Question

Pulse Secure VPN - Keeps dropping every few minutes

• 11 June 2022
  • 1 reply

Badge

Hello Everyone, 

I have been using the Tmobile Home internet for about 2 months now. 

My work VPN is very important to work from home. My laptop is provided by A organization and I am deployed on a project for B organization. The B organization uses Pulse Secure VPN and so I need to connect to it to access B organization’s system. 

It has been working fine for 45 days but now all of a sudden, the VPN keeps disconnecting every few minutes. 

Gateway device - NOK 5G21

Hardware version - 3TG00739B

Software version - 1.2104.00.0286

My worked with IT  tech team of B organization for VPN issues, they checked the log and informed “the host checker is timing out and so the VPN is disconnecting - since my laptop is provided by A organization, I need to work with A organization to resolve the issue”

When I connected to A organization IT Team, they are not able to help. 

Can anyone please suggest how to resolve the issue ?

Thanks in advance.  

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

You mentioned working fine for “45 days” which I assume is meant to say no changes made to your TMO service, TMO gateway, and your laptop during that period. Based on this assumption we can eliminate the following possibilities:

• Some folks have reported problems with VPN due to TMO home internet gateway changing public IP on a regular basis creating a conflict for VPN services that require static IPs. However, in your 45 days of no issues, TMO gateway would have changed IP multiple times but your VPN still worked.
  • You don’t mention any change in bandwidth or general connectivity which would rule out something changing on your local cell phone tower. 
  • Your current firmware version is the latest but it was pushed out in April so the firmware did not change during your 45 days of operation.

Assuming that company A made no changes to your laptop, then one must conclude something changed on the configuration of VPN provided by company B.

A couple questions you can ask to get to the bottom of this:

• Does the VPN settings require a static IP? TMO IPs are not static.
  • Does the VPN settings require an MTU of 1500? TMO uses 1420.
  • Does VPN support IPV6? TMO uses IPV6.