Question

QoS and VLAN settings on High-Speed Internet Gateway

• 17 February 2021
  • 10 replies

Badge

I have the Nok 5G21 gateway modem/router.  I need to be able to setup different VLANs and QoS rules in order to isolate some devices from others and limit bandwidth on others, etc.  These are pretty standard features on most modern routers.  Is there a way to do this with this device?  And if not, why not?  This is a big limitation.  The UI seems to be pretty dumbed down.  I see that an older device (white square looking thing) seems to have had these features, but this new device (grey cylinder) does not.

I am aware that I can set up multiple SSIDs, however, these are NOT isolated from one another.  To test this I set up two 5GHz SSIDs, connected a computer to each via WiFi.  And they both share the same IP space and I can ping each from the other.  Therefore, they are not isolated.  I want two completely isolated networks.  i.e. a guest network or similar (again, standard router features).

Does anyone know a solution to this?  I would appreciate an official response from T-Mobile support here.  Maybe there is a way to enable these features?

10 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Can’t answer your question, but would it be reasonable to put an inexpensive (aka used) router running DD-WRT (https://dd-wrt.com/) after the 5G21 and your lan(s)?

My Asus router was great for the way we used it. I could use 2.4, 5ghz and also have a separate guest network.  

I used the guest network for guests (duh) without a password and also for the kids so I could turn off their access to the internet without cutting access to our main components like the PC and the TVs.

I hooked up the Asus router to the tmobile gateway and it works (get a signal), but I can’t log in to the Asus router settings to manage the usage.

Any thoughts why?

And also, Tmobile, will you PLEASE update the system to allow for separate networks?!  

Userlevel 1
Badge

You will probably need to be connected to the router on the LAN it created to log into it.  Most routers block WAN access to settings for security purposes. Make sure you are not connected to the T-Mobile Gateway and are connected to the LAN after your Asus router.

I’m a new user of the T Mobile 5G Gateway.  When I connect my R7800 Netgear WAN port to the Ethernet port of the Gateway I experience 10 MB speeds.  When I WiFi to the Gateway I am able to achieve 100 MB speeds.

What router settings should I use to resolve this and experience the Gateways full potential via my routers more robust feature set?  My router is configured to use Cloudfair DNS, could T Mobile be deprecating performance over other DNS?

Badge

I’m a new user of the T Mobile 5G Gateway.  When I connect my R7800 Netgear WAN port to the Ethernet port of the Gateway I experience 10 MB speeds.  When I WiFi to the Gateway I am able to achieve 100 MB speeds.

What router settings should I use to resolve this and experience the Gateways full potential via my routers more robust feature set?  My router is configured to use Cloudfair DNS, could T Mobile be deprecating performance over other DNS?

hmmm, I noticed worse performance through the LAN port when directly connecting my PC to the Gateway verses connecting over WiFi.  Not as bad as what you described but the Wifi seems to have the proper performance and the LAN port seems to be degraded.  Not what I would liek to see for a home internet product.

Another issue appeared when testing my system IPv6 functionality.  Although the Nokia, I’ve read is operating exclusively on IPv6, my network, via the router fails test for IPv6 functionality.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Another issue appeared when testing my system IPv6 functionality.  Although the Nokia, I’ve read is operating exclusively on IPv6, my network, via the router fails test for IPv6 functionality.

Ya, I can’t get IPv6 working at all either...

T-Mobile, we need the ability to assign DHCP Scopes and VLAN’s.   I am getting great speed, but I do not want to spend another 500-1000 dollars for addtional hardware to do this when it can be done with a software update.   Otherwise, I think the device is great.   I would like to be able to change the default gateway as well.

I have the Nok 5G21 gateway modem/router.  I need to be able to setup different VLANs and QoS rules in order to isolate some devices from others and limit bandwidth on others, etc.  These are pretty standard features on most modern routers.  Is there a way to do this with this device?  And if not, why not?  This is a big limitation.  The UI seems to be pretty dumbed down.  I see that an older device (white square looking thing) seems to have had these features, but this new device (grey cylinder) does not.

I am aware that I can set up multiple SSIDs, however, these are NOT isolated from one another.  To test this I set up two 5GHz SSIDs, connected a computer to each via WiFi.  And they both share the same IP space and I can ping each from the other.  Therefore, they are not isolated.  I want two completely isolated networks.  i.e. a guest network or similar (again, standard router features).

Does anyone know a solution to this?  I would appreciate an official response from T-Mobile support here.  Maybe there is a way to enable these features?

Do we have an answer for this yet? This seems like basic functionality that is missing but is very badly needed...

Userlevel 1
Badge

Unfortunately, the short answer is no. Only possible solution is complex, cumbersome, and not without network degradation/problems. The ultimate solution will be that T-Mobile coming up with a new hardware configuration (on the gateway side) and proper software to allow user management.