Question

Printer won't connect

• 25 December 2022
  • 11 replies

Badge

I just switched to T-Mobile 5G Gateway internet, and have had no problems at all...until I tried to use my printer. It’s a Canon Pixma TR8520, and I’ve been working for 2 hours to get it to connect, but it refuses. Tried automatic detection and manual connection, but it can’t connect. Because of that, my laptop (Lenovo ThinkPad) can’t find the printer either. I uninstalled and re-installed the printer software & drivers, and even moved my router right next to the printer...but zilch. Any bright ideas??

11 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

The issue with Canon Pixma printers has been a problem for other users as well. It most likely has to do with the WiFi network in the printer which is not WPA 2/3 compatible.

Use the T-Mobile Internet app to create another wireless network in addition to the one you've already created. Give is a unique name (SSID) like Canon and make sure the frequency band is set to WPA. Change the wireless setting on the printer to connect to your new network. If the WiFi on the printer is the problem because of it's age, this should allow it to connect.

Check back in on the forum and let us know how it worked out.

Badge

The online manual for the TR8520 shows the Wireless LAN specs as WPA2-PSK (TKIP/AES). Doesn’t that mean it’s WPA2 compliant?

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

It should, but since you said this was the only device that won't connect, the problem is most likely the Canon itself. The network interface is the first place to look, and setting up an additional network with a different SSID and frequency band on 2.4 mHz would at least eliminate on reason you're not successfully connecting to it.

For the record, I've owned a couple Canon inkjets and find them total junk. I switched over to Epson a few years ago and never looked back and have never had the problems I did with the Canon.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

One tactic I have seen used with printers where the network adapter does not want to connect is to reset the device to default. Sometimes adapters get a bit stuck when going from one network to another so they do not “adapt” very well. With age the printers have software and drivers that are no longer supported for the newer OS releases so they can be a bit fickle. If adding the additional 2.4 GHz SSID with WPA/WPA2 (AES) authentication type does not work to get it connected then well it might be time for a new printer. The Pixma TR8520 came out in 2014 so I am sure there are no current driver releases directed at that printer. The average printer tends to only last 3-5 years. Some more but with age they all tend to lose their edge. 

The other option, though I don’t find them attractive, is to use a network extender that broadcast 2.4GHz with the proper authentication type. They work but the cheaper ones, well you get what you pay for. My feeling it is better to put the investment in a more reliable printer vs. a workaround that may only prolong the use of the 5-6 year old printer for 6 months to a year. If you use a printer a great deal then getting a newer AIO printer with the newer technology is just part of life.

Badge

OK, you’ve half-convinced me I need to spring for a new printer. But here’s my question: how can I tell which wireless printers are either compatible with 5G, or are dual-band? None of the specs on any of the websites show that. Or are all newer wireless printers dual-band and/or 5G compatible?

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

The printer network specifications tend to be listed and can be searched online. I just went out and bought a new Epson in 2021 after getting the gateway. The newer wireless adapters used in the printers are newer generation and have current driver support. The main problem with the older ones is also the limited support for the newer prevalent wireless authentication types. Older weak authentication types tend to be omitted in the newer ones. Old drivers just do not work well with the newer standards. WPA or WPA2 are common. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

I agree with iTinkeralot’s reply above. Both the Epson and Canon websites will give you the latest technical specs on the capabilities of WiFi in the printer.

Were you able to create a new network as WPA? I'd definitely try that fix before springing for a new printer.

I’ve given up trying to connect my Canon PIXMA printer to the gateway wirelessly. 

Why won’t it work using an Ethernet cable to the gateway? That works on my old DSL modem, but not on the gateway

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Howard, first, just an editorial comment about the Canon PIXMA. I owned one and eventually threw it in the garbage. It started not printing anything and nothing seemed to fix it. I replaced it with an Epson ET-2750 and have never looked back.

Now, about your problem. There is no reason that plugging in the printer via Ethernet shouldn't work. If it doesn't, it's possible that the old setup is still in your Canon’s memory. Have you tried resetting the printer back to factory settings and then re-running the initial network setup on the Canon? That’s where I'd start.

Also, did you create a secondary network on the T-Mobile Home Internet gateway? You might try adding a new WiFi network for the Canon. Use the T-Mobile app and tap the Network tab on the bottom, then the “+” button on the lower right. Create a new 2.4 GHz WiFi network with a unique name (SSID), just for your printer. Make sure the WPA type is WPA/WPA2. This is different from your main network which, by default, is WPA2/WPA3. See if that doesn't allow your printer to connect after you completely remove the existing WiFi information from the Canon.

Good luck!

You nailed it. After writing my post I figured out that I needed to reset the network up (on the printer) as a LAN. I had tried setting it as WLAN, and didn’t realize that it wouldn’t function as a LAN/ethernet without resetting it. I don’t recall needing to make ir LAN-only the old DSL...but that was years ago. Setting up a 2nd network on the Gateway didn’t work.

The PIXMA has worked reasonably well for us for over 5 years. It sometimes makes a lot of noise getting set for a print job or resetting afterwards, but fits into the house nicely. 

Thanks

Badge

The t-mobile router doesn't work with some Dell computers.  T-mobile Philippines support was clueless.  I solved the problem by connecting via a wifi extender.  Maybe that will work for you.