Question

Replacing cable modem with TM gateway

Badge

I have an eero mesh for the house connected to a Spectrum modem. I got the TMO gateway (Arkadyn model) but the TMO app has nothing for advanced configuration.

Is there a secret way to turn off WiFi in the TMO box? I see lots of posts about setting up a double NAT but no details at all. Similarly, no config for pass through/bridge or Access Point?

Is there another app to configure this model? Just swapping the Spectrum modem with the TMO gateway shows No Internet on my eero router. Possibly power cycling the eero will get it to hook up as a simple modem?

10 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

I got the TMO gateway (Arkadyn model) but the TMO app has nothing for advanced configuration.

Is there a secret way to turn off WiFi in the TMO box?

Hidden Settings - Arcadyan KVD21 T-Mobile 5G Home Internet - Turn Off Wifi

Courtesy iTinkeralot

Badge

Looks like a config dump. I haven't seen anything in the app that could load any code.

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

Looks like a config dump. I haven't seen anything in the app that could load any code.

Gosh … Click on the link.

Badge

OK

Badge

So I can turn off the tm WiFi. Other than plugging my eero lan cable into the tm box, how do I get the two to talk? The eero WiFi says no internet connection.

You have to plug your eero into the Gateway. I just unplugged my eero’s power, then connected the network cable to the gateway. Powered the eero back up & everything connected & worked well. 

Badge

Ok. I didn't power cycle the eero

Badge

And the eero works just fine with the TM gateway.

Well, not quite.

The previous subnet was 192.168.4 on my eero.
But the TM gateway forced the eero to 192.168.12

So my fixed IP devices are offline (stuck on the .4 network).

Do I just change the subnet on the TM gateway?
Will that cause any issues since the TM box might be expecting .12?

Odd - my eero Pro 6 just kept the same .4 and had no issues with the gateway changing it. You can’t change that info on the gateway - it’s extremely limited. 

I’m assuming you have the eero as the primary gateway and not set to pass through. 

Badge

I have the eero Pro (not Pro 6). There is nothing in the eero web page to setup primary/AP/bridge, etc. I switched the gateway cable back to Spectrum and it seems to have recovered back to the .4 subnet. The eero gateway address is hard coded to the .4 subnet, but it changed to .12 when I moved it to the TM box. Apparently DNS on the eero refreshed all the active DNS device addresses when it switched everything to the .12 subnet. I don’t see anything in the eero menu concerning local subnet sourcing.

After a couple of reboots of the eero (using Spectrum modem) and another rebooting the modem and then the eero, an IP scan shows things back to normal. No changes made to any eero settings.

Note that I had Spectrum turn off WiFi and set the modem to passthrough so I could use WiFi from eero only. Not sure if that caused the issue from the TM box.