I used the LAN port on the Nokia gateway to both direct computer and to TP-Link router each without any issues.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

The gateway port is likely disabled... at least they say it is on my white box.

Have to connect the uplink to LAN1/2 on their device... basically, you either double-NAT, or run your router in AP mode.

Badge

I have used both LAN 1 & 2 with little success. I have attached a screenshot of the web interface.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I don’t know if this means anything with regards to your LAN port issues, but I have a different hardware version.  Thought I’d pass it along.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Have you thought about doing a factory reset and reconfiguring? Might be worth a try, although you may end up worse. Hard to know at this point.

One more thing that’s missing from the interface. The ability to backup the configuration to a file.  How basic is that!

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

I have used both LAN 1 & 2 with little success. I have attached a screenshot of the web interface.

I have the same software version but one newer version of the hardware.  LAN ports on the gateway work fine with TP-Link router.  I did not hookup basic switch but no reason it should not.  You can't put the Nokia in bridge mode so it’s almost pointless to use an external router, a switch, I can see.

Badge

Reblog, did you use the WAN interface on the TP-Link router?

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Umm, yeah, that’s how routers work.  Maybe I’m missing something in what you are trying to do.  i.e. you can turn off all the WiFi radios in the Nokia gateway, connect it to the WAN port and use your router to distribute to your LAN.  You’ll end up with multiple NAT’s but it works. 

Did you ever get this resolved?  I am having same issue.  Funny thing is, it was working connected to a router Wan port and just stopped.  I have get a link light when connecting to a switch, but it won't pass DHCP addresses to anything behind it.  Tried 2 different switches and cables.  When you computer directly into it works fine.  Makes no sense to me, but will give it a day and return I guess, shame they use such a limited device

Userlevel 3
Badge

Umm, yeah, that’s how routers work.  Maybe I’m missing something in what you are trying to do.  i.e. you can turn off all the WiFi radios in the Nokia gateway, connect it to the WAN port and use your router to distribute to your LAN.  You’ll end up with multiple NAT’s but it works. 

Ummmm … I would disagree with using the WAN port. 
Go into the router you want to connect GUI, turn off all DHCP settings. 

Plug the Nokia Gateway into one of the LAN ports. This will make the router that you want to use an access point and the Nokia will be the only one showing a NAT.

IF the person asking does some research on the internet, google itself shows this method. 

To clarify = 

1. First, go into the GUI of the router that you want to use. Turn off all DHCP settings. 
  2. Turn off all SSID and Broadcast settings in the Nokia tower for EVERY 2.5 and 5 ghz SSID, you must save each setting before going to the next SSID.
  3. Make sure you have the router you want to use programmed with the SSIDs and passwords that you want.
  4. Plug Nokia Router into the LAN port of the router that you want to use. Do NOT ever use the WAN port. NEVER.
  5. Your all done. You may need to reboot the devices. The Router that you want to use is now an access point for the Nokia Tower. The Nokia Tower Wifi is turned off and will see all the devices from the router you wanted to use as Ethernet connections. 

Tried this as well and no dice.  Think I may have a defective unit, only thing I can come up with.  I did get it to connect in the WAN port of the router but it dropped after a few minutes. 

I never got working with removing my router and using a basic switch instead.  

Cant get support on the phone, ugghhhh

Your laptop might not be 5G capable. I have the same issue. Windows 10 laptop, connects 2.4 not 5G

I  also have NOK 5G21 GATEWAY GRY KIT. Did anybody face VPN connection issue? My company uses Cisco Anyconnect to VPN through company laptop. And VMware Horizon Client to remote in from personal laptop. My company blames T-mobile, and t-mobile blames my company. It works perfectly fine from my friend’s internet (internet from other company), but I have issue when trying from t-mobile wireless internet. At this point I don’t see any option other than switching company for internet. 

My company uses Cisco Anyconnect to VPN through company laptop. And VMware Horizon Client to remote in from personal laptop. My company blames T-mobile, and t-mobile blames my company. It works perfectly fine from my friend’s internet (internet from other company), but I have issue when trying from t-mobile wireless internet. At this point I don’t see any option other than switching company for internet. 

My work also uses Cisco Anyconnect and has worked perfectly fine for me to VPN into work the past 2 weeks I’ve had it. Might be some configuration on the VPN servers your company has seeing as I’ve also heard of others using Cisco Anyconnect successfully on TMHI.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

I  also have NOK 5G21 GATEWAY GRY KIT. Did anybody face VPN connection issue? My company uses Cisco Anyconnect to VPN through company laptop. And VMware Horizon Client to remote in from personal laptop. My company blames T-mobile, and t-mobile blames my company. It works perfectly fine from my friend’s internet (internet from other company), but I have issue when trying from t-mobile wireless internet. At this point I don’t see any option other than switching company for internet. 

I would side with TMO on this. My reasoning is that a company provided VPN should work no matter where you are in the world as an employee. Also, companies still use mobile hotspots for their employees who travel and those need to work on VPN as well. TMO Home Internet is basically a hotspot so with the right configuration on the VPN end it should work. My wife’s company is in the Fortune 500 and her VPN worked from day one on TMO Home Internet.