Solved

Printer connection

Badge
  • First activity
  • 0 replies

Does anyone know how to add a MAC address of printer to permitted devices on Gateway router?  Would appreciate assistance.  

icon

Best answer by iTinkeralot 26 May 2022, 16:06

View original

27 replies

Thank you. I am all st up!!

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Some devices cannot connect to the gateway’s default network.  You want to leave this network alone and ADD a second network with the + sign at the bottom of the Network tab in the T-Mobile Internet app.  For this new network, set the band to 2.4 GHz and set the WPA version to WPA/WPA2.  Try connecting your printer to this second network.  Use the default network for your other devices, as much as possible.

Here are the T-Mobile support instructions for how to add the second network with the app.

Android  How to create additional Wi-Fi networks | T-Mobile Internet app | Android | T-Mobile Support

iOS  How to create additional Wi-Fi networks | T-Mobile Internet app | iOS | T-Mobile Support

You should not have to add the printer MAC address to the gateway. Local LAN devices via wireless or wired should not be filtered by MAC address. The Nokia GW offers no filtering for the LAN and it is unlikely the Arcadyan does either given it has fewer configuration options than the prior Nokia T-Mobile gateway. There are firewall rules for the WAN but for the local LAN the printer should be recognized and joined as long as the SSID is a match and authentication is correct. Users have no influence over the open or closed ports on the WAN side so I don’t know how you can do what you are after. 

Of course there are some older printers that don’t seem to play well with the T-Mobile gateway. If you are getting a message about filtering maybe it is not a proper/accurate message. What suggests to you the MAC address of the printer needs to be permitted? 

Post the model of the printer. It may be an authentication issue not a filtering condition.

I have a HP Envy 5330 and the report gave me recommendations to add the printers MAC address to the router permitted devices. I am not able to connect even with the 5g wireless with a 2.5g wifi setup

Have an HP Envy 4500 series all-in-one.  Connecting to the T-Mobile gateway seems to be related in some way to the Network Security (WPA version) used.  If I use WPA/WPA2 w/ encryption mode TKIP&AES (older versions) then the printer connects. If I use the newer version WPA2/WPA3 (recommended) w/ encryption mode AES, then I get an error about MAC Address Filtering.  There is no place on the gateway (T-Mobile Internet) app that says anything about “MAC Address Filtering?”  T-Mobile Tech Support thinks this is an issue with the printer itself.  HP Tech Support is not that great (so far).

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

The primer probably supports WPA and since it was missing it could not connect. I believe that is probably one of the most common connection issues with older printers. For some older printers it can also be the driver for the printer’s network adapter but most of the older printers just seem to only use 2.4GHZ radio frequency. 

Good to hear you were successful. 

I was able to get my HP officejet 4630 to work by changing the WPA version from the recommended WPA2/WPA3 to WPA/WPA2. This setting is found in the T-Mobile app under the network tab and then clicking on the network name. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

If establishing a second SSID for the 2.4Ghz frequency does not work for the printer to connect right away be sure to confirm the wireless authentication capability of the printer itself. Some older printers only support WPA or WEP. If the proper authentication type is not allowed the printer will not be able to connect to the wireless LAN. 

In the event the printer still refuses to connect to the T-Mobile gateway in some cases using a network extender that is 802.11 n or ac may just work. For some reason, probably the implementation of the 802.11ax with the T-Mobile gateway, getting older printers to connect directly to the GW is difficult or not possible. The second SSID on the 2.4 GHz radio usually works it seems. 

Forget WPS with the T-Mobile gateway and just make the manual connection to the gateway. If all fails most older printers still have the USB for connection to a client direct in addition to the wireless. If the printer has an Ethernet port just use one of the available ports on the gateway or add a small switch for more Ethernet ports. With the direct Ethernet connection then the authentication to the WiFI is taken out of the equation so it is one obstacle less to deal with.

Using the T-Mobile Internet App, I added a second network with frequency band set to 2.4 GHz and WPA version set to WPA/WPA2. My HP Officejet Pro 8610 connected immediately and printed what was pending from my Macbook. I plan to play with the settings to determine what all works and what does not.

Same issue and same resolution as P Jooste…

I have an HP Deskjet 2050A all-in-one (J611 series).  We just switched to T-Mobile and have been trying to get everything wireless set back up again, the printer was the last piece.  I thought I had tried everything (reinstalling the printer drivers, seeing if there was a way to set a MAC address in the gateway, etc.) but the advice here of adding another SSID on the gateway specifically for the printer with 2.4 frequency band and WPA2 encryption only, the printer now is able to connect to the network and I can print from any device on the network.

Thanks especially to iTinkeralot!

To connect my HP DeskJet 2600 to my T Mobile router I should just hit the WPS button but the router doesn’t have one! Need help

I got the Canon Pixma MX922 working on the New T Mobile Home Internet Gateway - The square black one…!!

All I did was added another SSID (Called it KP Canon) and selected the 2.4 Frequency band AND ALSO changed the WPA Version to just WPA2… And Viola! Connected instantly.

Hope this helps somebody….

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

The HP Officejet 4635 will only use 2.4GHz due to its age. Those came out in 2014. It should support WPA. Maybe WPA2 but I can find no reference. Make sure the KBD21 gateway has WPA authentication enabled on the 2.4GHz radio. It might be necessary to run the 2.4GHz radio as a different SSID than the 5GHz network radios. 

• 802.11 b/g/n – 2.4 GHz networks
Userlevel 7
Badge +8

For the wireless authentication the manual reports WPA2-PSK (AES) so be sure it is enabled on the radio when attempting to authenticate. You will have to possibly adjust the authentication for the SSID for the 2.4GHz radio if you use 2.4GHz. 

>Wi-Fi® (Wireless LAN, 2.4 GHz, IEEE 802.11b/g/n)5

Configuration, router functions, setup procedures and security settings of network devices vary depending on the system environment. For details, see the manual for your network device or contact its manufacturer.

• Check if your device supports IEEE802.11n (2.4 GHz), IEEE802.11g or IEEE802.11b.
  • If your device is set to the "IEEE802.11n only" mode, WEP or TKIP cannot be used as a security protocol. Change the security protocol for your device to something other than WEP and TKIP or change the setting to something other than "IEEE802.11n only."
    The connection between your device and the wireless router will be temporarily disabled while the setting is changed. Do not proceed to the next screen of this guide until setup is complete.

To reset the PIXMA TR8620 to its factory default settings, follow these steps.

1. With the printer powered on, select Setup .
  2. Select Device settings .
  3. Scroll to the bottom of the menu list and select Reset settings.
  4. In the Reset settings menu, select the desired area you want to set back to the factory defaults.

I’ve been on chat with T-mobile tech support and have exhausted all the simple ideas on how to link my printer to home wifi service. I cannot seem to figure out how to sync my Cannon TR8620 to my Hotspot wifi. Apparently I need to re-set the former service password, but cannot seem to prompt the printer to do so. I tried to reset all settings in the printer. Any suggestions?

My HP Officejet 4635 printer will not connect with the new T-Mobile KBD21 Ser No JTOE1D43

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

It is sort of like being the willow. In Firefly when Alan Tyduk refers to being the willow he is bending with the wind. To go forward with old technology with newer tech you have to become the willow and bend in many cases. Time marches on and old tech dies or is left behind. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I would not go so far as to say the printers from 9-10 years ago won’t be useful with the T-Mobile gateways but it is much more probable that you will see issues with routers that are 802.11ax and the older printers with 802.11 a/b/g/n capability ONLY. Printers from 2013 or before are not going to be receiving any new drivers so if they do not work with 802.11ax capable WIFI routers then workarounds might be necessary. You might need make a workaround with an older router in bridge mode that does still function with the older printer wireless to make a wireless connection. 

If you can’t get the printer to work via wireless it could still be connected to a client via USB and shared on the network. Technology moves forward and older devices do become dinosaurs. To get 10 years of operation out of a printer is a pretty good run. If you don’t print much sure an older printer is fine. I keep my old Epson Workforce AIO connected via an Ethernet cable just because it has multi-tray capability and is a little faster than my newer Epson for its scans. I find the cost of ink is less for my newer Epson than for the 10+ year old AIO and the newer printer does a much better print job. It really comes down to how much you print and how dedicated you are to the old printer. It can still work but may take more effort to get it to do so than with a new printer that has current drivers and supports the newer 802.11ax and also WPA2 vs being stuck with WEP or WPA authentication and limitations for anything but a 2.4GHz wifi connection. Expectations have to be realistic.

Per another user: (my point is antiques often need a familiar voice to speak to)

After spending a couple hours on the phone with T-mobile “support” staff that got me absolutely nowhere except extremely frustrated, I took your advise and pulled an old range extender I had out of the drawer. I replicated the 2.4 band, hooked my printer’s wifi connection to it, and VOILA! I’m antiquated again.

It worked for venturebrowser and will probably work for others as well.

I’m having issues connecting to my t-mobile internet connection, I have a HP Envy 120 and it fails with filters and MAC too, I’ve tried so many times and have to admit, twice I saw it on my devices but was always offline,and when I tried shutting off the enabled and back on again it disappeared.

So what your saying is canon Pixma MX922 and all these other printers won’t be useful to this “gateway” and we all have to go buy new printers? And how do we know what new printers are compatible to the gateway?

sounds kinda crazy. Might be easier to just go back to another internet service

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

The Pixma MX922 may default to WEP but you need to select WPA or WPA2 authentication and you need to make sure the 2.4 GHz radio has WPA/WPA2 authentication enabled. It is not clear from the info I found what the default wireless authentication is for the MX922. The manual refers to using the WEP key during the WPA setup so you should avoid that and use a “Standard Setup” and then select WPA or WPA2 authentication. WEP is highly insecure and has been for many years. My guess is the reason it will not allow you to enter the passphrase or authentication key is because the authentication type is wrong. That printer hails from 2013 so it is highly possible the default authentication type is WEP. It is only b/g/n compatible but 802.11x is designed to be backward compatible to allow it to communicate. The Nokia GW does not support WEP so I expect the Arcadyan also only supports WPA/WPA2/WPA3 therefore it would ignore a WEP authentication type as it will not understand it. For good reasons.

Also have the same issue with my Canon Pixma MX922. I can select the SSID but it doesn’t allow me to enter a password.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

You don’t state what Canon printer model you have so that leaves way too many variables. There are way too many models of Canon printers to make any assumptions. If it is a printer from 8-12 years ago then I would guess it could be due to an authentication issue or an older radio and an incompatibility with the newer 802.11ax solution in the T-Mobile GW. If you have an older router that can be changed to bridge mode and it supports 2.4GHz which it should and the same authentication as the Canon printer then you might be able to build a solution with that linking up to the T-Mobile gateway. 

It might be helpful to take the Canon printer and set it to factory default and then perform a manual connection to the WIFI. It is probably 2.4GHz so confirm the authentication on the 2.4GHz channel and make sure it allows what the Canon supports.

Unable to add my Cannon printer to T-Mobile Wi-Fi. 

Thank you so much for that detailed reply! After spending a couple hours on the phone with T-mobile “support” staff that got me absolutely nowhere except extremely frustrated, I took your advise and pulled an old range extender I had out of the drawer. I replicated the 2.4 band, hooked my printer’s wifi connection to it, and VOILA! I’m antiquated again :D Thank you so much again for your help!

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

From the WIFI interface specification i can see it supports 802.11 b/g OR b/g/n depending upon the purchase location. Bottom line it uses the 2.4 GHz frequency and authentication is WPA2 Personal as the most secure so the 2.4 GHz frequency must support WPA 2 Personal. Because of the specifications it appears to be a bit older. There have been a number of users reporting issues with printers that have older WIFI radios. There might be a newer driver for the printer, not highly likely, but worth investigating. The problem could be with the T-Mobile gateway’s backward compatibility. I have the Nokia GW not the Arcadyan KVD21 and I have a newer Epson and an 845 AIO which has similar wireless capability. With the 845 all in one it only supports WPA so I only use it as necessary but it does connect on the 2.4 GHz frequency. 

If you have an older router, you have total control over, which you can use to make a work around for the 2.4 GHz WIFI connection and have it make a bridge mode or AP mode connection to the T-Mobile GW then you might be able to get the network connection working. It might be better to just get/use an extender that supports 802.11 b/g/n and not 802.11 ac/ax and try to get it to link to a wireless extender that links up to the T-Mobile GW. There are a number of user responses on the community related to efforts to get older printers to link to the WIFI. Maybe there are yet clues to be found. Reddit is another avenue to explore for answers as well.

If you cant get the WIFI connection to work you could connect to it via USB. The Windows and MAC OS specifications appear to date the printer a bit back to 6-8 years ago so even though it should work with the newer WIFI radios the drivers written for it may not play well with the newer 802.11 ax capable gateway. If you have the Arcadyan GW it could be there where the problem resides as the software for that router/gateway seems to be not as mature as it should be. I doubt that the “MAC Filtering” is the real issue here. 

OK, so I was being a bit conservative on the generation of the printer. Those were initially released in September of 2011 so it might be considered a dinosaur. A newer, more efficient printer with better WIFI security might be in order. If you like Epson the ET-2760 AIO works quite well and is not that expensive. If you need multi tray, or faster printing capability and more features you might step up to the next level. You can fight with an older printer or upgrade and have a secure WIFI connection. Using a USB connection to print to the NX430 could be a reasonable workaround.