Solved

Port Forwarding on Home Internet

Userlevel 1
Badge

From what I understand: Does the 5G home internet service not accept port forwarding options? If so, this doesn't make it home internet, it is merely a very advanced hot spot. I can neither work from home (as my VPN is not a commercial product that can be configured) nore play multiplayer games with friends. Both of which are deal breakers for the service. I was hoping for an alternative to the only cable company here, but this is an incomplete service that I can't even use for work. I already called customer service and received the same answers, and so my only hope (other than returning to the other company) is that there is word of this changing in the *near* future. Yet I see this has been a complaint of others for 2 months already.

icon

Best answer by djb14336 9 April 2021, 16:19

View original

14 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

the problem stems from the TMO side of things... even if you were able to set forwarding rules either manually or via UPnP, it won't work.

TMO is an IPv6 only network, and they chose to go the 464XLAT route for IPv4 support... which was well documented YEARS ago to break peer to peer style communications that rely on proper port traversal support.  It also compounds issues with VPN's because their tunnel functions much like a VPN itself, reducing packet size--this causes issues when you use a VPN that may be trying to use a larger packet size, which can cause fragmentation or even discarded packets.

Until they revamp their topology to properly support the dual stack environment, it will not be doable in it's "natural" state.

Can get around it somewhat with certain VPN services, but it will have it's limitations. Most only support P2P for certain known applications (like torrent software). The most flexible one I found (windscribe) that allows you to set custom forwarding rules requires an extra option for reserving your IP as well, costing upwards of $16/month depending if you subscribe on annual plans or not.

Badge

the problem stems from the TMO side of things... even if you were able to set forwarding rules either manually or via UPnP, it won't work.

TMO is an IPv6 only network, and they chose to go the 464XLAT route for IPv4 support... which was well documented YEARS ago to break peer to peer style communications that rely on proper port traversal support.  It also compounds issues with VPN's because their tunnel functions much like a VPN itself, reducing packet size--this causes issues when you use a VPN that may be trying to use a larger packet size, which can cause fragmentation or even discarded packets.

Until they revamp their topology to properly support the dual stack environment, it will not be doable in it's "natural" state.

Can get around it somewhat with certain VPN services, but it will have it's limitations. Most only support P2P for certain known applications (like torrent software). The most flexible one I found (windscribe) that allows you to set custom forwarding rules requires an extra option for reserving your IP as well, costing upwards of $16/month depending if you subscribe on annual plans or not.

It seems that Nokia is building the firmware for these devices as Optus in AU is having the same issues running the same device. Complaints here mirror theirs.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Unfortunately, doesn't really matter whether the firmware supports it or not... the white boxes actually do port forwarding.

The problem lies with how they set up/manage  their NETWORK that breaks port forwarding.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Well I didn't mean to click the solved button, guess that's what I get for being new to the UI.

Userlevel 2

Still a problem: bump 

Still an issue
Their new “Arcadian” modem only introduced device “schedules”… Which no one asked for. I’m cancelling home internet and putting dang cox cable back in.. :rolling_eyes:

Has there been any movement on this?

Just got mine Tuesday, and Im returning it tomorrow.  Speed is good, but not being able to put it into bridge mode is a joke and a deal breaker for me. 

Just got mine Tuesday, and Im returning it tomorrow.  Speed is good, but not being able to put it into bridge mode is a joke and a deal breaker for me. 

Nope, no traction at all. I cancelled mine and went back to Cox Cable. They sent a questionnaire on why I left, and specifically mentioned this as my main reason.

Bump - Is there nothing to be done?  I don’t want to go back to cox…..

I had to go back to Cox @ccpyle . They aren't doing anything about it. The newest model modem still has no port forwarding. I'm pretty sure it's a technology restriction.. The home WiFi uses their MPLS private net and shared IPs. I don't think they have the capability to do that with their traffic from the end point access point. It's not really a modem in the normal sense.

Grudgingly just went back to cox, too.  Home Internet dropped out twice in 12 hours, and tech support was less than helpful.  I spent less time cancelling and going back to Cox than I did with tech support.  Sad, sad, sad.

I was facing this same issue when trying to access my plex media server while not at home…. I had no luck till I found this article that claimed I could broker a connection to my home network without relying on port forwarding (https://www.twingate.com/blog/plex-media-server/.)

I was a bit skeptical at first but there was a free plan, so I figured I’d give it a go. Very glad I did since it’s been working like a charm and wasn’t bad to set up. Highly recommend Twingate if you need to create P2P connections to your 5G home internet.

I guess this is why I can no longer connect to my netgear router remotely.