Question

Remote Desktop Not Working

• 10 June 2022
  • 8 replies

Badge

I am evaluating T-Mobile Home Internet to try to replace Comcast and I have a new T-Mobile KVD21 Arcaydyan modem.  Everything on my network works fine except for Remote Desktop. 

• I use Remote Desktop quite a bit for both connecting to a desktop computer on the same home network from other areas in my house and connecting to a desktop computer in another location outside of my local home network.
  • I use Logmein Hamachi to create a VPN connection and the standard Windows 10 Remote Desktop application (RDP) to make a connection
  • Logmein Hamachi is able to successfully create a VPN connection to both computers that I am trying to access but I then can’t get a Remote Desktop connection

I’ve read all the posts on this forum related to this topic and it seems to be a limitation of the T-Mobile router and there doesn’t seem to be a solution.  This is an important capability to me and if I can’t get it to work, I will have to discontinue my evaluation of T-Mobile Home Internet.  I have filed a ticket with T-Mobile support and have not yet gotten a response.

Is there any hope of solving this problem in the future?  I’m really disappointed that I can’t get this to work because I think 5G Home Internet has enormous potential for the future; however, perhaps the technology is immature at this time.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

You can use the search function for the Community conversations and get an entire listing of postings for remote desktop. There are 24 conversations posted on the topic.

Badge

Yes, I’ve done that.  I’m just looking for any update to see if there is any hope of solving this issue in the future

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I did a quick search and found an interesting thread on Reddit that has information on ZeroTier. It is a solution that creates a virtualization layer similar to VXLAN on top of an encrypted LAN. It is worth investigating. Is it better than using a VPN, well the only way to know is to investigate and test it out.

https://www.reddit.com/r/tmobileisp/comments/lphi6e/figured_out_a_way_to_connect_to_my_home_network/

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I doubt T-Mobile has any real incentive to open the ports. The future could be way out there.

Check it out to get an idea: https://docs.zerotier.com/zerotier/manual/#3_4_1

Badge

I got it to work!!  In Logmein Hamachi, I copied the IPV4 address for the remote computer and connected to that instead of connecting to the computer name and that works!  I think if you try to use Remote Desktop to connect to a remote computer by name, it might use the IPV6 address.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I have found Reddit to be a pretty  good source for ideas and answers. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

That’s interesting. That might be. Even with a packet capture it might be hard to confirm exactly what was done. 

Change MTU on Computer - just work around 

set to 1390 or find proper MTU by ping with MTU command 

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTRDu62Ft/?k=1