Wanted to see if any T-Mobile reps were active in these forums. I have been on the home Internet service for about a month now.
I was previously on ATT 4G LTE using a Netgear lb-1121 in bridge mode to my Watchguard firewall. I am an IT engineer and been working almost exclusively from home the last 9 months.
So to the point of this post. Current speeds are pretty good for the rural area I’m in. 1 mile from tower as the crow flies and seeing 100 down 60 up. However, I had to totally reconfigure my home network due to the VERY limited configuration available for this gateway. Okay no worries all of that done.
I understand this is a Nokia Fastmile gateway with T-Mobile specific firmware on it. I’m currently showing version 1.2003.03.0143 of the firmware. The Fastmile has configuration support for vpn passthrough as well as full bridge mode and other basic and advanced settings however it appears that T-Mobile has not developed their firmware to support these settings yet. There are TONS of reddit threads speaking to all the various issues people are having with this thing. I’m looking to hear from someone at T-Mobile who may be able to give us an update on when we might have updated firmware to address some of these issues.
Now to list all the various issues….
- No VPN passthrough
- I have tons of client VPNs we work with currently L2TP udp and IPSEC vpns can not traverse this gateway properly
- Cannot change the LAN IP Subnet
- You are locked into the private address range the device comes with
- Wifi calling from a T-Mobile cellphone running through the T-Mobile gateway
- Call drops, incoming calls ring once or are not received
- Microsoft Teams calling has strange behavior periodically whether using the desktop app or Mobile App (Mobile App does seem to be somewhat better)
These are the big ones for me but you can just go to Reddit tmobileisp for more. As for my setup I am running the Home Internet gateway direct into my switching. All Wireless Radios and WLANs are turned off on the gateway as I use Ruckus wireless access points in our home. All devices are hardwired through Cat-6. Honestly never had these problems at all when on ATT granted I was running through my own Firewall with the modem in Bridge mode.
This can all be fixed if T-Mobile will get some updated firmware developed to allow us to use some of the settings available on the Fastmile.