Solved

Port settings for 4/5G gateway

• 14 July 2022
  • 7 replies

Badge

With previous cable co. providers I could ssh into my pcs at home from a remote location.  This is no longer possible.  I am GUESSING some incoming ports might be blocked.  There are no port filtering setting that I can locate on the gateway.  Help.

icon

Best answer by Cali Cat 14 July 2022, 21:48

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

There are no port forwarding features at this time for Tmobile Home Internet gateways.

Badge

Port forwarding is provided by an external router.  Wifi is completely disabled on the 4/5G gateway.  Am I to assume the gateway is open on all ports?

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Port forwarding is provided by an external router.  Wifi is completely disabled on the 4/5G gateway.  Am I to assume the gateway is open on all ports?

Nobody has any confirmation nor documentation on what ports are or are not open on the gateway. 
Also there is no bridge mode for external router. You can only use AP or double NAT in DHCP mode.

AP mode requires TMO router to do port forwarding. DHCP mode requires TMO router to port forward to external router. Neither is possible because there are no port forwarding features on the built in gateway router.

I believe Nokia (cylinder) has UPnP but Arcadyan (cube) currently does not.

Badge

I guess I am confused.  This time last week i had my TP-link router (with virtual servers configured by port forwarding) hooked up to a Charter DOCSIS cable router and life was fine.  I treated my Spectrum assigned IP address as static, which it was for long periods of time.  If I were away from home and wanted to grab a file from the home location i would, remotely:  sftp -P 29457 Stu@97.81.60.225.  The odd port number used is to keep hackers at bay.  The 97. ip is my semi-static IP as assigned by Spectrum.  I have simply removed the DOCSIS router and substituted your router and no virtual servers.  Can someone make me smart as far as what is wrong?  Thanks in advance.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

I guess I am confused.  This time last week i had my TP-link router (with virtual servers configured by port forwarding) hooked up to a Charter DOCSIS cable router and life was fine.  I treated my Spectrum assigned IP address as static, which it was for long periods of time.  If I were away from home and wanted to grab a file from the home location i would, remotely:  sftp -P 29457 Stu@97.81.60.225.  The odd port number used is to keep hackers at bay.  The 97. ip is my semi-static IP as assigned by Spectrum.  I have simply removed the DOCSIS router and substituted your router and no virtual servers.  Can someone make me smart as far as what is wrong?  Thanks in advance.

FYI, I am not affiliated with TMO. I am simply a TMO customer.

Your Spectrum cable modem supported bridge mode which allows your external router to get all unfiltered traffic from your public IP. On TMO 5G modems, there is no bridge mode so you can operate your external router as an access point or you can create a 2nd layer of DHCP. In either case, your external router on a TMO 5G modem will only see whatever traffic/ports that the built in router will allow which is the fundamental issue you are having.

There are no configuration options on TMO 5G modems other than wifi SSIDs and passwords. The other issue you will run into is that 5G public IP addresses can change on a daily, if not hourly basis just like a cellphone.

Badge

This I understand.  Thank you Cali Cat for your generosity.  I consider the matter closed.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Use something like Tailscale on your home computer and remote computer to connect back home. Exit node and routing configuration will allow you access to everything at home.