Question

printer issues

• 14 November 2022
  • 2 replies

Badge

We recently switched internet provider to t-mobile and received a gateway router for our home. now my hp deskjet 3051a printer will not work. The new router does’nt have a wps button to use and the printer does’nt have any connection ports to plug the printer to the router directly. It looks as though i am going to have to buy a new printer unless someone can help me get this old printer to work. Thanks

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

There's quite a bit of issues with wireless printers connecting. Maybe @iTinkeralot has some insight.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Wireless connections with older printers can be a bit more effort. It is NOT terribly extreme but does take a little finesse to make it work. I found an obscure reference to the wireless frequency, which is what I expected:

2.4-GHz Wireless LAN operation  (channels 1 to 13)

Since the printer is like, very old, it clearly will only use the 2.4 GHz frequency. I am going to guess it may only have WPA or maybe WPA2 authentication so we will start from there.

With the gateway you will need to either separate the 2.4 GHz radio from the 5GHz radios (SSID) network or add another network SSID for 2.4GHz ONLY with WPA/WPA2 authentication. I would refer that SSID with a new name like Print24 or something that makes sense to you. In effect it will be a different network name than the connections for the other clients. All devices will still be able to talk to one another on the local network but the printer will probably NOT play well on the normal WI-FI 6 operation. I cannot find a formal specification reference but I am going to guess it is 802.11 b,g,n possibly given the support way back to XP and Vista. 

The network adapter driver for the printer probably has characteristics that prevent it from connecting where the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz radios are used in the newer 802.11ax (WIFI 6) technology. 

IF you have the Sagemcon gateway or the Arcadyan gateway you will need to use the T-Mobile home internet mobile application on a cell phone to have administrative access. If it does not allow the addition of an additional 2.4 GHz SSID then the existing 2.4 GHz radio needs to be separate from the high and low band 5GHz radios. I don’t use the application first hand as I have the Nokia gateway and I use a browser as it allows that. If you get stuck get a support agent online and request them to direct you through the process. It is not a long process, just a few steps but requires getting familiar with the interface. Once you play with the application you should be able to get it done.

SEE BELOW: (use the 3rd link below and watch use the online “step by step” presentation)

The 5G Gateway is preconfigured with a single Wi-Fi network, which functions on both 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz frequencies and supports intelligent band steering.

You might want to have the page open with the step by step or just watch it a time or two and do it. If you get the additional SSID established with the 2.4 GHz radio and the authentication is compatible with the older printer then it should be able to connect. You might have to default the network settings on the printer before attempting the connection but maybe not. 

If the printer refuses to connect maybe it is time to come forward to 2022 and get a new All in One printer with the newer printing technology and full support. I did just that with an Epson AIO ET-2760 and it works very well. The ink loading is direct and lower cost. Print quality with newer printers is better. For me it was a no brainer. Fight the old printer that did not print as well as it used to or just get a nice new one that does a great job. You have options.