Question

Nokie Gateway Sudden Packet Loss

• 11 July 2022
  • 6 replies

Badge

I’ve been with T-Mobile Home Internet for about a year now, never had an issue with my ping and packet loss until recently. I’m wondering if others are going through the same situation? I have the Nokie 5G21 Gateway running Firmware 1.2201.00.0313.

I game often at home and makes multiplayer games unplayable with stutters and packet loss every 10 seconds. I also have Google Nest Mini set up to turn off lights around my place, it’s been slow to respond around the same time as packet/ping issue.

This is a replacement from two months ago, so this replacement is my 2nd one if that makes any difference.

6 replies

I have the same problem. Since 1.2201.00.0313, the speed is lower and latency is much higher.

This has just started happening to me as well 3-4 days ago. 

Until 2 weeks ago I had a previous generation router from Nokia - 5G21. It worked well for 10 months. I was getting about 200-500 Mbps download, and 20-60 Mpbs upload (depending on a time of day). 
I switched my cell provider from Verizon (5 lines), to T-Mobile MAX plan. There was an issue with my account when merging home internet with cell service, so they closed my home internet account, and opened a new home internet account under my cell plan ( to get 20$ off discount for Max plan holder).  I Returned the Nokia 5g21 gateway and got the new ARC KVD21 square box. What a mistake!! 🤬

My speeds dropped 10x since the switch. I now get no more than 20-40 Mbps on average ( 150 mpbs if I do speedtest in the middle of the night) .  However while being super disappointing, that’s still acceptable for day-to-day work from home stuff, and basic netflix in the evening.

If I hold my 5G iPhone next to gateway and run a speedtest - I easily get 200-300 Mbps. So I know the tower is capable, and location for the router/gateway is good. 

WHAT IS NOT ACCEPTABLE IS THE 5-15 % 😡 packet loss that started happening 4 days ago.  

1. I can’t use Zoom for calls.
  2. My VPN to work disconnects constantly.
  3. I can’t run a simple SQL query against work DB server, without loosing my connection multiple time.
  4. My Wife’s connection is dropping constantly - she can’t use online conferencing tools either. 
  5. Kids can’t do homework properly. The list goes one.
  6. 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

I’ve been in IT for 25+ years, 10 of those doing Network/DB admin & User Support. I know how to do basic troubleshooting 🤓

1. The issue has been isolated to gateway and nothing on my network . 
    1. I confirmed it first then spend 2 hours with T-Mobile level 2 support confirming the same
    2. Connecting directly to Nokia/T-Mobile gateway doesn’t change the situation
    3. Factory reset doesn’t help
  2. My unifi gateway monitors my ISP connection, and I’m constantly getting reports, that my internet has disconnected. 
  3. Support engineer placed an order for replacement router. I just got it. 
    1. NO CHANGE IN SITUATION. 
  4. What is going on T-mobile network that these ARC devices are not working well?
  5. Or is it my account?

WHAT THE HECK T-MOBILE??🤬🤬🤬

Should I go back to Verizon & Comcast?

I also have excessive packet loss on TMHI. I took my gateway into my campervan and parked directly under the Tmobile cell tower in our area (Boulder CO.) and have the same issue even with the excellent reception at the tower. Konung, have you had any success with your packet loss issue?

Not really. I ended up setting up a load-balancer (a small Ubiquiti device I had laying around) with a another LTE provider ( provided by work). It kicks in the second I loose connection on T-Mobile - so it’s essentially seemless for me now, but overall I’m still experiencing  packet loss.  If I hadn’t had a load-balancer/lte second wan option, I would have switched to AT&T DSL or Comcast cable at this point ( both options are much more expensive and suck a lot too)

Escalated all to t-mobile area engineers  via Tmobile Tweeter support. They are looking into it, but without any result so far. I had ticket open for 3 weeks now.

I am also seeing intermittent high packet loss, in my case with the “trash can.” It hasn’t moved and continues to report “Good” connection quality. Neither soft-rebooting nor hard-rebooting seems to help.

I’m having the same problem.  I’ve had a Gateway for about a year with no problems.  As of about 3 weeks ago, it’s not working.  Internet is not available on the Gateway.  My devices can connect to it but with no internet connection...what good is that?  Phones are working fine, even the mobile hotspots work (which is what I’ve been using and with a generous upgrade to 100GB by tmobile, wow!).  I’m on my 2nd Gateway and waiting on a 3rd.  I’ve done the troubleshooting (factory resets on and off the phone with tech support) on both devices so far and nothing has changed.  I’m in a rural area and our options are limited as far as having a steady internet connection...and even if I wasn’t in a rural area the prices are outrageous.  I’ve been with other providers and it usually boils down to “initially great service to gotcha, you’ve been tricked.”  You have to wonder if all of the execs from all of the major carriers sit around laughing at these forums...I’m exhausted from dealing with people when I call who have no clue as to what I’m talking about.  But they kinda have you screwed.  If you want internet and mobile phone service, you have to deal with them, especially in my case.  I guess going back to what I had in 1980 is my only choice.  No internet or cell phone.  Just a landline and the postal service.